Posted: Aug 14th 2011 1:12PM (Unverified) said

Neat idea, but they need to be very careful not to fall into one of the traps RIFT is sliding into (especially now that add-ons will magnify "performance disparity". ugh) of making it too easy to "build wrong". If someone has a build concept that they want to play and enjoy, and the game allows the freedom to try it, but that concept is "so wrong is isn't viable" (and that word gets so abused in MMO circles) that player will be lost to them. I should know, that's why I left RIFT.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 1:14PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Essentially, all the freedom in the world means zilch when the reality of the game, and even worse, the community bias, enforces a cookie cutter standard.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:08PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Well that's somewhat heartening to know that they've kept the disparity to a minimum, within the realm of "debatable". :)

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:08PM BigAndShiny said

@(Unverified)
This is what im worried about in TSW. There will be 5 builds, and thats it. And hundreds of skills may just never be used.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:14PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) "Build freedom" works best when the game is built to acknowledge that "good enough is good enough". When min/maxing provides a "debatable boost" and not the difference between life and death, and you limit your play circle to people that won't care if you have that boost or not, freedom of building can work to the good of everyone's fun. WoW had to dumb its build paths down because "it matters too much", and it's too easy to "waste my valuable time" in WoW by building conceptually. There is a benefit to playing games that don't "matter" as much as WoW does, and that benefit is a freedom to actually take one's time and have fun. Build freedom can work in these scenarios... I just hate seeing the WoWisms creeping in.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:22PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Depends on what is considered min/maxing. If the crafting is done right and the economy really is sand box then there will be crafters that the 'adventurers' will have to call on in order to obtain the best gear/house/hall/keep etc.

From my experience the majority of min/maxers are the folks out to slay dragons (or for pvp, players) in the most efficient way possible and care little for anything else. A true sandbox will let 'billy the merchant' who has gone after crafting rather than slaying have more overall power via politics and server reputation.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:27PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) ...

*puts on 21st century consumer hat*

Then I hope I never play a "true sandbox", because I'm not paying said merchant my subscription/game fees for a balanced experience, I'm paying the dev's for that, and a variable like "was I nice to this one player that happens to like crafting" shouldn't gate my progress.

*takes off 21st century consumer hat*

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than capable of dealing with crafters, but I don't think that kind of model would fly today. People are too aware that they paid for something, and that they paid the dev, not the other players.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:30PM Alex Oglitchkin said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) So you left because you made a failure of a build? There is always going to be cookie cutter builds that will give you the most bang for your skill distribution.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 3:44PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Part of the problem is that the people creating content for MMOs cater to the people who are min/maxing. When new content comes out, it's difficult for the min-maxers because that's who it's being catered to. It seems like this would make sense, since if the content is too easy people will probably finish it and get bored quickly, but I'm not sure that's always the case.

Consider that the min-maxers are considered hardcore in MMOs. Who is considered hardcore in single player RPGs? The person who gets through a game without having a full party. Then after that's been done enough, someone manages to pull it off using one of the more difficult classes and they're considered even more hardcore. Maybe something can be done to create content or provide rewards for people who approach challenges this way. Even something as minor as giving someone a "hardcore" title for completing a challenge with a crappy build would probably help. Or, if you really want to get serious, create an atmosphere that recognizes that the people who complete challenges using optimal builds really aren't accomplishing all that much compared to the rest.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 1:14PM Rhazes said

This game is looking good. The combat looks interesting and fun. The housing is open world and great looking, you can build boats. The graphics are looking good.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:01PM BigAndShiny said

@Rhazes

That's what they said about Vanguard.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 11:16PM Valdur said

@BigAndShiny

And this game can be all that Vanguard could have been if Sigil Games didn't fail due to mismanagement...

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 1:43PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
there's no way this game will be balanced in PVP. i foresee a lot of problems.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:06PM agitatedandroid said

@(Unverified)

Who cares if a game has pvp balance? Balance in mmo pvp is one of the dumbest things.

I'm a wizard who can call down demons and hellfire to melt my enemies. You're a plucky young warrior with a broadsword. Of course its fscking imbalanced!

Or... I'm a drooling idiot who keyboard turns and you memorized sun tzu, have the latest and greatest gaming mouse and macro keyboard. Again, it's going to be imbalanced.

You want balance in your pvp, play with your xbox.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:13PM Faction 3 said

@agitatedandroid

If you ran for political office, I would vote for you.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 4:16PM Kalec said

@Faction 3

Best
EVER

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 5:10PM alucard3000 said

@(Unverified) And it already starts,say goodbye to being able to have cool skills to use in pve because I see the nerf bats coming from the result of the whine over the this isnt balanced for pvp spiel.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 11:20PM Valdur said

@(Unverified)

PvP games should focus on group combat not 1v1,so fuck balance.

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:00AM Fabius Bile said

@agitatedandroid
ok, I'll play with my xbox. have fun in your gsame with 7 million wizards, 3 rogues and 1 warrior that havent logged in 5 months...

should be fun watching you asking for a dungeon run and getting 6 thousand wizard tells, no tank no melee dps and no healer....

suddenly the xbox sounds more fun, doesnt it?

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:31PM Bhagpuss said