Posted: Aug 10th 2011 4:30PM Tanek said

@j1083

There is a point there, though, especially since it sounds like the backgrounds are similar as well. Can't count graphics against them. :)

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 3:50PM (Unverified) said

I actually still think that the Sylvari look like green elves covered in leaves, not plant- born "humanoids".

I would prefer facial features more reminding of nature than just putting Leafs over eyebrows, beards, hair and ears.
Also, didnt they say they reworked the anatomy to get away from elves and towards the initial idea of plant- born ?
Why is it then that I still see skinny, green elve bodies, reminding one of teenager anime heroes ala kingdom hearts.

Give them extended limbs and altered weight in different body areas.
This still looks like pansy elves, who painted themselves green after knitting that plant- lingery.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 6:45PM Valdamar said

Before the redesign I had no interest in playing a Sylvari - I still have no intention of playing a Sylvari, but the race design has obviously been improved with a lot more thought going into it in the past year - and as I will have to share a world with characters of this race I'm glad about that.

Personally I don't expect every race to appeal to me and I'm glad that the people who want a more delicate-looking race will have options. Personally I'd already decided that most of my characters will be Norn and Charr anyway (with maybe an Asura for comedy value!), so I'm fine with not wanting to play Sylvari.

Not forgetting to mention it will be great to be playing an MMO without a traditional/stereotypical elf race, when in most MMOs it seems like 75% of the playerbase are playing elves.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 6:55PM Averice said

It still looks like humans with leaves glued on to me.

And what's that about "illusion" of being human? It's still an eyebrow. Just because the art around it looks like a leaf doesn't mean it isn't an eyebrow.

They look like a different take on wood elves.

The "you've never seen anything like this" line just reminds me of FF13's race of forest bunnies.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 9:38PM Tizmah said

@Averice The illusion of being human is that their anatomy has a reason. They didn't just slap a green skin on a human modal and throw on the default eye brows. They gave them anatomy that makes sense for their race. It's not hair for their eyebrow. It's the way the leaves mold across their form. Sylvari are mimicking humans by manipulating their leaves.

And don't you mean FF12?

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 9:44PM Tizmah said

@Tizmah I could say a dwarf just looks like a short fat human. I could say a wolfman is just a wolf on two legs. I could say an Ent is just a tree with legs and arms.

You'll find these actually make the most interesting creatures because they are relatable to us. Anything that is truly unique on all ends of the spectrum is just stupid to us. That's why "truly" unique things aren't around because they got posted on 4chan with a "lolwut" stamp underneath since they are completely stupid.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 11:06PM Kolrflikkr said

This is what they did not want to duplicate:

Dryad:

Ent:

Elf:
Well we allll know what elves look like.

I think they came up with something in between the Ent and the Dryad like they wanted to do and didn't come close to looking like the Sylvan from DAoC.

Win WIn