Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:20PM Alamar01 said

I'm "coping" if you want to use that term by making a massive commemoration video. I've posted on the swtor and SWG boards asking folks to send me any screenshots that show the fun us players had rather than focusing on the bad times. So far I've received a bunch of emails. I'm looking to finish the project sometime before SWG is finally taken down in Decemeber and plan on sharing it with the public.

If anyone is interested in helping out, just send any fun SWG screenshots (from any era) to swgscreens@gmail.com. Make sure to include the name of your character and server.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:26PM SiML said

"How do you cope with the fact that the game is shutting down?"

Like an elephant i never forget, so therefore I sit and I let my feelings fester in the pit of my stomach, letting them coalesce into a little dark kernel of boiling hatred.... then i'll cry for a bit.

Maybe do some drawings of the execs responsible before stabbing said drawings violently with a crayon, or letting it all out through the medium of expressive dance.

Then I'll avoid all future releases from those responsible.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:38PM Space Cobra said

I agree and disagree with your article.

I do like the sentiment about it: Go and run and just have fun with as much of the game as you can. I tend to follow this type of thinking myself (or attempt to follow it) in real life and other bad situations. Even one of my replies basically said I was going to log in and just enjoy and level up as much as I can.

But, some folks do like to save stuff, even though it may be doomed and really, I can't blame them. You mentioned one example, "Family Guy" but you know, that WAS saved during its first run by such a campaign/consumer demand. So was the original Star Trek TV show. Many people wrote in and it got extended to a third season. And even when it was cancelled you know what happened? Network executives kicked themselves because the new Neilsen rating that just got released showed it appealed to the young male college demographic with lots of disposable money, something advertisers would pay money for.

And really, even attempting to protest/rally a movement to "save something" isn't all bad. Some people benefit from such campaigns into their real life; they learn something in the process (or not, again, it all depends on the person). And really, as you said, sometimes such games are picked up by other studios and the reason they pick it up could be because of such efforts; look at it this way, if nothing was done and no one complained, how would you, as a studio, be interested in picking up a recently canceled game that no one rallied for? (Most likely, "Not very interested at all," right?)

For some folks, the act of all this can seem very cathartic rather than just lying down. Again, there is value in both sides of the argument, not just the one.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:14PM aberent said

"How do you cope with the fact that the game is shutting down?"

Let the emulation begin

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:22PM (Unverified) said

"How do you cope with the fact that the game is shutting down?"

I realize it's just a game

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:36PM Jef Reahard said

@(Unverified)

That's a nice way to trivialize it. The reality, though, is that it is/was more than a game to a lot of people for a variety of perfectly valid reasons.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:25PM (Unverified) said

@Jef Reahard

Jef,

Other than professional gamers, developers, bloggers or any other person who makes a paycheck from them, it is just a game.

You can make an excuse to say it's more than just that. But in reality, so do alcoholics, gambling addicts, nymphomaniacs, hoarders and anything else that can invoke obsession, fanaticism, and addiction.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 4:21PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified who replied to Jef)

That seems a bit extreme. Creativity and play are important to members of modern societies both of which SWG have going for it, and when you throw in the social interaction and friendships that are made in-game, it all becomes something worth having. Nobody can determine what is most valuable to you other than your own self; the same goes for other people.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 5:52PM Dril said

@(Unverified)

On the other hand, alcoholics, gamblers and the like can justify their actions with "it's just a drink, I can quit any time I like."

It works both ways.

Although you're doing your experience in the MMO and the game itself a disservice by just dismissing it as a game.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 6:30PM Jef Reahard said

@(Unverified)

I dunno, long before I was a pro blogger SWG was more than a game to me. Does that put me on par with "alcoholics, gambling addicts, nymphomaniacs, hoarders and anything else that can invoke obsession, fanaticism, and addiction?"

It's fine if it didn't make an impression on you, that's pretty common, but it's ignorant to assume that to be the case for everyone. In my case, I met two of the most important people in my "real" life thanks to SWG, and as a result (and due to the sandbox nature of the beast) the game is as much a virtual space (and a bunch of memories) as it is an MMORPG. It's not too far removed from having fond memories of your first house, or the park where you met your wife, etc.

And really that's not even touching on the creative aspects of the game that haven't been replicated in other titles. Long story short, sorry, but it's more than a game on many levels (none of which have to do with armchair psychology).

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:28PM (Unverified) said

In the case of SWG, I celebrate it memory by steadfastly refusing to ever play another game with the LucasArts name attached to it.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:00PM DevilSei said

I think its a bit unfair to just completely disregard what these fans are doing to try and save something they love. They are doing what they think they should be doing, and who knows, these things could spark a creative burst in SWG that ends up benefiting everyone in the game.

And depending on the thing, it isn't just the diehard fans who are paying for it already who show support for revivals. Mega Man Legends 3 and its cancellation has sparked a large movement to get the game back. The original number of NA Devroom Servbots has easily more than tripled. Why? Not everyone felt like they could give anything to it, others wanted to play the game with nothing spoiled to them by the Devroom. The facebook page alone has 40k pushing for it, which is a much much greater number than the "support" gleamed from just glancing at servbot numbers for NA.

And to be fair, Firefly was prematurely canceled, but fan support led to the creation of "Serenity", a sequel of sorts to kind of finish off the series.
Family guy was canned by fox, picked up by others, then brought back and is still going. The 10th season is set to begin September 25th, so it hasn't gone dark.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:00PM (Unverified) said

Well, we do need to be more conservative with this stuff. Curate it to some degree. These cultural artifacts have value beyond just being "silly games".
For example: there are a ton of little companies out there trying to make educational games, that just can't afford the development costs. If there was a bridging solution that would allow us to adapt legacy software like SWG for the purpose of serving as a platform for serious games that would be very helpful. Otherwise it goes to waste and disuse and is indeed just another cast off toy.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:25PM dudes said

Destroyed by Lucas and co. How ironic.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 4:04PM Ocho said

This sounds a lot like an article giving advice on how to deal with break-ups in general. Stop trying to fight a losing battle and just enjoy it while its still there.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 4:43PM Dunraven said

From what I am seeing most SWG Nu....err "fans" are coping by crying incessantly on the TOR forums to make TOR SWG 2.0, they haven't won any friends amongst the mods or dev team. I loved what Biowares community manager told one SWG "fan" who was in tears at Comic-con.

"It's never going to be anything like SWG move on" Right after that Adam Sessler did that piece on fringe gamers who give the rest of us bad names and he used SWG as a prime example.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 5:10PM Ardra Diva said

@Dunraven

Gee. how incredibly stupid of someone to think the game devs actually cared what the fans wanted...

/end sarcasm

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 6:03PM Dunraven said

@Ardra Diva goofygrrl is that you? /smirk

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 7:33PM (Unverified) said

@Dunraven

Well, he was right about that. TOR is nothing like SWG. SWG was good.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 5:00PM Ghostspeaker said

I find that's a better way to deal with life in general. Most of the time change is outside our control, no matter how much we may wish it were otherwise. Make the most you have while you still have it, because all we have is only borrowed and someday the universe will take it back.