Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:41PM hivess said

Awesome. This is the first MMO in which I can see so much variety in customisation within 1 race. We'll be able to create character that looks almost like tree, or a character with barely any plant parts.

"Currently I’m making sure everyone has summer and winter body skins. The summer skin, as you’ve seen, is very lush and leafy with a lot of different types of plant details making up the anatomy. But what about bark textures and shard edges? For this effect we will have a winter skin available which shows more bramble tendons, dried leaves, bark trunks, and gnarled roots woven throughout the body" - Nice.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:41PM epilepticemu said

• Half a heart
"There's one big root to the design direction of the Sylvari that I hold most dear: It all must stem from anatomy."

This doesn't make much sense. They "grow" purple petals to cover up their breasts? As if modesty were some innate biological trait? Why can't they reproduce more like plants, and have anatomy to show it?

I guess that would be too creative. And 12-year-old-boys couldn't get off on trying to scantily cover their pistils. In fact, they'd have to look the word up.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:48PM Tanek said

@epilepticemu

I first thought something similar, if not quite so crude. :) But then I wondered why the sylvari could not be a little modest about their...um...flowering bits.

I mean, look at us compared to our evolutionary precursors.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:57PM kingjiggly said

@epilepticemu
You obviously haven't read the blog have you? I reccomend you pleqse do before you sound like a idiot again.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:24PM Irem said

@epilepticemu
Lore-wise, they're plants which grew to take on the appearance of humans, specifically. Their culture and morality is influenced by other species. They're mimics, in a lot of ways, and it makes sense for them to cover up in order to interact with other species--they just do it with clothing that feels comfortable for them.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 7:23PM Space Cobra said

@Irem

Makes me wonder why there are not Sylvari that mimic the look of other races, like Charr, but I don't know the lore as well as you. ;)

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 7:54PM kingjiggly said

@Space Cobra
which may have affected there physical appearance, but they were planted by a human, but their morals were influenced by a centaur. Also, when they first came out they may have been unclothed, but when they saw the world they realized it was to the bad taste of the other species (charr, asura, human, norn, hyleks, centaur, and so on). So, they decided to clothe themselves. But, Idk if that how Anet would explain it. Well have to wait and see.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 8:45PM Irem said

@Space Cobra
The seed of the Pale Tree was found by a human soldier named Ronan. When he returned home from war, he found that his family had been killed and his home destroyed, and he planted the seed on the graves of his family and swore an oath of pacifism. He and a centaur named Ventari built a sanctuary of peace there, and when Ventari died he left his life's teachings on a tablet at the base of the tree. The sylvari base their morality on the teachings from the tablet, and it's speculated that they mimic humans either because a human planted the tree, or (more morbidly but fascinatingly), it was influenced by what was buried underneath it, or some combination of the two. As someone else was saying (on GW2Guru, I think), if a charr had planted the tree we might have plantly cats.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:43PM Lucidus said

And Arenanet knocks another design decision out of the park. Congrats to Kristen Perry for a job well done.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:44PM FaerliSayne said

The new design is much more unique. I like that they included the option to choose between the leafy green "summer" skin and the more rugged "winter" tree-bark look.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:46PM j1083 said

So, basically, they just amped the plant thing a lot more. Major points for not turning them into He-Man and I'm sure some will be happy but I find them pretty darn ugly, now.

I get that it was a tough design, that they didn't just want elves and I certainly agree they look more like a distinct race, now. Just not my cup of tea. Too planty.

Maybe the ability to customize my own would leave me with a different opinion?

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:22PM Issmir said

@j1083 I hear ya, but on the other hand I'm a lot more interested now than I was.

I guess no design could please everybody.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:01PM j1083 said

@Issmir Very true. I'll always have humans and I am still keen on seeing what I could do in character customization to haul it back over to the more humanoid side of the human-plant spectrum.

In terms of providing us something new, I don't think I've really seen these before, so major props for that. These are definitely better than the old ones.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:47PM Irem said

They're perfect. I didn't know what I was expecting from the redesign, but wow. I can't stop looking at them.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:29PM awitelintsta said

@Irem

Get out of my head, that's what I was going to say!

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:47PM DevilSei said

@Irem
The redesigns are definitely more evocative of the concept art they had in the art book they released. I do think the males could do with a bit of a tone up though. It looks like they've played with the female concept of Sylvari more than male so that's probably why they come up a little... feminine with their body shape, and also more than definitely why the various female models are mind-blowing!

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:21PM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei

I'd love body type options for character customization, but I worry that ArenaNet might pull the same move Blizzard did with the male Blood Elves. I really like the current male body type, and I'm hoping they don't nick it all together in place for a beefed up male Sylvari look instead. More options from here are good in my opinion, not so much replacing them for another.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:32PM DevilSei said

@(Unverified)

Aye, I don't want to see the body typed nixed all together, just if I feel like making a male, I'd appreciate a little tone to them. Though, most likely if I was to make a Sylvari, it'll be female because as I've said, they look mind-blowingly great.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 5:50PM Irem said

@DevilSei
I'm actually more fond of the male models than I am the females (although I love the females, too, I always planned to play a male and was just blown away). They look masculine but impish to me, and they have an aesthetic I don't often see even in less muscular MMO males. I half expect to see the three dudes in the fourth picture down hanging around outside the record store, jamming on their acoustic guitars and good-naturedly bumming smokes, and I LOVE it.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 11:59PM kingjiggly said

@(Unverified) Hopefully they will allow us the abitliy to change... ummmm.... masculinity. (was about to say beefyness, but that is a weird word). In the character customization photo they released (or leaked) theres a charr. buit on the right or left there is some kind of customization scroll thing. At the top is a arm with a muscle, so that may be the thing that allows you to change your... masculinity. Idk. All the pictures of males show the same 2 (or three) people so... Lets wait till more is released :D.