Posted: Aug 12th 2011 4:37PM j1083 said

Woot! I find myself a little confused about how Caderyn is the founder of the Nightmare Court, but Faolain is its leader. I'd also love to hear more about Malomedies' first encounter with the asura and what the Wyld Hunt is all about.

All in all, this is definitely my favorite update of Sylvari Week, after all. The redesign was awesome, of course, but I feel like this is the first time we've actually learned anything new.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 4:49PM correllis said

@j1083

think its like Marx founded communism and china/russia/etc became the "leader".

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 5:11PM Irem said

@j1083
I think we'll probably learn Faolain's story (including how she came to lead the Nightmare Court) in game.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 5:41PM Eamil said

@Irem

A little bit of it is told in Edge of Destiny - she and Caithe are sisters, or as close to sisters as Sylvari can get.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 6:21PM Irem said

@Eamil
According to a recent post by Ree, they're actually lovers (or were, before their falling out, although they still love each other). A lot of people are wondering how Faolain came to lead the Court, though, despite Caderyn being the founder, and I suspect it's something that either sylvari players will learn through the personal story, or that will be the focus of a dungeon story mode.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 8:21PM Eamil said

@Irem

I wouldn't have guessed that based on their interactions in the novel, but then again they were fairly limited.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 8:25PM Ehra said

@Eamil

I don't have the book next to me at the moment, but I remember their relationship being very heavily implied. At least enough that I was wondering at the time if I was reading it right.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 9:03PM Irem said

@Eamil, Ehra
I remember there being some heated debate about it at the time the book came out. Here's the post in question: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/sylvari-soul-angel-mccoy-writing-t20014.html?p=839307#post839307

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 7:36PM (Unverified) said

Not since WoW have I been this interested in an MMO's lore and that gives me hope for GW2.

It's too bad ArenaNet is painting the Nightmare Court as nothing but evil. The way they built things up with Caderyn's story made me think that they were going more for a misguided type of story. I'm probably hesitant due to not knowing enough of the backstory but going from disagreeing about how to go about fighting the enemy to terrorizing their own people seems like a big jump.

It probably means that the Nightmare Court members are enemies to every other player race then.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 7:54PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
They are enemies to every other player race. Each race has a "dark" counterpart, and the Nightmare Court is the sylvari equivalent of the norn Sons of Jormag and the charr Flame Legion.

Caderyn -is- misguided, and his founding of the Nightmare Court is like a kid rebelling to try to get Mom's attention, only on a massive, horrifying scale. That's what makes the Nightmare Court scary, in my opinion--they're ostensibly adults and they're waging an atrocious war against their own people, but there's something so childish and spiteful about their reasons for doing it that they really evoke the faerie lore a lot of their flavor is inspired by. In some of the old, darker faerie stories, a traveler might come across a funny, childlike, beautiful, or harmless-seeming creature, but breaking some silly, arbitrary-sounding rules in its presence might prompt a temper tantrum that could end with the offending mortal being ripped to shreds, eaten, drowned, or any number of other horrific fates.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 8:18PM Ehra said

@(Unverified)

To us it's a big jump, but I don't think it is to them. It seems to me that they're big on the "ends justify the means" approach. They're willing to do whatever it takes to ensure what they feel is the race's true calling is met. If that requires them to terrorize, or maybe even kill, some of their own kin to "save" future generations then so be it.

I'd say they are evil but they aren't committing evil acts for its own sake, and I think you can still say they're misguided. What they're ultimately trying to accomplish, ensuring their race's place in Tyria, protecting their people from those that would do them harm, and working towards defeating the dragons, are good things, but the methods they've chosen are horrid.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 9:07PM Irem said

@Ehra
Yeah, and they have such limited life experience, I think, that what might seem totally insane to us made perfect sense to Cadeyrn in the context of what he believed: "I disagree with the teachings in the tablet, so from now on me and my followers will do the exact opposite." Just as it doesn't seem to have occurred to the Firstborn at the time to question or explore Ventari's teachings, when Cadeyrn questioned and eventually rejected them, it was in a very simplistic way--toss the whole thing out, go all the way in the other direction.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 9:37PM DevilSei said

@Irem

Aye, reading through the little bits and pieces they offered, you can't really hate Cadeyrn. From his limited viewpoint, the tablet they are forced to learn from is limiting them, and has both the Sylvari and their mother heavily chained down.
In his eyes, he's trying to free them from the rigidity of the old ways and allow his people to learn for themselves, without the outside influences of some long-dead being.

The best kind of villains are the ones you can empathize with and understand their motives, and the Nightmare Court is definitely turning into quite the interesting set of enemies. I'll definitely have to roll a Sylvari as a second character.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 9:51PM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei

"The best kind of villains are the ones you can empathize with and understand their motives"

I agree, and that's why I wanted to see them be more gray. Make it feel bitter that we have to kill them.

@All: Thanks for the replies!

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 2:38AM Soviet Shaman said

The more I read the more I want this game to come out!

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 3:17PM Hurbster said

Nightmare (Unseelie) Court ? Wyld (Wild) Hunt ?

Ooookay....