Posted: Aug 13th 2011 8:58PM Irem said

FFXI had a lot of similar odd design decisions, some of them good, some of them bad. Many of them ended up being good things for the game, and many of them were simply frustrating.

The problem with these oddities in both XI and XIV is that they're not a product of a unique vision so much as they are the product of the team who made them not completely thinking through whatever the hell they were doing. Stuff like the UI may make sense once you learn it, but it feels to me like trying to make the solution fit the preconceived design, rather than designing a solution. A lot of this stuff isn't this way on purpose--it just -is-, and while I found that kind of thrilling in XI--because in many ways it made it feel even more like a real world, with its own quirks and laws of nature--like you said, it's not going to be for everyone (and, unfortunately, I remain unconvinced that the drop-you-into-the-world-and-let-you-find-stuff-to-do sandbox elements of XIV were entirely intentional).

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 9:06PM hexaemeron said

Considering the reception the game received, being different for the sake of being different isn't really such a good idea if the game is supposed to survive, much less make enough money to break even, much less be a critical and financial success.

I do not like the game as it is, and I suspect I never will. I don't need hand-held, but I need to actually do something. Crafting like a drone or mindlessly-grinding mobs... isn't fun. And it's not even challenging.

And the UI is nothing less than an embarrassment. The fact that your action bar can't remember your items on job switch is pathetic and absolutely inexcusable.

Transportation, usable UI, things to do that actually matter, targeting that isn't busted.... and this is after a year of supposed constant work.

Sorry, E. I know you like FFXIV, but I can't help but see it without a doubt as the worst MMO released by a major company... ever. And considering how many people bought the game and no longer play... I'm not in the minority.

It's just not good. :/

Posted: Aug 15th 2011 8:38AM shale00 said

@hexaemeron

Spoken with truth.

This game is only alive because Square-Enix is the company backing it, this game is far worse than Tabula Rasa and we all know how many months that game lasted.

This game is really bad, but i'm actually glad a game like this came out. This game is absolute proof that you can make a game with the most beautiful and gorgeous in any MMO out there but if it isn't polished, and has really lazy design(terrain copy/pasted, really?) then it WILL fail.

I hope they fix this game because the few people that I know that play this STILL wouldn't pay monthly for it and just fyi for everyone....they will have to start charging money, they do have to eventually try and make money from this.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 9:13PM Graill440 said

"FFXIV strides around looking like an inheritory to the great theropods of the Jurassic, filling the same evolutionary niche while being a totally different animal. "

....Ehh, what? (silly grin)

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 9:13PM Tweakalvos said

I for one bought the collectors edition a few months back. Now going into it I was A. bored of eve which I go in spurts with at times. And I wanted to play this thing at launch even after the people dogging how horrible it was. At the end of the day I like it. Since In a way since April I'm only lvl 17 and slowly working my way towards 20 I"m ok with that. I think in many aspects the leve system needs more credit then it gets.

Most people dog it since there used to springing towards maximum levels they do not take the time to experience the game. Could the leve system be a bit more streamlined yes. I mean after all this time I still do not know how to armor craft and things of that nature.

Wasnt till a few weeks ago of asking in Uldu ah that I got some help on where to get new armor. Namely because I had the same lvl 1 armor from the start trying to kill lvl 10s. IE I was naked. But since then it has been very smooth sailing. Its under appreciated. And should be taken as a casual MMO if there is such a thing.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 9:22PM (Unverified) said

Thanks Eliot. I know I come up as Unverified or whatever but Im the one who left a comment a few weeks ago asking you too give feedback after the big update on if it had more goals,structure too it. Doesnt sound like much has changed in that regard so probably isn't EVER gonna be the game for me. I dont mind figuring out how stuff works but I do like a goal that makes my character in the game feel like he's important/working towards something important. Guess I'll just wait till my cup of tea TOR launches!

Really do appreciate the honesty!!

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 9:55PM Resurge said

how come every video i can find is some German guy killing chickens in a field? I want to know more about this game, but damn is it hard to get any REAL info.
I played ff11 (we can use real numbers, enough with the V's and I's) , and i enjoyed it until i realized i was never going to get first hit, and therefore loot rights on a named world mob -because i didn't live close enough to the servers. Also, the forced grping was fine at first, but it got old spamming "LFG &!^!*$#*#^!&*#!$*#*!& ^w" (that ^w is IMPORTANT!) in the main city at mid level, and never getting a decent grp unless it was a desperate japanese grp who really really needed another member (japanese grps kicked ass!, even if i couldn't understand anything they said). The poor console-ported UI wasn't all that awesome either. And do we HAVE to come up with a new name for EVERYTHING?! A guild is a guild is a guild, ...unless it's a FF game, then it has some weird ass name no one understands.

Do you have any links for some decent videos that show what this game actually plays like now? I'd give it a shot if i had any idea what game play was like.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 10:09PM (Unverified) said

@Resurge

Here's a few users I'm subscribed to on Youtube that have good FFXIV videos:

WotgAshiee's videos tend to be straightforward and it's her doing normal stuff. Good videos to get a quick-gauge on things from exciting to mundane: http://www.youtube.com/user/WotgAshiee#g/c/B94C3DE039B18BE3

EndlessNerd's videos are, from what I've seen, group affairs so it's fun to see that in action and hear the chit chat: http://www.youtube.com/user/EndlessNerd#g/c/7027E3C84479B3DB

Sambons does regular FFXIV videos and they're more instructional and light-hearted: http://www.youtube.com/user/sambonz#g/u

Keep in mind the playlists for each user may not have the latest episodes so some may be under general uploads instead.

