Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:34AM Budukahn said

You ask this every few months to a year, and every time I tell you Shadowrun.

But what really needs to be made into an MMO is Paranoia. Anyone who says otherwise is a commie loving algae sucking mutant traitor.

The Computer is your friend!

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:28AM nomoredroids said

@Budukahn

Your friend, The Computer, agrees with this Citizen.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 9:41PM mmogaddict said

Failure to agree is treason.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 4:58PM NathanAllen said

@mmogaddict

But agreeing that failing to agree might be treason may be treason as well. Best to agree and not agree at the same time to cover all bases.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:35AM (Unverified) said

Rifts. For the love of God, RIFTS!

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:38AM Infurn said

Munchkin Online.

Just don't pick up the Duck of Doom.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:38AM Furdinand said

I think right now, the holy grail would be what Fantasy Grounds is working towards, a virtual space for player to create RPG encounters for other players. Ideally, third party designers would be able to have a cash shop for there games/figures/maps/adventures.

In the mean time:

As many have pointed out, Shadowrun would be a great setting. There were some early Shadowrun console games that showed a lot of potential for what a Shadowrun game could be.

Rifts could be a great sandbox game. If it had strong enough Role playing elements is would be a good test lab to throw out the idea of class balance or even the trinity. If a Rogue Scholar class had compelling scholarly things to do in game, their might be an audience that wouldn't care that they did less dps than a Glitterboy. Unfortunately, I don't see Kevin Siembieda getting out of his own way long enough for a Rifts MMO to get made.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:39AM (Unverified) said

I am going old school and say Gamma World, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_World ). It was a post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting that was a lot of fun for me and my friends!

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:17AM PanamaAlex said

@(Unverified) There is something involving Gamma World being launched later this year.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:47AM Krayzjoel said

RIfts, Star Frontiers, and Gamma World!

They are already doing World of Darkness with old world Vampire the Masquerade so Im happy about that.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:54AM Sean D said

System-wise, Rolemaster would transfer to an MMO fairly well.

Setting-wise, I'd love to see an MMO based on Ars Magica, a pre-Vampire the Masquerade RPG (same creator - Mark Rein-Hagen) that takes place during the Dark Ages. The MMO would have to include the rules for the magic system, which, if you aren't aware, is THE best magic system ever created for any RPG. Mage: The Ascension's magic system is a close second.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:21AM Quarlo said

Tho technically we have Dungeons and Dragons Online, I just couldnt get into the game (Cyborgs? Really?)

I've been playing DnD since '83 (whoops dating myself there) and I would love to see an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons MMO. I still wax nastalgic over the worlds of Krynn, Greyhawk and The Forgotten Realms (even Ravenloft).

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 1:43PM NeoWolfen said

@Quarlo

They aren't Cyborgs those are Wargoed, magically produced constructs like golems but with sentience.

a Cyborg is man and machine, waroged have no machine and nothing organic..

they were originally produced for the Eberron setting of D&D but since 4th edition have become generally availabel in any setting.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:24AM real65rcncom said

Warhammer Onl... doh.. wait.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:25AM nomoredroids said

@real65rcncom

I wish, too.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:39AM jondifool said

3 comes to my mind.
WARHAMMER done right ! in a gritty dark world (call of chtulluh- permadeath)

Birthright ad&d ( if ever there was a rule set and a world screaming for being applied to a MMO this is it)

A Game of thrones ! ( it is also a roleplaying game - )

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:50AM Haldurson said

I've always wanted to see a Paranoia rpg, but I have no idea how it could be handled in an MMO setting. And without players trying to get their fellow party members killed, it just wouldn't be Paranoia. That said, I do think there is room for a satirical science fiction game, at least in the setting of Paranoia, it just wouldn't be Paranoia...

As for something more doable, and I'm going to be extremely obscure here, some of my favorite rpgs because of how different they were, are "Bunnies and Burrows, "Ringworld", and "Chivalry and Sorcery". The last one was pretty much unrunnable as a paper and pencil game due to it's complex systems,, which is the perfect reason to do it as a CRPG instead. Bunnies and Burrows, I just think would be hilarious (think of a Watership Down rpg), and Ringworld just makes my mouth drool, having been a huge Larry Niven fan.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 12:51PM Paradigm68 said

@Haldurson The big problem I think wouldn't be players trying to kill each other, it would be having the game replicate true vicious, tongue-in-cheek, antagonistic attitude of a live GM with a sense of humor that wants to kill you all.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 9:30PM Haldurson said

@Paradigm68
True, but there is also the fact that players DO often have motives to sabotage missions, work against one another, and occasionally get each other killed. Generally speaking, under some circumstances, direct violence is a viable option, which means that the moderator (human or otherwise) often has to determine based frequently on player's double-talk, creativity, lying, pleading, and even the occasional tidbit of truth, how npcs (including "the Computer") will react. Yes, there is combat just like in any other rpg -- but the nuances of WHY, and how others will respond, requires not just intelligence, not just a sadistic streak, but also a sense of humor. And half the fun can be being able to convince others to do ones dirty work.

I still don't think it's possible to do a real Paranoia MMO. But as I said, I'd settle for a Paranoia-like setting. I think a humorous futuristic dystopia could make a great setting for an MMO.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 12:00PM SkyStreak said