Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:29AM (Unverified) said

My original SWG character Ka'nubis, still means more to me than any character I've played since - and I quit SWG even before the CU, never mind the NGE.

That character helped build the largest residential city on the server, Sunfall, from a small outpost. He was one of the two Rebels that identified the and put down the foundation for the Liberty Bay collection of rebel fortresses that housed some of the most awesome PvP battles you've ever seen. His adventure was unique.

Since then, my other characters in other games have basically done what every other character on in the game has done. There's nothing I can point to and see as unique. For that reason I don't feel I could ever care about them as much.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:33AM Kalec said

I might be disqualified for my answer but my favorite character of them all has no name yet because I have yet to actually make him. However I can say this: It will be my Charr engineer or warrior depending on how the engineer plays.

This might sound like I'm a fanboy saying my favorite character is from a game yet to be released but hear me out.

I have played a lot of MMOs; maybe not as many as some other people but I've seen my fair share of western games (can't stand asian games even though Lineage 2 was my first big MMO). What do most of these games have in common though ? the fact that all races are either re-skinned humans or humans with a tail / humans with big ears / humans with scales / etc.

For the first time I can play something that is definitively not human in any way, does not act like a human and has even completely different walk animations (running on all 4rs) and no .... worgen are still fluffy humans.

On another note: Second favorite is Giberlings from Allods online :D (also not human in any way, shape or form but too cute for me)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:47AM (Unverified) said

@Kalec

I have to say, I'm not normally one for the midget cutesy races, but those little engineer dudes in GW2 with the rugby ball heads and big ears could convert me.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:53AM Alph said

@Kalec
Can it really be called 'fanboying' when what you're 'fanboying' is in 100% `deservement' of such praise. -_^

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:17AM Dril said

@Alph

"Can it really be called 'fanboying' when what you're 'fanboying' is in 100% `deservement' of such praise."

Maybe.

But it's definitely fanboying when you talk about a game being so fantastic even though it hasn't been released or thoroughly playtested yet.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 2:46PM hereafter said

@Kalec

Worgen are the biggest departure so far though (in WoW). I heard their all-fours run was originally an idea for the Tauren that was scrapped at some point. Nice to see it brought back and I hope more games (like GW2 for example) try to differentiate their races in this way. There's a push for "equality" in MMO characters that ends up making everyone seem the same, yet there are ways to balance abilities and movement styles without sacrificing overall balance. I think too often features are balanced on a small-scale and they need to think of balance on a more macro level, even though it's more difficult.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:49AM (Unverified) said

Aerann, my Aion Gladiator. I haven't played him for long, I haven't even reached the level cap, or was particularly strong.
He was just the first character I ever roleplayed with, and I had my best MMO experience yet.
It might not have done really significant things, I wasn't known far and wide, but I had the greatest fun! Too bad that I lost interest in the game without the RP, when everyone left, one by one.
I keep trying to recreate at least the feeling of playing Aerann again, and I have adapted it as my most used nickname (as you can see here).
Characters look like him, but never play the same. They're not the ambitious soldier looking to become a famous hero in the war between two worlds, all the while trying to live up to his father by becoming a weaponsmith.
He might sound simple, a bit (maybe very) cliché, but I loved every minute of gameplay.
You could almost say I looked up to him.
Damn this makes me feel nostalgic. Ahwell. ;D

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:54AM mysecretid said

Out of the legions of characters, I'd have to say my favorite is Captain Alec Shaw, my main in Star Trek Online.

I grew up watching re-runs of the original Star Trek, and it captivated me. I wanted so very badly to be a starship captain, and to adventure in the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek Online takes me as close to living out that childhood dream as I'll ever get.

Since I mentioned STO, I have no doubt that that haters will have nothing but smart-ass responses to my choice, but whatever.

The frisson of joy I get every time Shaw takes his starship out for a spin is what makes all the difference.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 11:12AM Ardra Diva said

@mysecretid

Hey, if the game is fun for you, and you like it, that's fine.

