Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:08PM j1083 said

@(Unverified) Definitely. I really don't understand the "release the game already" comments aside from joking about the sheer excitment. This is taking no longer than any other MMORPG I followed, and I'd much rather wait for a finished product than get something shoved out the gate.

For example, this redo is much, much better than the old sylvari, even if not to my taste. I'm very glad that ANet had the commitment and attention to detail to devote to remodeling them. I *do* wish I had the game in my hot little hands this instant, but quality > all.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:05PM Marked said

The concept work is great and they definitely get major props for creativity.

That said, what I've seen of the Sylvari body models creeps me out. I'll blame it on too many b-rated horror movies. You know the ones where the plant infested and took over someone's body then proceeded to kill everyone.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:06PM Yoh said

...... I think I had a nerdgasim.

Some of those armor sets are sick. Attack my lettuce warriors!
I wonder what Sylvari made weapons would be like?

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:12PM DevilSei said

@Yoh

Well, I'm hoping their Engineering flamethrower pack (if each race has a unique look for it) is a fireflower like in mario! I think I'd die if there firepack looked like it...

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:18PM Yoh said

@DevilSei A flamethrower eh?

Now the trees burn you!

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:08PM Dumac said

Perfect. Exactly what i have been hoping for. They are so gorgeous. Instantly my favorite race. Can't wait to make my sylvari guardian.

So glad they decided to put in the extra effort, it was quite surprising to hear that they will be redesigned because it's quite possibly a gigantic and expensive project with redesigning all parts of the game related to the sylvari. Probably pushed back the release by a good number of months. But i think it's totally worth it.

Other developers take note: you totally CAN redesign parts of your game without fear of fans exploding in rage, as long as you know what you're doing.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:14PM (Unverified) said

My thoughts exactly, its one thing to have a game hyped to ridiculous levels, which would naturally cause a backlash of people wanting more more more info and a rushed released.

Whereas with GW2, they are making it VERY clear, that they are striving for creativity, innovation, and quality which require time. I am very grateful they are taking the time to create (which looks like) a very unique style of MMO, where you can see that the developers and artists put their heart and soul into the project.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:08PM ndessell said

• 1 heart
.... why do plant people have naughty bits the same way as humans....
...why are there males at all...

wtb more smoothness on those underbellies and less dudes

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:16PM Yoh said

@ndessell
Well, plants technically do have two genders...... although a lot of the time it's on the same plant.
Could you imagine a futanari plant race? I would find that endlessly ammusing.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:59PM Utakata said

@Yoh

Lol! :)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:09PM Celestian said

• 1 heart
don't see anything but the one image, can't find the other "9" images.

How hard would it be for massively to link the bloody pics.

The 1 image I do see looks like the green bean giant. Horrible. I hope the rest are not like that.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:11PM Seldra said

@Celestian

Source: ArenaNet blog

Click on that under the main post.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:10PM Seldra said

Give a whole new dimension to the name "Cabbage Patch Kids" eh? ;)

I have to say I'm incredibly impressed by Anet, I was very doubtful they'd be able to pull this off honestly. I was expecting more or less another elf variant but here they go again proving to everyone that they have some of the most creative and innovative men and women working for them.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:15PM Masync9 said

I would like to see more bio luminescence in this type of race where possible. The original race design had them, hopefully they will bring it back. As an idea, when they go to combat they have spores they release or areas on their body that have that soft glow.

I do like the new designs, very cool looking! It does create an alien feeling and just avoiding the uncanny valley feel.

Definitely keeping my eye on GW2 as I really appreciate how they are still trying to push the boundaries some.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:15PM Utakata said

Couple of questions:

1) Technical: How are they going to render all those sprouting polygons from the player characters without causing graphic and bandwidth issues. Up until now...and as far as I am aware, MMO's player character designs have always been smooth ans single entity with 4 limbs and an occasional tail...even the fury ones. Never ones with extra foilage sticking out of them. Or should I just stay away from the public AH's if they start to gather en masse for selling and buying purposes?

2) Lore: Um...how do Sylvari ..."pollinate?" Or do I even want to know? :(

PS: Love the designs though. :)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:18PM j1083 said

@Utakata They sprout fully-formed from the tree. Technically, I don't understand why they have sex at all, save to ape humans. They don't produce through sexual reproduction that I know, just the golden fruits of the Pale Tree.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:52PM Irem said

@j1083
Since their race's knowledge base grows through experience, I think the ability to be sexually active makes sense in that context. They may not need it to reproduce physically, but being able to interact in that way does give something back to the race, as it's an act that has so many facets and influences so much.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 10:29PM Utakata said

@Irem & j1083

Thanks for answering the latter part of my question...since I am completely ignorant about such matters. But fascinating explanations none of the less. Especially Yoh's take on that a few comments above. :)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:15PM (Unverified) said

I had a mild interest in the Sylvari before but now I'm won over. I love the new look, and I found the design process very interesting to read about. Granted a lot of the process would have gone over my head if they went in more depth. They struck a nice balance in that article for technical terms.

I can't wait to play as a Sylvari now since before this redesign I wasn't certain what race I'd play first. It's exciting to feel that anticipation for a race you're genuinely interested in.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:28PM Utakata said

PS: Anyone else planning to RP Vash the Stampede with their pistol weilding Sylvari Thief? :)