Posted: Aug 15th 2011 7:56PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
It looks great and all... but the degree of logistical core gameplay changes they're still admitting to here (in light of their "when it's done" mantra) are making it a lot harder to fight back the "VAPORWARE" crowd.

I was hoping for a late 2011 beta and a early 2012 release... but even that's seeming unrealistically optimistic now.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:02PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Almost every game shuffles things like this in alpha, and often far into beta. The changes aren't that drastic, either; they're just tweaking what they already have.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:08PM (Unverified) said

@Irem I truly hope you are right, and I shall borrow some of your positivity to replace the bit I lost when I read the article hehe.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:08PM (Unverified) said

@Irem Incidentally, was it ever hard-line confirmed that they are indeed *IN* alpha yet?

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:14PM Eamil said

@(Unverified)

Alpha isn't generally as clearly defined as beta, in terms of companies officially announcing "We're in alpha now!" Really the term refers to testing stages - "pre-alpha" means there's no testing going on at all. So while they may not be completely finished with the game in terms of designing and implementing content, as long as they have testing going on, even internally, the game can be considered in alpha.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:57PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
According to the FAQ, alpha testing is already in progress.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 11:10AM Kaahn Stewart said

@(Unverified)

I can understand some skepticism, but how does this even remotely look like Vaporware? ArenaNet and Guild Wars 2 have been a huge presence at a number of conventions for some time, and they continue to have more and more content for people to play and test at every new convention. If they had maybe a build or two and suddenly didn't have a playable demo at another convention, sure you might be able to handwave it as "Vaporware". But with the sheer amount of progress that they're displaying every time they put a demo out, those claiming "Vaporware" sound like they're just hoping the game tanks.

The funny thing about it is, if they want this genre to get any amount of innovation in the near future (not only from developers willing to look at the genre's present shortcomings, but also publishers willing to take a risk), they'll want this game to succeed with flying colors.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:04PM Eamil said

I'm still reading it but honestly, instead of mentioning that they got rid of energy potions, I'd have thought the part about how "Skills no longer cost energy" would have been more eye-poppingly worthy of mention in this post. ;)

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:11PM Eamil said

@Eamil

Well, I just finished reading it. Honestly I'm kind of torn on the skill acquisition changes. I REALLY like the idea of learning weapon skills by using weapons, but I've never been a huge fan of skill hunting in Guild Wars so while a skill collection mechanic might be interesting, I really hope they're not making it identical to Guild Wars' elite skills where you have to capture skills off specific bosses.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:26PM DevilSei said

@Eamil

Same here. Using weapons to learn their specific skills isn't TOO big a deal to me. I'll probably only really focus on one, maybe two, weapons for my main so it won't be that bad.
But the non-weapon skills? I just don't know... if its something simple I don't mind, but I'm not looking forward to having to hunt down some specific enemy mob JUST for a skill... meh...

We'll have to wait and see if they get into more detail on this specifically for Gamescon, I really hope they do.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:35PM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei As long as skill acquisition is soloable, I can handle it. Me gaining my base tools is my problem, and shouldn't be my neighbor's problem. Conversely, PVE competitiveness (as much as I hate it, it's real) making it "not in our best interests to help you get your skill that will make you better than me" necessitates soloable skill acquisition.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 9:07PM Utakata said

@(Unverified)

...and as long as the weapons skill up system isn't asinine as was the WoW skill up mechanics before Cat. I really don't to have to kill a bazillion mobs for that one point to get to skill cap, so I can get full benefits of weapon proc'ings and crits.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:12PM (Unverified) said

Dodging costs energy, interesting. I hope dodge isn't so fun that you feel restricted by energy costs.

And character customization for body types? Oh thank you ArenaNet, thank you!

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:21PM DevilSei said

@(Unverified)

To be fair, I remember that dodging ALWAYS costed something, that way you couldn't spam it freely. This is just making energy and dodging a one-to-one thing, so you don't have to worry about either throwing up a high-power ability only to get instant-killed by some ability.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 9:45PM Dumac said

@(Unverified)
Speaking of body customization, how do you feel about stances? The way a character stands and walks and such. All professions were distinctive in this regard in GW1, i'd hate to lose that and see every human stand exactly the same in GW2.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 12:16AM Faction 3 said

@Dumac

This I will agree with. You were actually able to tell Classes apart based on how they stand. I rellay liked that, it actually made you feel more like a Class, than a member of the same Race, with different abilities.

Posted: Aug 16th 2011 8:02AM (Unverified) said

@Dumac

I never knew that as I've only played one profession in Guild Wars thus far. It's not a big deal to me, I've never given body stance much thought. However, considering that I'm a proponent for more options regarding customization it'd be nice if ArenaNet allowed you to customize body stance, if not have it unique for each profession.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:22PM Unshra said

I will say that I like the male Sylvari option shown in the blog, I really didn't like what they showed in earlier blogs for the males so this gives hope that I will be able to find a combination I personally find appealing.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:31PM Eamil said

@Unshra

I also like how he's wearing normal clothes instead of plant-clothes. I figured it would be possible but it's nice to know for sure.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:42PM Ehra said

@Eamil

Yep. The last Sylvari Week update we got was a big "What it is to be a Sylvari" manifesto, and one of the things we learned is that Sylvari grow their clothes out of their own body (the leaf clothes/armor we've seen before), but they can also just wear "regular" clothes if they want to.

StarCraft II: An MMO player's perspective