Posted: Aug 15th 2011 3:40PM Kerbion said

I enjoy dropping into this game from time to time.

I have been leveling a Warrior/Priest because I like the way the combo works, and it's a ton of fun to play.

I just get distracted like the emailer, I started playing RIFT, I even tried Forsaken World (SHUDDER!!!!!), for some reason F2P MMO's just can't hold my attention... not even the AAA titles that have gone F2P, I guess it's the fact that I feel that I have to dip into the item shop... dunno

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 4:39PM (Unverified) said

"Some players will ask "how much does it cost to compete?""

For a western audience this is a huge concern, and I'm disappointed at how dismissive of an answer you gave. Rift/WoW caps out at 15 bucks a month. In order to be competitive in it, you need 15 bucks a month and the time associated with doing things like: learning the game mechanics, being social with other players and coordinating with them, and some luck. The shoulder of what it means to be competitive is leaning on everything except the sub fee, which is merely an entrance fee giving you the capacity to participate. In RoM, the capacity to participate is free. In RoM, the shoulder of what it takes to be competitive rests largely using pay items (from the cash store, AH or farmed) to re-stat your gear. You don't have to take just my word for it, browse through other massively articles and talk with a few rom players. Class choices come in second, then actual skill on how you play a class-trio (its really just a combo lol) comes in third.

Most people aren't going to hop in and blow hundreds of dollars- but the hidden gradient of "I payed for cash shop items" exists. if you're in tier 0 then you're less capable than someone in tier 2, 3 ,4 etc. Worse than that, players that have spent lots of cash really stand out in PvP. How is anyone supposed to know how to improve (or what needs improvement), when the cash shop can turn an unskilled player into a 3 shot machine.

Wallet PvP already exists, it's called real life!

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 5:32PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I believe the first line of your response should read "to a typically, WoW-programmed western audience".

I'm with the author, and just don't buy into the PVE dickswinging contests that WoW has fostered.

Now, I think most of your disagreement lines up with a digestable common sense much more when you involve PVP. Buying PVP wins through is just wrong.

Just my opinion of your opinion. Neither is wrong, just thought I'd throw that in there. :)

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 5:53PM Dril said

@(Unverified)

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about and how it relates to WoW.

It's not a matter of dick-swinging. It's a matter of being able to outright buy the ability to perform better than others in your group, or better than those you're playing against.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 6:50PM jeremys said

@(Unverified) I think we are both right in what we are focusing on. I just think we are focusing on two different things.

In a sense, your brief comment of "in order to be able to compete..." glosses over the subject and then continues to give details on what players need in order to be competitive.

What I'm saying is that the line "How much does it cost to compete", you line "In order to be able to compete..." or any such wording that basically says the same thing is a fallacy, and I spent 2 paragraphs explaining why it is a fallacy.

You except it and then spend all your time explaining the what's and why's that fit into your acceptance of the idea. I don't except it and explain the what's and why's of the idea.

But it's up to you and other readers to agree or disagree and explain why(if you want) - which you do quite well. That's the kind of feedback I find informative and interesting.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 6:16PM (Unverified) said

I don't like investing my time into a game where money trumps the amount of time it's required to gain skill to do well within the game, and I'm not alone :-D. That's not a WoW thing or a PvE dickswinging thing. If anything, the PvE dickswinging thing IS THE PAY-TO-WIN cash shop- It's like buying a huge monster truck or Ferrari to compensate for your lack of "skill".

My opinion of your opinion is that you've got some kind of biased grudge against WoW and because of that, you're not seeing the forest from the trees in this discussion. Neither is wrong, just thought I'd throw that in there. :)

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 6:46PM DoctorSmart said

@(Unverified) What I'm hearing you say is: "I have no life and lots of free time, so I don't mind wasting hours to grind for gear that'll be nullified within a month or two" I have a life, and small periods of time I like to fill with gaming. If I want to spend money to avoid spending hours upon hours grinding, then that's my choice.

TLDR: It's about choice. Your commodity is time, mine is money. Now remember folks, time is money.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 4:49AM (Unverified) said

@DoctorSmart you've misrepresented what I've said, but then you knew that when you wrote it so...

...there's something fundamentally wrong with any game design that allows players to purchase "wins" over other players. Instead of being so quick to donate pump money into a model in order to bypass content you think is essentially boring, maybe everyone would be better off with a better design? LoL is an example of a model that works like that as you essentially can only purchase cosmetic changes- you can buy other characters but they are essentially as balanced as balanced can get within the context of a game.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 7:35PM nhat said

The end game for this game is a LOT of fun. Unfortunately it is very expensive. Unless you're willing to spend like $30 a month to keep up or spend a lot of time, its going to be expensive.