Posted: Aug 5th 2011 3:17PM potaco said

yus!!! teh swtors is teh filthy i ben waiting four!

It'd be nice to see a new Warzone, though I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of new stuff over the next month or two.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 3:34PM Dril said

@potaco

I was ready to downvote after the first sentence.

I thought that JohnLane, in his unending vigil, had once again peppered the first comment with half-intelligible hogswash.

I was wrong.

Well played, sir, well played.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 3:45PM potaco said

@Dril
Not sure who you're talking about... I'm just glad to hear news about the game ;)

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 3:19PM Arkanaloth said

pity I'm dreadful at PVP, I do the server a favor by staying *out* of PVP zones...

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 3:20PM Rayko said

Waiting for this game to come out reminds of the Dane Cook ( or whoever he stole it from) joke about waiting in line at the DMV: everyone is standing there in line quiet but in their heads they are screaming "GOOOOOO!".

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 4:06PM Unverfied B said

Ok did i miss something, what's that new [?] "yus" meme about?

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 5:05PM Space Cobra said

@Unverfied B

Re: Any post posted by JohnLane.

Look at his posting history via name and marvel at his linguistics! :D

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 4:20PM chum said

@JohnLane

Not your best work. Too coherent.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 4:27PM potaco said

@chum
I totally agree! There's not a single 'teh' in that response... :(

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 5:16PM (Unverified) said

PVP BG's ruin world PVP, if they would give all the insentives and gear and rewards for pvp in the game world and not BG's then there would be a great reason to play on a PVP server as it is now there is no reason other than to gank a lowbie to be on a PVP server seeing as how there is little to no difference between pve and pvp at that point.
SWTOR has an epic story of 2 factions at the brink of war, not at the bring of flag carrying, or conquest points......sorry but world pvp with points to be captured and flipped for different vendors and bonus quests is the way to go, not Q up and wait for the pop screen then go defend the flag ect..

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 6:36PM eyeball2452 said

@(Unverified)

I agree with your premise, but I'd expand it to include all MMO PvP. As soon as you reward people with stat enhancing the gear, the emphasis goes from the actual PvP to leveling up your character instead. That's not a bad PvE design, but it's an awful design for any sort of competitive piece of gameplay.

As for world objectives, that doesn't work either when you only have two factions due to imbalances. I've yet to see a two faction system work in any sort of MMO PvP environment. I get that developers want a premise for people to battle, but they really need to either do a 3-4 faction system (worked in RTSs) or just implement PvP encounters as FFA and let the players figure out the teams.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 9:37PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

i get what you're saying but they are taking great care to integrate the BG objectives into the greater storyline being played out. there will be no running with flags and i've seen them state that outright in interview as an example of what they aren't going to do..

the one BG already known about involves (if i remember correctly) assaulting the site of a deactivated planetary defence weapon on the planet in order to secure it and having to activate 3 relays, power couplings, targeting computers whatever and fire it 3 times at the enemy's command ship in orbit, blowing it out the sky (cue cinematic) up and thus securing the planet for your side.

in other words it has a pretty sensible narrative and structure given the nature of the game.

as for "world PvP" you'll get that too.

Anyway i'd suggest when the time comes at least giving it a shot if MMO PvP is your thing. Some of WoWs famous e-sports PvP pros have raved about SW:TORs PvP after getting hands on time with it as have many with others with...slightly lesser PvP credentials ? (not sure how to say it without a bit fanboiish :P)

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 9:47AM deluxe2000 said

@(Unverified)
I have read those same reviews about SWTORs PvP, and so far, its the only thing I find in the game worth trying it out for. But the OP is right - 'grinding BG's for gear' is a terrible design decision that somehow has become this defacto content of recent MMOs. BGs are great as you are leveling up, both as a way of leveling and gearing up, but at max level BGs shouldn't be a route to greater gear. Thats where well designed and integrated (into the lore/story) world PvP should take over, with rewards other then gear.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:19AM JohnLanes Mom said

@JohnLane If you don't stay off my Tandy I'm calling your Father. And for the last time, I'm NOT buying this game for you until you get C's in English. Now...to your room.