Posted: Aug 10th 2011 6:13PM Zach Adams said

C'mon, Synapse is great. He's the kind of guy whom stood upnto do the right thing (reporting R&D embezzlement to his higher ups at Crey), got tortured for it and CONTINUED to do the right thing anyway. He's badly underused in the canon, but he's still my favorite of the Eight. I just wish more was done with him outside the context of the novel.

Which does not change my belief that he'll be going out like Barry Allen in a few months.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 7:32PM (Unverified) said

Hey now. Synapse's origin is a little more than just getting hit by electricity. It's more being experimented on against his will by an evil company (who blasted him with electricity ... a lot).

Still, he's probably going to be the one who dies. I mean, he's a blaster, and on top of that there's a history of him not doing so well.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 7:51PM Zach Adams said

@(Unverified) Not only that, but it was the company he WORKED FOR, for the crime of being a conscientious employee. (And not even conscientious in the 'we really shouldn't be cloning dead supers' sense, since he wouldn't have known about that, but in the sense of 'drawing higher-ups' attention to the embezzlement being carried out by the mad scientist running half the R&D dept' sense.)

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 9:49PM rockman0 said

@(Unverified) That video came to mind when I was reading Synapse's case too.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 7:39PM deadborder said

In a big event, it's the "Tokens" who die first. BAB is a dead man walking

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 8:01PM (Unverified) said

I love BABs I really hope they don't off him. He's such a cool character and he has such potential for the old man coming back and whooping more ass.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 8:20PM Cyclone Jack said

@(Unverified)

Agreed. It would be interesting to see if they use him a the TF contact to retake Galaxy City in the future.

Personally, I say keep BAB, Positron, Manticore and Citadel, off the rest. All my chars stared in GC, so BAB is the man. Positron is actually one of the few surviving eight that I can tolerate, and I think he has a cool suit. Manticore surviving and Psyche getting killed could turn Manticore Vigilante, which would be good from a Going Rogue perspective. As for Citadel, an android offers so many possibilities for story twists and turns down the line.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 11:53PM Valdamar said

I really don't care who dies as long as it's not BaBs!

Of course it probably will be BaBs as he's the only character in the Surviving Eight who doesn't give a Task Force in-game (thus it's easier to kill him off) and whose zone will be wrecked in the next update when we know one of the Surviving Eight is killed :/

I do agree with the article that killing Numina or Citadel would evoke no drama due to their non-living and fairly low-key status - I think Positron, Synapse, Manticore and Sister Psyche are fairly safe either because they have developers still at Paragon who use their identity, or because they're fairly major storyline characters in lore - so personally I'm hoping Statesman gets killed because it would be dramatic and I don't like him - but yeah, hopes aside, I still think it will be BaBs :(

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 2:29AM mattwo said

If BaBs dies I will sick Chuck Norris on the Devs. Because he may be old, but he's still bad *** just like Norris.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 7:55AM UnSub said

In previous discussions on the topic, Paragon Studios has indicated that removing Statesman isn't an option - he's on the front of nearly everything that is CoH-related. He is the game's icon, so killing him off creates too many problems outside the game.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 11:55AM Sente said

They would not kill off any character whose name a developer has adopted and certainly a veteran like Synapse (the dev) in this case.

So I think all characters whose name is associated with a developer, even a former collegue like Mr Emmert, may be safe.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 12:42PM Faith said

BAB's is definitely the most obvious with the not already having a TF, and being stationed in a zone that is going to get destroyed. I hope they realize he's the obvious choice and used that to swerve everyone with the real death. I would love for it to be Statesman.

Posted: Aug 11th 2011 3:48PM Daemodand said

If BABs dies, it will definitely have emotional resonance within the player base, but in the wider gaming community it'd be a non-story. And there's that uncomfortable edge to following the trope of the black guy always dying first.

Numina is a total non-entity. I can only imagine how bad the other entries in that contest were that such a forgettable character won. Her death would be a non-event.

Synapse has been through enough. Time for him to catch a lucky break and survive for once.

Citadel is a robot so can't die in the true sense of the word. Citadel 2.0 would be too easy an escape, as well. He'd be a poor choice.

Statesman remains the best choice for the kill-off. The front man for the game for nearly 8 years, it's a big story in the community and as big a one as you could get from something like this in the wider gaming community, as well. Only downside is his death would more be welcomed, even celebrated, by the player base than mourned. Statesman is just that unlikable. Then again maybe that unlikability is the best reason of all to see him off.

Posted: Aug 14th 2011 2:07PM J Brad Hicks said

It won't be Back Alley Brawler, for the same reason it won't be Sister Psyche: they're in the new tutorial, and they're not going to re-do the new tutorial two months after they release it.

I think you've made a pretty compelling case that it'll be Citadel. I remember him fondly for one grace note during the Top Cow comic book series ... and NOTHING ELSE. The only places I can think of where he even shows up, in the game, he shows up as an undistinguished disposable extra: once as some guy in the background when villains wipe the floor with the superteam he's a member of, and one other time as the weakest member of that superteam, and therefore a good one for a villain to take as a hostage in order to lure out the member of that team that your employer actually wants beaten up. Not exactly a distinguished career.

(And the Citadel Task Force series of missions needs to die in a fire. Now that the Positron Task Force has gotten updated, Citadel's is the single dullest task force in the game, and the rewards are below mediocre. I don't know if that has anything to do with the likelihood of them killing off a character or not, though.)

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:34AM Von Krieger said

@J Brad Hicks

Though I'm not sure how they're going to do it, it's been said that the story arc is going to last for around 7 months. They might have the actual death of the character later on in the arc?

The Stream Team: Vanguard's final week

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 11:00AM

WRUP: This is why we can't have nice things

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 10:00AM