Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:11AM Kyniel said

Just for a second thought that Rubi's powers of foresight were able to see into blog posts as well as profession reveals, but it turns out that it was just an innocent mistake... It's not on the blog, it's on the main GW2 page. Hope this helps people avoid the confusion I had :)

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:11AM Mynsc said

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:44AM Rubi said

@Kyniel Yikes, we were told it was going to be on the blog! Thanks for the heads up, it's been corrected.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:14AM Mynsc said

• Half a heart
Kinda disappointed at the PvP options, especially at the fact that everyone gets auto-boosted when entering the tournaments. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong... is there really no difference between players when it comes to number of skills / gear ?

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:22AM Kyniel said

@Mynsc I guess it depends on your interpretation of 'necessary skills and items'. I'm hoping this means there is a core set of skills etc that are unlocked, but that some still need to be unlocked in PvE. Gear must be like this though, they can't be giving access to every item in game... My guess is that the provided skills and gear will be a baseline so you can compete, but people who've invested many hours in a character would still have an edge.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:03AM iPewPewK said

@Kyniel In competitive PvP there is absolutely no skill/gear progression. You can mix and match to get your favorite combinations, but everyone has access to everything right from the get-go. The emphasis is PURELY on player skill here, and no amount of differences in time played will effect it. This is how it should be in a competitive mode.

That said, there is also the WvWvW PvP which is not competitive and has gear/stat progression. You can get boosted up to 80 from level 1, but a level 1 will not have quite the same stats as a legitimate level 80. That said, you can still remain competitive against others, just there is some progression here.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:22AM (Unverified) said

@Mynsc an even playing ground disappoints you?

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:23AM Apakal said

@Ren54

Because when all players are the same level, there's still no need to balance skills and classes, right?

Seriously, just give it a rest. If you're not just outright making crap up, you're generally 100% wrong and you're ignorance is always on full display.

How long are you going to keep this up? How much longer can you stand looking like a complete imbecile? Its embarrassing.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 12:01PM Apakal said

@Ren54

If I put the time and effort into learning my character and learning the game, they can take all my gear away and I'm still not going to be on the same level as a noob. Why? Because I'll have skill and experience and they won't.

And what should ultimately matter is actual real skill. Gear has been used for a long time as a crutch to close the disparity between skilled players and noobs (even though skilled players still earn better gear faster). Now you don't need that crutch. If you're a skilled player, you can walk into any match and use your knowledge and ability to win, which is exactly how it should be.

You shouldn't need to grind hours of battlegrounds or arenas, losing over and over again just to get enough gear to actually be competitive. That makes the entire spirit of competition entirely meaningless. It might as well be a cash shop at that point.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 12:10PM Ehra said

@Ren54

They've done almost this exact approach in the original Guild Wars already. The only difference is that, instead of starting at a disadvantage until you unlock things with Balthazar faction, everything is unlocked from the get go.

If veteran players ever find themselves "on the same level as a noob" then that's only because a person who's new to the game is able to play their character just as well as the veteran, which should be downright embarrassing on the experienced player's part.

With that said, WvWvW doesn't automatically put everyone on an equal playing field and earning good gear in PvE will give you an advantage here, so there's really no reason for anyone to be upset about anything here.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:20PM Mynsc said

@(Unverified)

An even playing ground does not disappoint me. I am confident I will hold my own without any gear advantage. My problem is that it's just not what I want from an MMO. If I want an always there even playing ground I'll go play TF2, LoL, SC2. If I want more progression and character advancement, I come and play MMOs.

In a nutshell, getting rid of the progression part in a MMO just for the sake of accessibility is BS in my opinion.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:53AM dinhosaur said

I understand why anet went the route they did, but i am pretty underwhelmed by having 1 gametype.

No doubt their proposed system is great though with hotjoins and tourneys and wvwvw, but it really doesn't give off the feel that the game will be very hardcore esports.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:54AM dinhosaur said

@dinhosaur

Which btw is fine... just that I know there will be a bunch of casual gw2 pvpers who try to argue about how they are just as good as top broodwar or 1.6 players or something and that they are a true part of esports.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:22AM correllis said

@dinhosaur

Last I checked, sc2 fair pretty well on just one gametype - skirmish.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:26AM dinhosaur said

@correllis

Last I checked this was an mmo, not a 400apm 1v1 rts.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:39AM Fabius Bile said

@dinhosaur
1 gametype? count with me

HotJoin PvP is your standard battlegrounds. the article hints at different maps and team sizes, all the way from 1 to 10.
we can assume the maps and team sizes represent different game modes, like CTF, annihilation, conquest or capture the monks, like in the original GW game.

then you have tournaments, which come in 4 flavors, one of them being player-run tournaments...that sounds great doesnt it?

and then you have the world vs world vs world persistent PvP.

my maths say thats more than 1 game type...

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:16AM dinhosaur said

@Fabius Bile

Conquest...

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:25AM Apakal said

@dinhosaur

Why does any of this matter to you? Oh, obviously because you're one of those e-peen stroking leetsauce little kids that generally ruins whatever game they touch.

Maybe GW2 won't be the game for you. In fact, I encourage you to avoid it. For all our sake...

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:16AM correllis said

Regardless whether is it a MMO, RTS, FPS, or MOBA, if you want to make it a interesting and challenging esports, there is a certain rule-sets to follow. And having multiple gametypes is definitely not one of them.

Do you see multiple gametypes in any other esports? And if you want to point me to WoW, i am speechless.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:23AM dinhosaur said

No diff genres diff mechanics. For mmos the base gametype should be deathmatch, after that you can have fruity stuff like conquest.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM