Posted: Aug 11th 2011 8:09AM (Unverified) said

More likely the lack of offline play will cripple them. For me it's the one thing that's lost them 2 sales. I didn't want the game to play on battlenet, I never intended to create a battlenet account and therefore won't buy the game.

It's a pity, really, as it was the only game that was truly one I was looking forward to. I miss single player RPG's that have quality.

Ah well, at least LotRO still has me.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 8:18AM CaptKillsteal said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) But you still need a constant connection to Lotro to play it, so why complain that D3 requires it as well? Treat is as an MMO. You can't play MMOs offline either

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 8:21AM Clemalum07 said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) You can still play it single player.... You are connected to Bnet to protect against Piracy and cheating.

No one is forcing you to play with other people.

Also having a Bnet account is a great thing if you own a bunch of Blizzard games. I have all my games on there and now no longer need my discs so they wont get damaged.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 8:59AM shale00 said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

Lotro requires and internet connection as well >.>.

Sigh....love random blizz hate.

Best community ever.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 9:11AM Cyclone Jack said

@CaptKillsteal

For someone who travels often and doesn't always have a connection, the always online 'feature' for single player games is getting quite annoying. Let's hope Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn are smart enough to leave this 'feature' out.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 9:34AM (Unverified) said

@Cyclone Jack (and all other repliers to my first post) Sorry, guys - Obviously didn't clarify my thoughts well enough.

Yes, LotRO requires a 'net connection, but I brought it as an MMORPG, knowing it was an MMORPG. I didn't buy it thinking I'd be able to play it offline, or thinking of it as a solo experience.

However, Diablo III is being heralded as a single player RPG. Going back to my earliest memories of playing SPRPG's, Diablos 1&2 are amongst my favourite games in the history of gaming (and I've owned PC's for the better part of 20 years!).

Now I'm not a Bilzzard hater, I think they've really done some great stuff.

I had just hoped for a SPRPG that I could play without requiring an Internet connection, a la Dragon Age (for example). Where I could play it on a machine that doesn't always have a connection.

I had hoped that they would bring the SPIRIT of Diablos 1&2 and not a hybrid model that is in essence forcing it to be more of an MMORPG than a SPRPG.

THAT was my point.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 10:13AM Khalus said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

Times are changing, suck it up and adapt!

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 10:25AM Apakal said

@Khalus

No. Absolutely not. That's crap and I refuse to buy into it. If you were a smart consumer you would do the same.

If I'm paying for a product, I'm intend to own it. Part of that ownership is doing what I want with it when I want to, connected to the internet or not.

Would you buy a car that you can only drive certain hours of the day or on certain roads? I don't think you would.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 10:31AM Floop the Squirrel said

@Khalus

I bet that's what people like you also say when dictators come into power.

"meh, times are changing, suck it up!"

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:23AM gundamxzero said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)
You are being kind of ridiculous. It's obvious you have an internet connection and that has never been an issue in the past. Its just the "idea" that it requires one that makes you not want to buy it? How can you expect anyone to take your complaint seriously. And just because it requires and online connection doesnt mean you have to play with other people. The word for what you are being is Nostalgic. 90% of the people that say "well blizz just lost a sale" are full of s$#t, they have internet and they will still buy the game. The complainers always speak the loudest, even if all they have is just noise and no reason.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:34AM Apakal said

@gundamxzero

Its not ridiculous at all. Its about ownership. I'm not paying for a game that comes with stipulations about how and where I can play it, especially not a single player game.

Ubisoft has backed down on this issue numerous times already because its just poor policy and its reflected in their sales, both pre- and post- DRM changes.

And you really shouldn't make the assumption that people aren't going to do what they say. Not everyone is as spineless as you appear to be.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:37AM SgtBaker1234556 said

• Half a heart
@Cyclone Jack

Really?!?
You travel a lot and don't have a cheapo 3G USB stick for you?

