Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:16AM Arkanaloth said

depends on what purpose they serve.

Using Champions hideouts as an example, in their current form they're pointless, but if you add things to them such as bank access, crafting tables, & a fairly decent chunk of additional storage, accessible from anywhere in the game and they suddenly take on far more value for the money.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 1:28PM (Unverified) said

@Arkanaloth

I think if the housing is an instance, it does not make must sense to me if it does not have any function to it. If the housing is not an instance then it's ok to not have any function.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:20AM (Unverified) said

Housing is one of the few things that me and my posse will unquestionably "go premium" for, and to be honest, given how "not game effecting" the feature usually is, the housing is a prime candidate for something you'd pay extra for, IMO, since it pretty much *has* to be one of those "aligning the interests of the consumer and the developer" things. If the only way the "dev time" can be justified for this feature is for it to fund itself, put it in every game, I say! Better that than no option at all!

So, yes. Would pay for housing, and would understand if it was a pay feature in more MMOs, if that would make it happen.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:28AM Vorender said

If it was done right, yes.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 10:42AM real65rcncom said

@Vorender

Agreed. Also depends on the price of the digs.

$5 or $10 one time I would certainly pay for if it got access to all my characters cross account.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:32AM MMOaddict said

I do pay for it. Via the monthly fee/subscription.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:49AM Wensbane said

@MMOaddict

My feelings exactly.

Would I pay extra for them? No, I would not.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 9:36AM deluxe2000 said

@MMOaddict

Generally speaking I'd pay for housing, but only if its feature rich and adds to the immersiveness/social aspect of the game. LOTRO has an isolated and mostly useless housing system (outside of storage space), whereas EQ2's housing is instanced, but accessed from very public areas, and can be used as a vendor stall, so works on many levels for me. SWG;s also a good implementation since housing was in the actual game world.

Proper housing implementation = more money from me.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 10:28AM Ehra said

@deluxe2000

"Well put. If its a game feature, no one should have to pay more then the sub fee to get all game features. "

"Proper housing implementation = more money from me. "

What? How?

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 10:53AM Caerus said

@Ehra

Shockingly, some players consider maintaining a subscription to be more money for the developer, every single month. Produce good and new content = I keep paying you. Stop giving me new and good content for the money I pay you = you get less (zero) money from me.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:03PM NeverDeath said

@MMOaddict

Agreed. I was going to post this, then saw that you did. Lol.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:36PM deluxe2000 said

@Caerus

Thanks for the clarification - that's exactly what I was thinking!

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 4:53PM Ehra said

@Caerus

That's what I was hoping they meant, but I wasn't sure :p

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:43AM Ehra said

I personally wouldn't because I've never been a big fan of housing to begin with, but I don't see what's wrong with payed housing being offered vs, say, any other cosmetic item other games offer.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:48AM Mynsc said

I love housing, but I wouldn't pay money for it. And not because I can't afford it, but because I want to explore, gather, craft and fight INGAME in order to build a house... Isn't that the whole point of playing a game ?

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:55AM gandales said

Subscribers got one of the basic versions for free. I might get the expanded versions or the penthouse once the functionality of the shared bank is released.

Hideouts could have some potential uses besides conveniency, like nemesis invading it :)

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 9:03AM sjet said

Done properly and with at least some functions that benefited the owners, sure. Granted, having an entire astral ship in Allods is like having a home, but it would be nicer to have an entire island for yourself and your guild where you could have special quests that you could do for guild rep, bank, guild vault etc etc.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 9:08AM MetaReal said

I'll definitely pay for housing. I remember a good post at Wolfshead blog about it:
("The Triumph of Personal Virtual Space in Social Games", http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/?p=4980#1593b)

I even want more: meta-housing. I want a web and 3D place where I have the pictures (sceenshots) and video souvenirs i take in game; a place i can also decorate with 3D objects of those game (some could be earn through achievements). I want different level of access to it (from public to friends to private). Developers should encourage those assets export to meta-housing since it's a viral marketing tool too ("how you played and enjoyed this, maybe i should try it too, etc"). I think the two actors which could go there technically are Steam and Blizzard.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 10:55AM Caerus said

@MetaReal

I never played it, but that sounds a lot like what I heard SWG has already.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 9:31AM NeoWolfen said

I would pay for housing conditionally, dependint upon its size, customisability and functionality.

Sadly the hideouts in Champions are very small, offer fairly limited cosmetic changes right now and even those are essentially re-skins not actual true customisation. And finally the hideouts have almost no functionality and what they do hsve is readily available elsewhere without the need for a map transition to use it..making it inconvenient to use what functionality thier is from your hideout.

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM