Posted: Aug 16th 2011 12:27PM SnarlingWolf said

@Ren54

What's the point in being secret? Everyone will always guess and make assumptions at your numbers and everytime you close/merge a server people will guess that you're dying. If you simply spit out real numbers there can't be wild speculation.

And (this isn't directed at you unless of course you did it) it gets more amusing everytime that the Trion fans come out and down rate comments that are not offensive and don't break any rules. Get over your fan boy nature and learn to have a conversation. Actions like that is what makes gamers hate certain online communities.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 12:50PM (Unverified) said

I love all these posts that condemn games for being clones of WoW. Guess what, fanboi, WoW was nothing but a clone of EQ. Go google up some of the discussions about it back in the day. Hypocrites. You kids make me laugh.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 1:34PM dinhosaur said

@(Unverified)

What a naive thing to say. WoW may be based off a basic eq template, and have many top eq players behind its design, but it is not an eq clone. Blizzard took the best of all the games in the industry at the time, added a focus on instancing, and polished everything.

They DID not take the true level grind that was old EQ, they did not take the modless open world raiding.

It would be like calling every game that uses levels and classes an eq clone, despite the fact that those classes and levels may be a lot different in what they mean and how they impact your character.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 1:37PM Vagrant Zero said

@Fabius Bile For Rift to be a pure clone, as you so put it in your own idiotic words, it would have to be exactly identical. Which it clearly isn't. Clearly, you're just being a troll now.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 1:13PM relgoth said

" "new era" of premium games that are being fashioned in the forges of increased competition, challenging business models, higher development costs, and lower social interaction."

Lower social interaction? I think he is VERY wrong about that especially. The point for many people is to have conversations with people that they wouldnt normally meet in a real world setting. And its fun to meet new people and make friends that are possible half a world away. Besides its the people that make a game fun even after youve done everything there is to do in the game itself

Or you might meet your current gf like i did, whats going to happen to all of that in his world? The day that happens is the day i quit mmos for good.

Thankfully though it seems he is wrong and games are looking into more ways to help you keep track and make online friends.

Sorry rift i was rooting for you i even bought the game the first month, but if thats how your people think i dont think ill ever reactivate my account or support your business again with that kind of attitude.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 1:19PM Utakata said

@Fabius Bile

If you're going to troll, try not to blatantly lie while doing it. Trion has not closed or merged any servers since RIFT's release.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 1:33PM Vagrant Zero said

@Fabius Bile They haven't closed a single server. And even if they did they've got the servers to spare.

So stop spewing forth your inaccurate ...*puts on sunglasses* ... bile.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 1:50PM Utakata said

It's nice to know, there's perhaps a better option than WoW riight now...

*Looks into into buying a subscription for RIFT*

...I'm sure that "thinking out loud" would rankle troll feathers more. But my gaming decisions are not based on their claims, odious or otherwise.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 2:53PM ChongShin said

Trion / Failon doesn't need to be citing Raid: Dungeons of Telara as an example of "how things should be done". lol.. Please. It's the exact opposite.

But maybe they're talking about the cute little kiddie pool next door.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 3:26PM moiax said

@(Unverified)

It's largely irrelevant, but the 6 month mark will not occur until October.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 3:41PM (Unverified) said

Any time an article even hints at a positive note for Trion Worlds and RIFT, the comment thread is flooded with haters. Why is that?

The haters always link riftstatus.com. A few days ago, someone did this as "proof" that server numbers were "plummeting" in the RIFT forums. So I went to the site, looked at the servers I played on, then randomly looked at a half dozen more. What I saw were numbers that meandered around, generally flat, maybe down a little bit over the past three months. I couldn't find one server that had "plummeted" by any measure of the word I know.

It's always anecdotal evidence. My guild left, I can't find anyone to raid with, it takes too long for me to get a group, etc. If any one says my guild is fine, or our raids are full, we are accused of lying or being Trion employees. It baffles me.

I play on Estrael. I don't see ONE DAMNED SIGN of trouble. The world is always full of people, wherever I go. We're able to put together PUG raids just by asking in our guild alliance channel. I can LFD into a random T1 as a DPS, even. When I'm rambling around Freemarch, I meet new players all the time.

So if RIFT is dying, it's the healthiest damn corpse I've ever seen. When a game is in trouble, you see signs of it. Employees laid off, companies merged or bought out (*cough* EA Mythic *cough*), things like that. Not one sign of trouble from Trion Worlds.

However, even if RIFT WERE dying, and I don't believe it is, but even if it WERE, what does it matter to you haters? What do you hope to gain by jumping in all these threads, screaming that Trion is lying, and there are only ten players left in the entire game?

Is it that you made suggestions that Trion didn't implement? I've seen dozens of suggestions made by players that HAVE come in to the game. Maybe yours sucked. Maybe you're a pompous ass and made it in an imperious manner. Maybe they just haven't gotten to it yet.

I really can't imagine what would inspire me to camp comment threads and spew hate. I don't play WOW any more. I don't camp WOW threads and complain. I just moved on to a game I like better. I don't play LoTRO, or City of Heroes, or DAoC, or Star Trek Online any more either, after subbing to all those games. I don't run around hating on them.

tl;dr RIFT is doing okay, maybe even good, and haters can't be explained or understood.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 5:37PM dinhosaur said

@(Unverified)

Server mergers, free trials this early in it's life. It isn't doing ok.

Just because there are a couple populated servers doesn't mean most server are like that. It is the same for WoW in NA, which has declined dramatically, and asia has picked up the slack.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:40AM Utakata said

@dinhosaur

There hasn't been any server merges since RIFT's release. Please stop lying to prove a point.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 4:24PM SocksForYou said

I played Rift briefly and thought it was VERY good, though not groundbreaking in any significant way.

With that said, I was tremendously impressed at how polished the game was at release. I wish more developers would put that much time into their product for launch.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 4:31PM real65rcncom said

@SocksForYou

So was I.

It was amazing to see what five years of working on one mmo could deliver.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 8:06PM (Unverified) said

Free trials prove nothing. Free trials are expected from games that require a subscription. WoW has had free trial accounts for YEARS, they've just now gone to accounts that aren't time limited. RIFT trial accounts are still just 7 days.

Server merges have already been explained. There was an unexpected surge of interest in the game at launch, which HAS dropped back to a stable level, they opened twenty-plus additional servers. So the population was scattered. That, combined with upgrading hardware to increase server load capacities, has let to consolidation.

Face it, YOU don't know any more than I do how the numbers are in this game. You just DON'T. Nor do I, as I freely admit.

But that doesn't answer the question. Why the Trion hate? Why bust on RIFT at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY?

Why do you and the other haters CARE how the game is doing?

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 6:17PM eyeball2452 said

Lol at the subscription numbers arguments.

I don't play Rift anymore, but it's a very polished, solid and generic MMO. It's valid to have a discussion about the game itself, but bashing a game for subscriber numbers doesn't make a lot of sense.

The other extreme of that type of flawed argument is when someone like State Farm says it has the best insurance because it insures the most automobiles. Neither argument is supported by the facts in evidence or the lazy logic.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 7:17PM dinhosaur said

@eyeball2452

It's not about the numbers themselves, it's about how they got there, and about Trion trying to misrepresent what statistics mean. Often small fish try to make big noise with false advertising.

They definitely don't have 1million active subscribers, he didn't make that claim, but he wanted to make a claim that many could misinterpret as that.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 4:43AM Utakata said

@dinhosaur

And what evidence do you have to support these claims?