Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:17AM chuckasucka said

I made a great number of friends playing WoW. I met 4 IRL, 2 of which I am good friends with to this day. I went to their wedding, they came to see me, I went to see them a couple of times. We get along really well. It's a good time :)

The other two were good friends in game. We played together constantly and had a good time, but we just didn't have any chemistry as friends outside of the game. They also live far away and are at different places in their lives.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:19AM awitelintsta said

Yep. I've met up with my online friends offline for the last three years running. We've gone to conventions together and theme parks and historical monuments because we're ginormous nerds like that. We always have a great time. We'd probably do the meet-ups more, except that we all live a couple thousand miles away, so there's always plane + hotel costs involved, so it's not something we can do on a whim.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:20AM Greymantle said

I met my wife in EQ many years ago. We are currently playing Wow. If not for the NGE we would still be playing SWG. It was a sad day for both of us when Sony dropped that bomb.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:21AM (Unverified) said

Yes I have!
I met an awesome girl on GuildWars, we met up, and now she's my girlfriend!
The rest of the people I play MMO's with are friends I know from school etc, so meeting up with them doesn't really count.
I haven't met up with anyone else I know from MMO's, but I am looking to meet up with a good friend from Aion, although we both don't play anymore.
Thing is, most of my MMO friends live quite far away, and as a Dutchie without a driver's license...well, it's harder ;P

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:27AM alzeer said

yup
we have a mostly family linkshell in FFXI but one member was living in neighboring country, we knew him for more than 5 years .
one of our members decided to visit him, then few months later he decided to visit us , we had big party to welcome him and since then then he visit in every major occasion like weddings...ect

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:28AM skylatron said

The idea that a hot female has to be introduced to online gaming by her boyfriend, that females playing MMOs on their own are ugly, or that the "hot" ones are hit on more often than not online, are just all incorrect at this stage of the game.

I'm what most guys consider to be an attractive female. I started playing MMOs when I was 11 and have a boyfriend who *I* introduced to online gaming. I'm not "hit on" by guys in game because I don't flaunt my sexuality (who gives a crap, really?) and because I play with an awesome community who also doesn't give a crap.

Tangent aside, yes I have met people that I game with and consider lots of them to be real, life-long friends. Just because you meet them virtually doesn't make your friendship any less valid.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:30AM Dril said

No, but I'd like to at some point in the future.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:35AM Seldra said

My former WoW guild would meet up in Blizzcon and PAX, even though a lot of them were family members those that weren't felt comfortable hanging with them especially in a fun setting like a convention.

Even with WoW behind me I still meet up with GW guild members in PAX and even some WoW players I met a while back.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 11:10AM Dumac said

The ones that live nearby, yes. I mean i'd love to travel around Europe and the US but i can't afford it.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Honestly, I play with mostly real life friends anyway. Makes meeting them a standard "Friday night drinking" affair.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 11:27AM Krayzjoel said

I could see why some people might find this intruiging, but I would not do so for various reasons good and bad. I generaly keep people "at arms lenth" for various reasons even on vent/teamspeak.

Even if I did want to meet a guildie(s) I have a job, church, visit family, College, and other activities that are my priorities 1st.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 11:47AM Yukon Sam said

I met my wife for the first time in Ultima Online. Real life meeting was a challenge since we lived on opposite coasts, but in retrospect, it was worth the effort :)

I've been meeting other players offline since before the internet, back when I was running RPG campaigns via BBS systems. It can be awkward, but it's a lot less awkward than meeting strangers, since you have at least one point of common interest.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:25PM ElfLove said

*sigh*

It seems like so many people, meet the love of there lives, in MMOs.

When will it be my turn?

:-(

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:40PM Kyzgar said

@ElfLove
It could be awhile, but you've got time, being an Elf and all.

Seriously though, like any relationship it takes a lot of hard work. Playing the same MMO is just a single item on the compatibility scale. Your non-game personalities also have to mesh well.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:59PM ElfLove said

@Kyzgar

Your very right. I just wish that special chemistry was there for me. Every time we get an article like this I always get so jealous of the scores of people, who've found there one true love in an MMO.

hell most of the EQ2 guilds I've been in have been super happily married couples that have met in the game.

I just wish I knew the secret so it will happen to me. :-(

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:26PM winterborn said

I dont look or act like your average MMO geek so girls have always gone after me, therfore I dont have a interest in MMO females other than for friends. I picked the best one of em about 9 years ago and I am still happy with that choice but we have met a few of the girls we gamed with so far.

My best friend is a Marine I meet playing P&P D&D so gaming and friends are a good thing.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 1:23PM Lenn said

@winterborn How does "your average MMO geek" look and act? Are there defining characteristics? Has David Attenborough made a documentary about them yet?

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 8:44PM winterborn said

@Lenn
I think we all know what the average or usual gamming geek looks like.

Same thing can be said for SCA and faire folk, good people just not the type you see on the cover for mainstream media. I have had my share of smashing rattan against platemail and partaking in the evening festivities : )

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 2:01PM GrumpyGnome said

I lived with 3 guys who played EQ back in 99-03, and through them met up with a ton of their guild mates. Many were old school friends, family or co-workers. Now we liva all over the county, but still stay in touch.

I worked from 00' to 09' with a few of them as well. Get 15 friends together at a bar in Vegas, drunk, and reenacting your last raid...we got some classic looks. Believe me, no one is a popular as a drunk geek in a room full of dancers...ah memories.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 2:17PM Celtar said

Yep, used to go to gathers and parties in the early 90s for players/guilds in Never Winter Nights on AOL, also parties and cons for Simutronic's Gemstone and Dragonrealms. Or drinking parties and paintball with Kesmai people in VA. Whether it was east coast, mid west, or west coast, such things are/were quite common and a lot fun.

I felt comfortable doing these mostly due to the past when I'd go to gaming shops in the 70's and early 80's which lead to going to SCA stuff and other general social/party gatherings as well as costume parties etc. Haven't done so in some years but they always were as I said a lot of fun.

Like any other hobby, getting together with those with a similar interest is a fun thing, I recommend it to anyone.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM