Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:13PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I've heard from a friend that is in beta that the game needs LOTS of work. I know its beta but his info to me says;
there are tons of bugs
way too much CC especially for a game with pvp
Too many missing functionality;
no target of target
no chat box function like clicking on a pertsons name and even being able to send them a tell
companion glitches (if they get knocked down they start to port all over or move on the ground or simply going invisible)
swift travel from point A to point D requires you to go to B and C first
PVP ques that mismatch team sizes (10 V 6)
No UI / action customization
INSANE LAG and this is in a limited beta with not many people
memory leaks all over
and lots of other things that are missing or broken for a AAA title to have or not have. Now it is beta and I am sure Bioware will work things out and polish but his biggest concern is if they expect a november release like the retail stores are advertising then they have a ton of work to do.
I am still going to play and buy it and see if Bioware can pull off quality in the first 3 months with expansions and such. My only concern is the HUGE amount of time it will take inbetween patches if each patch is loaded with voice over work and how big of a harddrive will I eventually need?

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:24PM Khalus said

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:27PM Grumms said

@(Unverified) I have heard the complete opposite when you are referring to bugs in the game.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:28PM Grumms said

@(Unverified) Also, he is using an old build and you have outdated information. 85% of the stuff you mention, is already fixed (PvP mismatch, chat box; etc)

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:31PM Dunraven said

@(Unverified) You’re Friend either isn't in beta or is lying to you. There are minimal bugs and no lag that I can discern the game currently is in a High polishing stage which means they are going over and obsessively taking care of small issues 80% of people won't notice anyway. They could launch the game today and most folks would be happy.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:34PM Ordegar said

@(Unverified)

Which is why it's not in open beta yet; and what does your post have to do with the article?

@Larry

I like your insights on the Gamebreaker.tv The Republic show, which I have been following every week for a while now. I hope you'll post which server you'll be on when we get a server list, so we can as you say, "join in on the fun."

I am going Jedi. In most mmos with a dark faction, I usually go with that; but in Bioware games I get too involved in the story and characters and I get too creeped out making cruel or selfish decisions. I'm going to have to play Republic in SWTOR.

In Dragon Age 2 I really loved the combat of the 2-hand weapon warrior, and I hope they borrowed from that with the Jedi. If so, that's going to be a lot of fun for me.

I am torn on whether to power up the levels at first, or peruse the story. In most mmos I usually peruse the story and try different classes and races until I find what I like; but doing so always leaves me way behind the curve, so to speak. So, I'm thinking that maybe in SWTOR I'll be a bit less casual with my first character and just get up to cap and have him ready for the end-game; then go at a slower pace with my next character if Guild Wars 2 hasn't come out by then ;).

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:35PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
actually I heard the pvp mismatch last night on ventrilo, as well as a few quests that were bugged. something about a group quest that the quest mob was bugged out and didn't drop the item he needed. Just saying I know lots of fanbois will hate to hear that their precious has flaws but facts are facts. The chatbox as well has no functionality and again this was last night in ventrilo. so he told me ;) a friend in beta........N/M people don't get it i guess.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:42PM chauncy said

@(Unverified) Bugs? In closed beta?! This is madness!

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:21PM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Yeah yeah, first you mentioned "you heard from a friend" and know its "I heard it on Ventrillo last night"? Which is it? Not doing your cred any good.

Like chauncy said.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:33PM Mtor said

@(Unverified) If a couple of bugged quests and "chatbox functionality" are the main compliants of your friend in beta, then it sounds like ToR is on pace to be in great shape upon release.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:59PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

Dont mind the close-minded fanbois, but I will have to say that bugs, such as the ones you described, are to be expected at this stage. Everything you mention is part of the polishing process, which more than likely will not be complete at the end of this year, so yeah there will be some issues at launch, and some features that straight up are taken out (because they are unfinished).

I am curious though about the pvp aspect of this game, it has been a growing concern of mine that CC will make pvp a ridiculous endeavor, where good teams/players could essentially lock you out of combat for an extended amount of time

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 3:08PM Mtor said

@(Unverified) It's called a resolve bar. Look it up.

It's not like Bioware decided to give every class some form of cc and didn't take into account how that might affect pvp.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 4:09PM Sean D said

@Space Cobra

He could have heard it from a friend via Vent.

I have no idea if (Unverified) is being honest or not, but it doesn't really matter. I don't expect any game to be bug free at release, much less one as encompassing as SW:TOR. Neither do bugs diminish my enthusiasm for a game. They're usually squashed in short order.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:40PM (Unverified) said

What guild are you going to be playing in?

I plan to role my first character as either a Jedi Knight or a Jedi Consular. I want to tank, but more importantly than that I want to play a Twi'lek. Hoping JK Twi'lek will be in at launch that will be my main. If not I have no doubt it will be added in a legacy addition, in which case it will be my main then.

The reason I ask about guild is I am having a really hard time finding a Republic guild that suites me. A bunch of old friend of mine from other MMOs are playing, but they are almost all exclusively playing Sith... this creates an issue for me and the small handful that want to play Republic. However, if Massively starts a guild (especially some with the RP as you described, immersion RP) that would be awesome, & just about right for me.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:10PM Larry Everett said

@(Unverified) Actually, I'm not sure which guild I'm going to run with. I know there are some great RP guilds to be found on http://swtor-rp.com, if that is what you are looking for.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:54PM Dril said

"It annoys me when it's obvious that a writer has not experienced himself what he is writing about."
"At the same time, I don't want to be so late beating the operation that everyone else has already completed it and the news is stale."

Those two phrases are pretty crucial (and amazing). If nothing else, I'll be reading your post-launch column avidly just because of that attitude.

Also: do you think if TOR garnered enough interest there'd ever be a "TORInsider" blog a la WoWInsider/Massively? Or are AOL cutting back on the blogging?

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:14PM Larry Everett said

@Dril

Thanks, I feel that a reporters intimacy with the game helps a lot. Every columnist here knows the games they write columns on very well. And it is my goal to give players an intimate look at the TOR when it's released.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 12:58PM hundred said

"Most of all, Star Wars: The Old Republic will be an extraordinary experience for anyone who follows me. "

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 1:04PM jealouspirate said

Since we're talking post-launch plans...

Massively Guild? Is there interest, and if so will it happen?

Or alternatively, are there some blogger-collective type guilds forming? I'd like to set up shop with some nice folks.

Posted: Aug 9th 2011 2:18PM Larry Everett said

@jealouspirate

As much as I'd like to have a Massively Guild for TOR, I will not be able to lead it. I will have far too much to do to run a guild as well. However, there are many great guilds that have already started before the game has even launched. Watch this column, I am looking to do a story on some of the different varieties guilds.