Posted: Aug 12th 2011 8:31PM (Unverified) said

They added some decent incentive to run these again- I'd like to add that the loot dropped in the series is also now BoE instead of BoP (something the community has been very vocal for in the forums). I still think the loot is itemized less well than scaled SL elite gear, which is a bummer.

I'd like the rest of this post to reflect the rage I have that the next comic series won't start til November (at the very least).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRHHHHHHHHHHGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-SWTOR-beta, GW2-beta-HHHHHHHHHGGGHHHGGGRRGHGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 9:42PM Dunraven said

I simply loved this series....I didn't think it was possible but CO took me away from my beloved DCUO, and I don't think I'm returning.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 11:26PM augustgrace said

I think anyone who tried CO or STO at launch needs to give the games another look. Both have come a long way since launch.

I love the series for both CO and STO, but this one is pretty special. Going to make some time in my schedule to run through this again. Also still need to spruce up and explore my superhero lair.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 12:41AM (Unverified) said

@augustgrace

I played pretty hard for a couple of months after launch, then kinda slacked off a bit. I bought the lifetime sub before launch, and I'm actually glad I did now. Over the past couple of years I'd poke around here and there in game, but about a week ago I decided to go back to playing more by starting a brand new character.

I'm having a total blast! Sure, I have to relearn a few things, but there's a surprising amount of new content scattered around. I'm also pleasantly surprised at the community in game, the chat is very friendly and helpful.

I definitely recommend people try this game out.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 12:47AM Protoavis said

• 1 heart
Just ran through the whole thing....honestly don't get why people are praising it, the voice acting alone borders on offensive.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 4:15AM aurickle said

@Protoavis
Maybe because it introduces some unique environments? A coherent story with multiple twists and turns? Side missions that you can actually fail? Interesting mechanics such as racing the Lords of Edom or being possessed?

It's hardly fair to pan the adventure pack for its voice acting, given the fact that the whole game has mediocre acting at best and absolutely horrid facial animations. People praise the pack for the ways in which it's different from the rest of the game and how it raises the fun bar.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 5:28AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@aurickle
"Maybe because it introduces some unique environments" - Everything in the environment is recycled from the adventure packs...

"It's hardly fair to pan the adventure pack for its voice acting" - Okay, the pacing in the cutscenes is painful, the long pauses in audio are terrible, the "dynamic" panels that they put in are really crappy and half the time they cover the visual action or dialogue going on in a "this feels like a low production" kind of way. They added 0 "comic book feel" to the series. The series is still buggy- AS #4 bugged out to the point of having to restart the mission. You can't chose the issue you want to play now, so we actually lost functionality.

People spend too much time praising Cryptic for #1 trying, and #2 making things slightly less bad. Compare the kind and quality of content you get with CO for 15 bucks to the kind and quality of content you get from any other 15$ MMO.

All of these could be forgivable if they were cranking out a weekly episodic comic. Why? Because by the time we're tired of playing last weeks issue, next weeks issue would have arrived. Constant single serving episodic content is a perfect fit for CO. Instead, they gave us something to grind on for 4 months (they want us to do the whole thing at least 5 times for the action figures). The comic series isn't a good fit for grinding, how many times can you endure the cutscenes?

As a 1-2 play through kind of thing, the series was okay. As the only new PvE content going in the game for 4 months, it's terrible.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 3:21PM blakerefuge said

@(Unverified)

Issue 4 and Issue 6 both have brand new environments that aren't found anywhere else in the game. Issue 4 also has a unique mob not fought anywhere else either. Every single issue also has new mission mechanics unique to each one, again not found anywhere else in the game. Some issues even have light branching paths. Oh, and don't forget, the missions are fun.

I'd say the Comic Series brings plenty to the table.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 5:26PM Protoavis said

@blakerefuge

I disagree on the missions being fun, most of it felt like the same old rehashed, the new aspects seemed very superficially implemented. Honestly didn't feel like anything I hadn't already done before.

Posted: Aug 13th 2011 7:24PM deadborder said

I gotta say that my experience of Aftershock was negative. The boss fights were incredibly frustrating, the cut scenes tedious, the minigames started at frustrating and ended in "I want to punch the moniotr" bad and the Voice Acting went well beyond CO's usal standard of ham-fisted awful into comedicly bad country. Plus there's that rather nonsense premise - Hey, we have a bunch of troops with post-traumatic stress, so let's send them into a combat zone. "Two new unique envrionments" is hardly an incentive either; more of highlighting the game's existing shortcomings.

But the worst part for me was the subject matter. Now don't get me wrong, as a long-time fan of the Champions Universe, I know about the Kings of Edom, the Quilopthic realm and the like and understand what they are. The problem is that CO's writers seem to be obsessed with "eldritch horrors from beyond" to the seeming exclusion of all else. Between two of the three adventure packs, huge chunks of Lemuria and Monster island, several dungeons and so on, the game's allready got lots of Chuthulu-punching action.

It's frustrating becuse CO has a surprisng lack of actual, well, supervillains in it. The Champions Universe has plenty of Supervillains and Villian Groups who have not yet been touched, and would mke for excellent subject material for game content. Eurostar, Professor Muerte, Gravitar, The Ultimates, Mechanon, Power Crusher - all far more interesting then another "punch an Elder God" session, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:41AM Zuljundwumn said

CO delivers content like DLC. As long as they treat this game like a single player RPG, people will be angry. You can't work for 4 month on a series of missions people finish in 2 hours, then tell them to wait 4 more months.

This game has a lot of potential, but it is run by monkeys.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 3:41AM (Unverified) said

@Zuljundwumn pretty much. Without strong, compelling weekly episodic content the game has no future.

That and they need to get CO ready for the Foundry. Thats the only real endgame they could have that would make them unique against GW2 and TOR: Player generated stories that fit into the CO universe and reward players well.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 3:44PM BrouCO said