Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:52PM DeepSleeper said

So I love this quote:
"The sylvari are not limited by the planes of a human skull; you can shape the jaw with layered vines, or create the illusion of a face by pressing shards of bark together vertically, and splitting the face in two. The brow can simply be a collection of leaves and it is the patterning alone that defines the eyebrow shape, much like the camouflage of a butterfly."

But it makes me wish that any of the pictures showed this actually happening. They just look like "here's a plant... and we slapped a human face on it. Good to go!"

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:09PM epilepticemu said

@DeepSleeper

That is really awesome, and I hope they let you make that decision too. I'd like my sylvari to look NOTHING like a human. Not even a face if I can get away with it.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:54PM Kalec said

• Half a heart
Well I'll be honest here, I was hoping for something more on the lines of poison ivy or the Lady of the forest from dragon age origins, and compared to those I'm a bit disappointed (because deep down I'm a 12 year old boy wanting to play with the sexy female plant model).

Leaving that aside I like the new design of the race way more than I (uhm liked - I suppose) the old design, however one thing is certain:

I will have 3-4 charr
I will have 2-3 norn
I will have 1-2 human
I will have 1-2 asura
I will have 0 sylvari

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:06PM (Unverified) said

@Kalec well.. you can just make an human put sylvari clothes on her.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:53PM Lucidus said

@Kalec you realize the lady of the forest was just an elf with some vines wrapped around her naughty bits, right?

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:03PM epilepticemu said

Nope. I haven't been able to, as it's blocked at my work. I will as soon as I get home.

@Tanek

Hehe, yes, they are allowed to be modest if they want. I just thought it is weird that if they're innately like that, it indicates that modesty is physiological. And if they AREN"T innately like that, I hope the flowers are some willful growth, and not dead. Or else it would be like covering up your genitals with another human's skin.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:02PM (Unverified) said

And mash F5 I did. From 12 to 9, approximately. But boy oh boy, was I reading that article with a smile on my face. They look so much better! Less big-eyed dolls with leaves, more plant!
My friend's brother complained about the winter one being too tree-ish. As if trees aren't plants...
I love the new design, got me really interested in Sylvari, as I wasn't at all before!

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:13PM (Unverified) said

Not a fan of the super-green Sylvari that I thought all Sylvari would look like based on this article. Went into the actual blog post and saw other Sylvari models and I'm much more pleased.

I'm just not a fan of such a bright green as skin color, it's a bit...off for me, so I'm enjoying the lighter green of Caithe and some of the browner skin.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:18PM Octahedron said

I look forward to the squeeeing on GuildCast. That, and now I'm pretty sure I'll be at least *trying* Sylvari first after all.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:18PM Darkmoone said

• Half a heart
Am i the only one who thinks they look terribly awful?

And since when is 10 photos updated content?

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:31PM Lordkrall said

@Ren54

I suggest you wait about a week then, and see them in action at Gamescom :)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:18PM Okamakiri said

• Half a heart
Interesting. A race that gives an option of females with small breasts and females with no breasts, but no males.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:22PM Utakata said

@Okamakiri

Perhaps you have mistaken the one without for females. Non?

I personally have no problem telling them apart even from the head shots. Unless you're are having "issues" that are blinding to you to that fact. /shrug

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:27PM Okamakiri said

• Half a heart
@Utakata

Sarcasm: 1
You: 0

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:55PM Utakata said

@Okamakiri

...yeah, nice troll their bud. Care to share your actual opnion?

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:20PM Tom in VA said

Well, they are ... interesting.

They are definitely better than the previous Sylvari models. I thought I'd seen a really cool concept art of a male Sylvari somewhere that looked downright BA -- I wish they'd gone more in that direction. These fellows look like they'll be carried off like dandelions by the next strong gust of wind.

I'll have to play with the character creator, but the pics didn't give me much hope for playing a male Sylvari that looks good. Fortunately, there are still four other races. I wasn't that interested in the Sylvari anyway, truth be told. Now, I'm even less interested.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:23PM Nenene said

Nearly perfect.

Autumn Sylvari, here I come!

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:35PM Ehra said

I'm still doing a Human Guardian as my first character, but after that I'm really considering doing a Sylvari. Not sure what class, but there's plenty of time for that.

I'm really interested in seeing how "recognizable" different types of clothes/armor remain when comparing a human wearing it to, say, a Sylvari or Charr wearing the same thing.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:48PM (Unverified) said

Neat. Very well done.

Let me play as a Norn now.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:00PM (Unverified) said

Amazing the amount of detail that went into this. I applaud that team, in their determination to create a quality product!!!

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014