I'm sure other people play games that they love and those have no interest for you, either.

Who is right and who is wrong? Nobody. Might as well argue about which flavor of ice cream is best :)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:59AM Tinkus said

A few years ago when I was into WoW, I created a troll hunter named Elbort. While the game itself was mediocre to me, Elbort made it magical. I refused to break character when I was online in that game, including audio chat. For the people that had my alt in their friend lists as well, it took a lot of convincing that I wasn't two different people.

I eventually busted out my G1 Megatron voice for a Death Knight, which entertained people to no end. Never got to make a character worthy of Cobra Commander, sadly.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:02AM Pewpdaddy said

My favorite is still my Necro from EQ, Barralis on MithMarr. Loved that toon, nothing like farming Tactics and some of the crazy crap you could pull off as a Necro.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:11AM (Unverified) said

My favorite is still my first serious character in FFXI, a Hume Thief named Talamond. I loved playing that job. I wasn't much for roleplaying with others, but Talamond had his own backstory and everything in my mind. I tend to use that name for a lot of other characters (including my current FFXIV character), but the FFXI version is still by far my favorite.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:12AM Elikal said

Phew, difficult to say. I have three.

Akim Tel'Bane, my SWG Jedi/Dancer/Pikeman/CH

Elikal my EQ2 Halfelf Paladin

Yumar, my EQ2 Swashbuckler Fae *woot I haz wingz* ^^

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:18AM Space Cobra said

This is a hard question for me, because I look at characters based on the game they are in. If the game is fun and the class is, I tend to like my characters...in that title.

I mean, I could bring up my free-form characters if that's the case, since it gives my imaginations no limits tied to a particular MMO; all chat-room (or MUCK). Generally, the concepts and tone I can come up with, I enjoy. The wilder the race or circumstance, the better.

On a class mechanic level, I tend to prefer things like a "Warrior Priest/Dicipline of Khaine in Warhammer. If I can tweak a class like that in other MMOs, I do like it. I tend to find myself soloing more so self-healing and attack are big plusses.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:21AM Dril said

The ones I've always liked (but not necessarily played all that much) are, and always will be:

Dril, my human DK in WoW.

Seril, my first character in WoW and now languishing in the 70s.

And my other Dril in AoC, a Bear Shammy. He was awesome.

P.S: I know my naming isn't particularly imaginative, but I do like my characters to have a unified naming theme (and I like the name Dril a lot anyway) and that's the "ril" part. All of my character that I've played to some degree have it worked in.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:25AM alzeer said

FFXI but its kinda of cheating since i can have all jobs/classes on one character :P

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:29AM Loopy said

My Human Paladin from WoW.

It was the very first character i made back in original WoW, and i went through hell and back with him. First PVP with him, very first raid with him. I even roleplayed a bit, although i lacked a good guild to really immerse myself.

He owned a semi-completed T2, countless cool looking RP weapons, and some of the original Feats of Strength - Paladin Charger quest chain, original PVP titles, etc.

I've never felt so connected to an online character like i did to him.

It made me so sad how much they've changed Paladins in Cataclysm, that i just couldn't continue playing him. My new main became my Priest, but i will never remember the good times i've had on the Pally.

Rest in peace Loopy.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:30AM Loopy said

@Loopy Never forget, not never remember lol :)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:36AM Raikulxox said

My Mabinogi character. He's a giant, with almost all combat skills ranked to max, tons of nicely dyed event items you can't get anymore, his transformation skill maxed, most of the generation storylines completed, and officer of a nice guild. So many days spent improving that character.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 9:41AM (Unverified) said

My first horde character was a troll shaman who has been my main for about 4 years and continues to be my favorite character. I like him so much I even wrote a short story about him.

Xotzalqual W.D. (Witch Dokta, he's resto spec).

-X