Is it really that huge problem? How often do you find yourself on the road and wanting get online but not having connection? Most hotels have free broadband, so do airports, trains and these days even busses and planes (even though it's costly). For everything else, there's the 3G USB stick (or tehtering from your phone).

Please tell us how often you find yourself outside the above environment and just *have to* fire up Diablo for some quick XP?

I call sheannigans..

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:40AM SgtBaker1234556 said

• Half a heart
@Apakal

And so here you are on a MMO site, protesting loudly against games that require you to be online and also own all your virtual property as you're just subscribing (paying rent) to access their virtual worlds?

C'mon man.. it's really hard to buy with those arguments

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 12:47PM Apakal said

@SgtBaker1234556

The site I'm on is irrelevant when we're discussing a game who's largest component is single player RPG, that I'm paying to own, not rent.

At the very least, I'm actually making an argument, where as you haven't even come close to making a valid point in proponent of always-on DRM for a single player experience.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 12:52PM Space Cobra said

@SgtBaker1234556

Sometimes, I feel like a nut.
Sometimes, I don't.

The thing is, many supporters are falling back on this, "Why worry you are always connected? You can still play single-player...but online."

Really, I am not connected to the internet 24/7. There are times I unplug it for various reasons. I know what Blizzard wants to do, but really, there are times it's just easier to single-play your own instance and have things you control (hint/hint) in the privacy of my own game client. If I want to ruin my own game in my own privacy, that should be my right. Online, is different and I don't mind following the rules and regs.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 2:38PM SgtBaker1234556 said

• Half a heart
@Space Cobra

Well that's a very valid reason, thanks. You're of course welcome to *choose to unplug* if you feel like it.

And since it's your choice, you're probably not very upset about Blizzards choice to make their game online only. For those moments of Internet free play, you'll probably chose something else.

It's about choice after all.

I'm just a wee bit tired of all the made up excuses of "oh but I travel to remote volcanoes all the time and I don't have Internet", so screw Blizzard for forcing me!

That is bull.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 2:41PM SgtBaker1234556 said

• Half a heart
@Apakal

Read the headline again, this is still about MMO's - and they're very much online. Get back to the topic (which you started derailing) or just shut up.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 2:47PM gundamxzero said

• Half a heart
@Apakal
So do you see the irony in assuming that I am "spineless"?

Personal e-judgements aside, the proof is in the numbers. I really have a hard time believing that people that have ready access to the internet are not going to buy a game just because it requires an internet connection. You list other companies but im sorry they arent even in the same league. People are being horrendously narrow-minded about this and to me, its like a 3-4 year old temper tantrum. The game will be fantastic, it will have amazing features and it will sell millions guaranteed. Its the kind of quality you can expect from a company that every game they make breaks and smashes records. Times are changing technology is changing and just like I said before, people cling to their nostalgia.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 2:51PM Bramen said

• 1 heart
@Apakal
You pay to own a book, but you don't buy the rights to that book. You have a copy of that book.
Same with a game. You pay to own a game. But that doesn't give you the rights to that game. You just have a copy of that game. You can't do anything you want with it.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 3:40PM Cyclone Jack said

@SgtBaker1234556

You'd be surprised how many locations in the US still have really horrible service.

What happens when you are in the middle of something, say you're fighting Diablo, internet interruption, lost connection, nice main menu. That, to me, is horrible design. I'm sorry, but I cannot support stupid decisions like that. I will not be buying Diablo 3, even though I have thousands of hours logged on D2 and have been waiting for D3 for years.

On top of that, you completely kill the mod community, which is what made D2 so good, to me at least. There were some great mods out there, created by some very talented people. I loved playing through the game as one of the Prime Evils in advance of the game's Hero, or playing in a game where all the maps were ginormous (256 rooms each, iirc), or playing some of the creative classes people made.

Sorry, I'll stick with Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn, where they actually care about their customers and community.

Why I Play: ArcheAge