I hope that helps. (Ugh, I'm a Youtube junkie haha)

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 10:31PM cyranal said

@Resurge

That is the channel for a linkshell that is pretty active on their server.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 12:13PM Resurge said

@cyranal & (unverified) - thanks for the links, those were much better than any i found. Unfortunately, i don't think this game is for me ..it IS really really pretty, but the gameplay looks so SLOW. ..shoot an arrow, wait 3 full seconds, shoot another arrow..etc. I like the grp mechanics i see, but i dunno. Maybe if i had a grp of friends with me, but I don't think i'll try this one solo. I do like reading about it, tho. :) kinda like EvE i guess.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 10:21PM (Unverified) said

I've played FF14 for a few days now to bridge the time until swtor is released.

While is has a certain charm and some of the basic ideas with the class system as an example are nice and refreshing the game overall is barely playable. I can't comprehend how they ever sold this as a finished product. Even as a beta this would be embarrassing.

Another year of even more vigorous development and maybe it'll be at a point where a sustainable number of players will pay a monthly fee to play it.

Good luck to them, the competition is only getting more serious over the next few months with some real AAA titles hitting the market.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 10:28PM cyranal said

FFXI wasn't for everyone either. I tried hard to get some of my friends to play it but it was just too different from the other games they played that they just couldn't get into it. I still don't know if the game is for me. I think I've been conditioned from FFXI to simply log in on the weekends and do something in the game. So for all of my complaining about crafting, I still do my 8 leves and I still craft because I like to make things. I think I actually do enjoy the game. I wouldn't be opening another account as a storage mule/alt character if I didn't. (I'm sure when I read that last sentence again in 24 hours, I'm going to question my own sanity.)

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 12:07AM Bramen said

• Half a heart
No MMORPG is for everyone. No MMORPG is for no one.
But FFXIV is not an MMORPG. It's an MMOPITA. (Pain in the A.)
And I would recommend doing it like I would recommend all other PITAs:
1) Do it because you are getting paid.
2) Do it because you might get laid.
3) Do it because she told you too, and she holds your "Man-Card."
4) Do it because not doing it will certainly bring a worse PITA down upon you.

... And thats about it. So if you fall into one of the above categories by all means run the program called FFXIV. If you don't get a root canal; it is more expensive, but the extra fun is worth the cost.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 12:40AM Paradigm68 said

I got the game right after launch. Just because it looked so beautiful AND because I fell for the misconception that being so late in the game and their second MMO, it's got to be good, right? There is so much to learn from.

And its frustrating because reading the article the game comes across as the sandbox players dream. I want to love it, I want to be excited to play it.

Suffice to say when I found myself standing around a rock in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of other people all doing repeatable quests for an end I wasn't sure of, I knew it wasn't the game for me.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 12:53AM chum said

I enjoy the game myself but have to admit that I only play it for 7-10 days out of any given month. The same lack of arbitrary goals that encourage us to do whatever we feel like in any given session also make it hard (for me) to set goals to work towards. On one hand it's good since I only log in when I just want to play and don't feel like I'm missing anything when I'm not. On the other hand I should feel like the world is advancing when I'm not there. I'm really looking forward to advanced jobs since there will probably be some hoops to jump through and goals to set. Overall happy and can't wait for chocobos and to see where the Imperial storyline goes.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 1:24AM LA1111 said

I enjoy playing FF XIV about once or twice a week for a few hours. I think it's a nice change of pace from other games. It really is getting better. It's a shame that the launch was so underwhelming, but hey, it's not like we have to pay to play right now. I still think this game has a bright future. How long that takes, well that's anybody's guess. The dev team isn't exactly fast.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 1:53AM madcartoonist said

I have thought about picking it up just to experience it. Usually I can get at least a months enjoyment out of any MMORPG. Unfortunately i didn't rate very well when I ran the Final Fantasy bench mark. I don't think my computer is even that bad but I have been to afraid to actually buy the game and then have to have the settings set so low as to make it annoying. Does anyone know if the benchmark wasn't a fair assessment? or maybe that have changed things so that it runs better on slower computers?

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 9:10AM Lenn said

@madcartoonist When I run Can I Run It, despite it being a flawed application, it laughs at me when I ask about FFXIV, and rightly so. Anything else on the market I can run just fine. The graphics are insanely badly optimized (I heard it's a known problem for NVidia users). The difference between medium/high settings and low/medium settings is the difference between "still looks pretty enough to be enjoyable" and "it looks like I'm playing it while drunk and someone smeared vaseline on my screen'".

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 12:05PM Wensbane said

@Lenn

I remember checking the FF XIV benchmark, like a year or so ago, and it gave me absolutely terrible results. I really didn't think I could run the game properly.

The truth however, is that I almost never fall below 60 FPS, even in Ul'dah.
That's with Texture Quality and Texture Filtering maxed out, but with character Shadows off, because they're glitched in my (AMD) system.

WARNING: This game has absolutely terrible screen tearing and no v-sync option!
Trying to force it via CCC/Nvidia Control Panel does not work!

The only way to actually get rid of it is to download something like D3DOverrider (I highly recommend this one) or RivaTuner and make a profile there.
The game looks absolutely flawless in motion with v-sync turned on, and Triple Buffering definitely gave me a performance boost.

As always, with FF XIV, you have to solve ridiculous these issues by yourself...

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 12:08PM Wensbane said

@Wensbane

My apologies, I meant RadeonPro, not RivaTuner.

RivaTuner is the program in which the D3DOverrider tool is bundled (although, it's also available as a standalone utility).

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM