Posted: Aug 9th 2011 11:46AM (Unverified) said

This was definitely a game I enjoyed, although for a short period of time. What went wrong on the server I played on, was that this guild got out of hand in its size and popularity which led to it crushing any guild that was attempting to gather numbers. However, I do remember reading a story that one day a bunch of small nations rose up and destroyed this city. But I had already quit the game by then, since the three guilds I was in got crushed by said guild. I think they were called CoS, I forget what it stood for.

All some developer has to do is make another game like Shadowbane, but make penalties for guilds that get bigger than a certain size, thus making said city hard to maintain.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 11:47AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Anyone know how to become un-unverified. Ive tried logging in and out... Sigh.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:04PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I've tried for months to get help or support regarding the Unverified issue, and it never seems to go away nor do I get any response, as there's no real support for a free site like this. I guess the only options are to make a new account or to continue with Unverified.

But yeah, I remember Shadowbane. A little too much PvP for my taste, since people could, more or less, kill you and take your stuff anywhere at any time, even your own party members.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:27PM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified) 1 & 2

One possible solution given was to log into the joystiq website (www.joystiq.com) and pray that works.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:00PM SnarlingWolf said

@(Unverified)

That is exactly the problem with big open-world PvP games with harsh penalties.

People get so much enjoyment out of ruining the game for other people that they literally drive off the players and thus ruin the game for themselves. They gank newbies non-stop, they destroy people's work, they just make life miserable because it is "fun". They never think "What will happen if we drive off these players?"

This is the same reason Darkfall will never be big. They drive off any new players that might try out the game.

People have to learn to sometimes give the other players a chance, or even help them, in order to increase their own fun long term. But, FFA PvP type people will never learn that concept and will just kill game after game that tries to cater to them.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:29PM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra I logged off both sites and logged onto joy... lets see what happens.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:23PM pixledriven said

@SnarlingWolf

FFA PvP isn't for the masses. They (like you) can't handle it.

The problem isn't that PvPers drive everyone off, it's that people constantly whine about how mean PvPers are; so many people who may enjoy the playstyle don't bother to try it.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:36PM SnarlingWolf said

@pixledriven

Actually I played many of the early no rules PvP games.

Like a typical griefer you assume anyone who points out the truth "just can't handle it". Try looking at the facts. You can continue on and grief new people/less skilled people all you want, I have no problem with that. Just don't be surprised when the games you like are ghosts towns/shut down due to lack of interest.

There is a large difference between playing in a FFA PvP world and griefing because the only way you can have fun is to ruin the fun for other people. One keeps the game alive, the other kills it.

Do what you want, the death of those games doesn't affect me.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:56PM Space Cobra said

@SnarlingWolf

Just to point out, SnarlingWolf makes a good point.

As with Real World Hunters, you need to promote conservation among wildlife (or other players). The Bartle test pointed this out already in early MUDs : Wolves kill Explorers/PvErs. PvEers leave. Wolves (PvP) now either clash against each other or grow bored since they are no easy targets. PvPers leave.

It's an old cycle that's been around. Really, I like both PvP and PvE, but there are more players who like PvE. If the balance isn't maintained, things get lopsided.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 5:20PM pixledriven said

@SnarlingWolf

Unfortunately I'm not a griefer, I'm an anti, so your barb missed it's point there. Try again?

Apparently you played many of the early no rules PvP games, and now you're bitter about the experience because you got griefed and it hurt your feelings. So you want to decry the playstyle as bad just because it's not for you.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 10:47AM SnarlingWolf said

@pixledriven

You can pointless argue a losing argument. Or you can go look at how the FFA PvP games are doing. They're not doing well, they have tiny player bases and they die off fast.

I win on data alone. Continue to try to act like you don't grief yet it bothers you when someone points out griefing kills a game. I'll still be around when none of those games are.

Posted: Aug 10th 2011 9:24PM ShadowWar said

@SnarlingWolf

EVE Online seems to be doing quite well...

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 11:54AM bobfish said

Something not mentioned was the almost complete focus on PvP. Like Guild Wars since, the leveling was short sweet and simple, because the idea was to get you into a state where you were able to go out and PvP.

I miss Shadowbane, I think a new game building on what it tried to do could work well today, especially with what people have learned from free to play business model and accessibility since then.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:11PM epilepticemu said

I really really wanted Shadowbane to live. But in the end, I followed it before release longer than I actually played it. While I loved the PvP idea, the total lack of instruction in the PvE at the start threw me off. I'd love to have a replacement guild oriented PvP, in which castles/cities were built by guilds.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:19PM Resurge said

Nothing quite like playing a Thief in shadowbane. Forget all the stealth-ers you've ever played. The Thief from SB was the epitome of what it means to be a sneaky scoundrel, and SB gave you the abilities to back it up.
You could literally stealth into a grp pulling mobs, and steal things from their backpacks ..altho you could be caught if they were paying attention. You could also choose to instead loot the mob they are killing, and quickly loot it before they killed it, and never unstealth. If you were hit with AE (and there was alot of non-targeted AE in SB) you were busted, but luckily the thief was a melee skirmish specialist, and you could hold your own against most classes, particularly the ones designed to uncover and find you like scouts and assassins. If you had your run speed skilled up, you could be the 2nd fastest class in the game (armor slowed down plate wearers, and i guess casters just didn't/couldn't skill running) , and health pools were huge in SB, making fights last pretty long, thus allowing a good thief to run away from anyone bigger and badder than he was.

Many a thief was accused of stealing in a group, and killed on the spot - did we mention full loot rights on dead people? No one would grp a thief they didn't know, so having friends and guild was a requirement, even for the solo-minded.

2 things killed SB. HORRIBLE technical problems and the implementation of sieges. Sieges were awesome and all, but losing months and months of work of dozens(or even hundreds) of people overnight, and therefore having NO HOME, no easy way to find and grp up with friends, no real way to rebuild and keep the guild together just made it awful. You lost too much, too fast and the work to get back to where you were yesterday just made most people who had their guild cities destroyed just say "screw it, i'm out", never to be seen again.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:34PM (Unverified) said

@Resurge Dude, I played a scout and always handed thieves their asses =P I would just kite with slows and bleeds. I built my scout just for taking out thieves, sometimes I ended up in groups just scouting for them. I would let thieves get really close, all the while telling my group what they were doing and to act like we didnt know, before abruptly turning on the thief. Was fun times.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:35PM Resurge said

@(Unverified) yes scouts could kill thieves, but as a thief, there was 0 reason not to just run away from them ...if a thief allowed himself to be kited, then it was his own fault. SB was all about knowing when to fight, and when to gtfo. If all else fails, yell for emergency summon in guild chat :D

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:47PM Tiran Kenja said

Ah yes. Shadowbane. Not sure if if it is the game I have had the most fun in. But it is definitely the one I enjoy the most thinking about :) It is also the game I have looked most forward to playing.

Played it back when it came out on the Death server. Quite a fun place to be with all the battles and the RP. But the server sort of became uninteresting when pretty much everyone eventually allied against LotD and finally managed to neutralize them.

I had some hopes that Darkfall or Mortal Online would become something similar. But so far I have not really been able to get much fun out of either.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:49PM Tiran Kenja said

@Tiran Kenja Meh. It was LoD of course. Not LotD

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:20PM pixledriven said

I'd pay a subscription if someone had the balls to make another Shadowbane.

The game's only real failing was the technology. The code and the servers weren't quite stable enough to support the game. The actual game was stellar.