Posted: Aug 11th 2011 4:48PM Seffrid said

I suspect this game will break two records - the number of sales in the first 3 months and the biggest fall in active players within the next 3 months.

Bland graphics and an overly solo-oriented gameplay (and that's coming from a diehard solo player) will ensure that it fails to compete long-term, it simply won't create the immersive sense of community that is essential for a successful multi-player game in the long run.

That, and the fact that notwithstanding the pre-order boxes in the shops there is still no actual release date. After so many delays it does not bode well. Those who have seen the game on sites such as Massively seem to be distinctly under-whelmed by it.

I wish it well, but the hype is excessive, just as it always is for games few people have actually seen. I recall those two other WoW-beaters that were going to take MMOs into the next generation and beyond, Warhammer Online and Age of Conan. I rest my case!

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 6:16PM hereafter said

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:53PM (Unverified) said

@Seffrid

No case to rest, just your opinion.
As for fantasy, there have been so very many fantasy MMO's that I think people have grown a bit sick of the same fantasy theme again, and are more interested in non-fantasy world settings like scifi.
SWTOR will have all the gameplay features that other AAA themepark MMO's, on the same level or better, I think when you combine that with a far more enjoyable quest leveling experience, a high degree of polish and a very massive MMO world/universe with 17 planets, that there's enough and explore for MMO gamers.

Besides, demo and beta reports what I've heard so far are for the large majority positive to excited.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 4:52PM (Unverified) said

Comparing a game that is just now coming out's sales to a game that has already sold missions of copies and is selling an expansion is not fair game. It already had 11 million subscribers, so obviously a large amount of them will want to continue playing so they are guaranteed a large number of sales.

This is a brand new game, that really no one knows much about at this point, but what we do know is it looks and should be amazing.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 4:55PM Eamil said

@Ren54

Definitely possible considering not only the strength of the Star Wars IP but Bioware's brand recognition. I'm interested in seeing just how well they do.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 5:17PM Ardra Diva said

And six months after launch, one third will still be playing...

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 5:19PM Crovak said

"I also think that the casual interest in checking out sci-fi games far exceeds the committed enthusiasm in playing them long-term. Fantasy wins every time, and Guild Wars 2 is just around the corner - free to play."

A valid observation but I would put forth this idea. BioWare has no need to create a following, as did WoW and any other new "fantasy" title. They just have to tap into a preexisting "consumer base" that has been cultivated for decades. Arrogance, bad decisions, lack of foresight can shoot any business in the foot. But from what I can see, overall, BioWare as a whole has not displayed those attributes. I for one think, and really hope, they can pull it off in style.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 5:23PM PhelimReagh said

Nothing like managing people's expectations, lol.

So if they only sell 2 million boxes, disappointment abounds!

I have no interest in the game, and wonder what is so special that everyone thinks that millions of people will play it.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 5:24PM (Unverified) said

Looks like the expectations are going nowhere but upward. This is a good thing.

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to seeing how SWTOR and WoW coexist in the marketplace. There's plenty of room for both, and the increased competition can do nothing but improve the experience for us consumers.

I wrote a recent blog about this very topic over at CSB Gaming. Check it out! http://wow.csb-gaming.com/wordpress/?p=556#more-556

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 6:13PM hereafter said

Pretty good news! Two million steady subscribers would be amazing, in my opinion. I just want there to be enough for development to continue and for new content to come at a steady pace. I don't care if it leads the market, I just want it to do well so all the players can continue enjoying it. Anyone who wishes for a game to fail are wishing for gamers to lose out, which doesn't sit right with me.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 6:18PM Averice said

Just don't make your servers empty by expanding too fast.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 6:37PM Space Cobra said

See, I am more conservative and I'd be more confident about their first numbers (1.5 mill) than these numbers. Actually, I am confident, if the game is accepted with its elements, 6 months out (or more) it could keep 500K subs, but that's me being conservative.

Personally, I hate investment Analysts. I'd rather expect conservative numbers and be pleasantly surprised by real numbers. They get things more wrong than right much of the time.

Now, optimistically, given the Star Wars name-recognition, I'd say 3 million or more will try it out...eventually. This number may grow as the year moves on, because, not everyone buys an MMO at launch (I know! You are shocked by this! ;P ).

