Posted: Aug 5th 2011 9:27AM Carolina said

That sounds like a lot of fun. I really hope SOE uses this system in future games, specially in EQ Next. Would be a blast to be able to build all such things in a more medieval fantasy setting.

In EQ2 people improvise in the instanced housing, making it into a public place and setting entrance to everyone. So that also goes into the fact that I hope they are planning on a storytelling mode in EQ Next.

Last time I played around with a game that had the storytelling mode was in "Vampire the Masquerade".

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 10:25AM pbwilliams said

You lost me at "funnily"

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:10PM (Unverified) said

@pbwilliams LOL same!

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 10:44AM Yukon Sam said

Star Trek Online and City of Heroes have similar features allowing players to craft their own missions.

It'd be awesome if SOE found a way to recycle the great SWG sandbox systems into a new title that's unconstrained by licensing requirements. Sadly, I have my doubts that it's going to happen. At this point, I'm looking at some of the scrappy indies for an alternative to the level/class themepark template.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 10:59AM Jef Reahard said

@Yukon Sam

Yeah, we'll be profiling the STO and CoH systems quite a bit over the life of this column. They're quite different than SWG's Storyteller though, because it's not a mission creator (basically just set dressing).

SWG does have a mission creator (Chronicles), which we'll also be looking at fairly soon.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 11:16AM Popplewell said

Looking forward to your articles on Tabula Rasa and The Matrix Online.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 11:24AM Jef Reahard said

@Popplewell

As I am looking forward to more of your insightful commentary, lol.

Tbh, if MxO and TR were playable for another four months, they probably would get a mention in this column (particularly MxO).

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 12:16PM Ryukan said

@Popplewell

LMAO!

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:11PM (Unverified) said

@Popplewell Made me lawl hard.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:59AM Tristik said

Love those tools!

Had a nice guild event night where one of our members created a super large layout with tons of troops and things to destroy. It wasn't even an RP event; just a reason for guildies to get together and smash stuff. It was great! :) And it was all ours!

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 11:46AM Sente said

Is it possible to set some movement paths and/or simple dialogue for the NPCs? Would be great to add some atmosphere.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 8:52PM Jef Reahard said

@Sente

Yes on the movement paths and unfortunately no on the dialogue. That's the one thing the system always lacked imo.

Posted: Aug 7th 2011 1:30AM DarthDan said

"Yeah, the system really is that cool, and no, I don't have the foggiest idea why no one else in the MMO industry can code something like this."

I will join you in the dramatic headscratch there, sir. It will certainly be sad to see this one-of-a-kind feature (among many of SWG's other unique aspects) become the sacrificial lamb to usher in TOR.

Posted: Aug 12th 2011 12:14PM BasmatiJoh said

Why this system isn't implemented is beyond me... the way I look at it, it would save the dev lots of time to give the game an engine for story telling rather than insist on creating a cookie-cutter story for every player to go through. Age of Conan being a great example of giving you the 'You're the one' plot line to each an every player.

It's great for the players too, and hosts a vast amount of staying power to subscribers, since content is being made as fast as the community can turn it out, not based on the lengthy creation process the publisher needs to go through.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I completely agree! Great read again! :)