Posted: Aug 11th 2011 2:29PM Bladerunner83 said

This is great news for Funcom, but tying the new movie in as new content? I remember SWG doing crap like that, and dumbed down their game with that retarded character, Jar-Jar. I'd rather Jar-Jar my brain with a hammer than see movie content in an aged game.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 3:50PM Daemodand said

F2P is once again proven to work. Like it or lump it, this is the future of the industry.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 7:14PM Bladerunner83 said

@Daemodand

I wouldn't say the future of the industry, but F2P will still be around for the next few years. Hell, If I had a option to make a sub game or a F2P, I would opt. for the sub model. The subscription model is everywhere, not just in games, it's a viable source of income. The stigma of F2P (being cheap and crappy) has diminished some, but there are still F2P games that cannot run a sub model. Games that successfully run a sub model do so because they exceed their competition in quality. Subscription will still be around, even after F2P finally pushes out a AAA title. It's funny when people dumb down their perspective as we look at possible solutions to making money, "F2P is the only way!" ... "Sub is the only way!". Why not both? If the game is good it will have more than one server, let's make one server F2P and the other server sub. There are obviously two kinds of people; If you give both groups a choice it will bring in more people and more income.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:44AM Poordevil said

@Bladerunner83 "F2P is the only way!" ... "Sub is the only way!". Why not both? If the game is good it will have more than one server, let's make one server F2P and the other server sub. "

I don't think having separate servers for FtP and sub would work because the game design is influenced by the business model. Funcom will be developing the game going forward with the FtP model in mind. There is no doubt development decisions will be influenced and implemented to enhance this new business model.

Funcom has actually stated that Unchained is a hybrid business model rather than strictly free to play, so in that sense there are two options, it is just rolled into one package.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 8:50PM Rhazes said

The 2g cap is horrible. I haven't played in a year logged in went to trader to update the slots I don't have raid gear in and then noticed I can't buy any good level 80 stuff because of the 2g cap. I logged off and uninstalled.

Why pay premium in a F2P game when 80% of the players can't afford anything over 2G.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:52PM arodriguezc said

@Rhazes

Funcom is trying to double dip, because they want you to pay the sub and then they want you to pay for stuff in the store.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 10:53AM spamero said

Yes and in the second month there will be 3k left.. big fucking news.. its failcome afterall

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014