I mean, 3 million is possible; it could be more, it could be less. The game will gain subs and lose them as time goes on. I just don't like multiplying pre-orders by some arbitrary number, even though I know not everyone who plays MMOs pre-order it. (I know! You must be shocked by this, too! Or nodding in agreement as your fantastically combed hair glistens and shines in the warm glow of your inner room! ;) )

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 7:03PM Deadalon said

Really doesn't matter how this game is - Everything is better than BLizzard atm. Even EA and 10000 Downloadable junks they throw out.

Blizzard is the lowest of low with their real money Diablo AH. Just can't get any lower.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 8:49PM Szasss said

Some people didn't believe in the telephone or the electric light bulb either.

Some people swore against the railroad and the interstate highways.

Some people still do.

You cannot stand in the way of progress. Old games are old and new games are new. New games are better. That is just how it usually goes.

Just like bad games are bad. The new hotness is the new hotness.

The only difference now is everyone knows what to expect, and they want a game that eliminates the bad stuff and adds more they like.

Familiarity will only keep you afloat so long... ask Mr Wipple, Charlie the tuna and Morris the cat.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:01PM Samhayn said

@Szasss

so the game that is "not reinventing the wheel" and is basicaly a WoW/EQ clone but with a well known IP is somehow going to be "better" then the games it is copying?

i know this game will do well, the fact that its star wars pretty much cements the fact it will sell well.

as for me i'm done with th same old same old, throw a new skin on an old concept doesn't appeal to me, i think "old" gamers like myself are ready to move on to something diffrent and the only things i see coming down the pipe that change the formule are TSW and GW2.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 9:31PM Royalkin said

Well, I'm glad that some people are getting the game they want. I'm dubious of these claims, but if they are true, I think it will eliminate what little (if any) enthusiasm remains, both for developers and investors towards sandbox titles. This makes me very sad.

F2P and Cash Shops have ruined online gaming, now developers feel no compunction towards charging for features that were once included. I detest this. Even though TOR is not an F2P game, the onslaught of gamers supporting this model is driving the industry, and developers (in order to be successful) have to cater their titles towards them. Moving forward, this leaves little choice for those of use who truly detest this model.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 9:44PM JoolaPrime said

@Ren54 This wont be the WoW killer. It handles it content so differently to WoW that many ppl who love WoW for what it is wont appreciate the change.

BW have done an excellent job of transferring the experience you might have in Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Knights of the Old republic into the MMO setting and players expecting a WoW clone will be disappointed.
It has the core MMO mechanics we all expect, they aren't WoWish, they've in most MMOs I've played before or since WoW. The difference TOR offers is how you experience the world. When BW say no reading of quests that's what they mean (not counting referring to your quest log), everything has a cut scene and its own voice over - that may not seem like much in the way of difference but it certainly changed the game for me.

I would say if you enjoy BWs epic single player RPGs and can appreciate that element in an MMO (which to date isn't in any I've played) then this game is an absolute winner.
If you're looking forward to a grindfest of killing rats in space then you probably wont like this game

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 1:30AM Borick said

@JoolaPrime

So, instead of picking out the high points in quest text and clicking past it to get to the good stuff, I will have to wait out cutscene after cutscene?

I'm NOT a fan of Mass Effect or any of those sorts of 'choose your own cutscene' games, but even if I were I don't know if I could follow turning that system into an MMO.

They'll get sales, and customers -- the marketing machine is good at what it does, and I'm trying to back off on my criticism of a game that other people might like, but it's tough to swallow the thought that more of this drek might be forthcoming if the studios get the idea that it'll make a buck.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 2:25AM JoolaPrime said

@Borick

If you're not a fan of the other games by Bioware I mentioned then this MMO is not for you. Bioware have said TOR is the spiritual successor to KoTOR and it plays as such.

I can understand how you might find it hard to see two seemingly different styles of game meshed into an MMO – I know I was – but they’ve done it and I like the change.

And no, I can’t see other games coming out like this any time soon. It’s just too much work. From memory the voice assets alone are the size of vanilla WoW when it was released.
Fortunately there’s a lot of MMOs out there already for people to play and we all know there’ll be a new bunch next year along with TOR.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 10:32PM NeverDeath said

• Half a heart
@Eamil

Bioware's Brand Recognition isn't spotless anymore I'm afraid, with Warhammer Online and Dragon Age 2 under their belts.