Posted: Aug 4th 2011 4:30PM mysecretid said

Interesting look at how to structure a fleet (guild) for efficiency and ease-of-use for all concerned.

I'm not usually one to join guilds (I like being able to follow my whims while gaming without having to commit to group activities), but I did found a guild of friends in City of Heroes which was successful.

As Stonewall's Fleet Admiral says, if you create a guild to be "the boss of people", your guild won't typically last. You're there to facilitate -- to make things easier on all your guild mates. It really is about serving the guild's needs.

Nice work, Brandon,

Cheers,

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 4:40PM ApathyCurve said

"While it may be hard to give up the reigns..."

Reins. (Sorry, that was bugging me.) =oP

I see the STO-hating trolls are already snuffling and wandering up to their grimy keyboards. Begone, foul beasts! Back under your bridges with you, I say!

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 5:20PM Kark said

• Half a heart
TOR launches STO goes F2P a few weeks later, and then a few weeks later when the servers are empty theu close the servers down and the devs are looking for new jobs. Then after a few more weeks CBS gives the STAR TREK IP too Blizzard so they can make the next ST MMO. And because TOR is the biggest success ever CBS says it must launch with all the awesome stuff TOR had, fully VO with uniqe storylines with lots of content and very few bugs. + awesome PvP and raids with great content updates every 3 month= Something Cryptic knows nothing about .

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 8:24PM MarvoDaMighty said

This is a Good Article on HOW NOT to run a Guild. The object of most MMO is "Gaming" A Sancturay away from teh stress of 9-5 , Not everyone is into the Roleplaying aspect. I was a memeber of a Fleet /Guild that was heavy into RP and it made the game annoying having to type E/ Salute when I saw more senior members, or give up juicy drops to Command Officers. I found myself starting to Wander around STO looking for a new Home.

On the other End I was in a fleet that was not big into PVP but the "Leaders" were very much about control and handling people, they seemed to forget in both those fleets that this is supposed to be FUN.

If I wanted the military I would lose 200 pounds and Re-Up , If I wanted Discipline by socially backwards I would not look @ an MMO for it.

Point is STO is a Game , Have fun however you want. Make your fleet how you wish, and be aware of the PEOPLE in it. The fleet I am in Now, is full of some amazing people and I have loads of Fun. We play we argue, we discuss, but mostly we are really weird on Ventrilo. Feels like home, especially since no one takes them selves to seriously. My Three Cents, See you in space.

-Marvo-

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 12:58AM Space Cobra said

@MarvoDaMighty

I agree with you, but there are all types of players in all types of games; sometimes you "click" with them, sometimes not.

I remember during Alpha there was quite the vocal contingent of players that demanded "no clown suits" or the ability to make a crazy uniform with colors so tacky, it would hurt most people's eyes. I also remember, among those folks, a particular segment wanted to have EVERYONE wear EXACTLY the same uniform since, they argued, Starfleet was a military organization (it has that component, but Starfleet is MORE than just military). They even proposed a "switch" that would allow the player to see every other player in the same uniform (it would be a client-side illusion).

IMO, such ideas are an anathema to the tenets of Star Trek and acceptance of all people/ideas. One needs to be flexible and, let's face it, like you stated this is just a video game people unwind in.

That's just an example to add to yours (since you reminded me) and again, this is not confined to just STO, but other games, too. I like RP as much as the next guy, but I am not going to be elitist in it and one has to be flexible. IMO, some players lose sight of this an allow their vision to overcome common courtesy. Really, while I disagree with them, they can find that "fun" and if they find others to share their version, more power to them, just don't impose a draconian nature on others.

Really, IMO, the best players are those who are flexible and friendly and who can switch OOC/IC fairly easily and take into account others sometimes do when not much is happening.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:41PM BluegrassGeek said

@MarvoDaMighty

I'm sure this guild format doesn't work for you, but it's a bit lopsided to say NO guild should run like Stonewall. Yes, the game is fun, but fun is different for everyone.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 10:59PM zeked2000 said

Normally I find your articles to be insightful and unbiased; however, this particular article has me questioning your journalistic integrity. I can understand that you would want to support your fleet, and promote its vision; however, this article is about starting and maintaining a fleet, which would necessarily require that you research and interview other fleets in order to get a wider perspective to inform your audience of the differences between running a large fleet, small fleet, or an RP-only fleet, etc)

As a journalist it is your duty, no...your obligation, to ensure that your articles are informed, unbiased, and presented in such a way that the information your are presenting to your audience includes a number of perspectives and sources - unless of course your audience is only members of the Stonewall Fleet, which in that case my argument is null and void.

I suppose you can take this as it is, but if you plan on continuing your career in journalism I would hope that your articles would be more professional and less biased than this one. I mean, your article is no better than if it were talking about the job performance of the President of the United States of America, but only using democrats as sources.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your articles such as you have written in the past.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 11:30PM (Unverified) said

@zeked2000 Thank you for the feedback -- unlike most, it was well thought out, professional and I appreciated it :)

Just a couple reminders if I may, though: I am a columnist, not a news writer (in this particular instance); Columnists are naturally inclined to opine as their job is to present their opinion on the matter at hand. As far as presenting the structure that I did, I did mention that we were going to "explore a possible structuring to your future fleet" and that "the mentioned roles may not fit into every group" and "I hope it at least gives you a basis to go off of." Hope that helps explain more why I did what I did.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback and thanks for taking the time to give it.

-Brandon

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 10:27AM Stimy said

@zeked2000
I couldn't agree more Zeked2000. It's a shameless plug for an in game fleet that he himself is part of, most likely to try and get more members. As you so more eloquently put, it's unprofessional and makes me question everything he writes from now on.

I have had my questions about his earlier pieces being too blind to the problems within the game, that never seems to get fixed (only more gets added for every new patch & season). All Brandon seems to write about is what would make Cryptic happy (maybe so they will invite him to their HQ again?), kind of their personal fan PR consultant.

Sorry if I'm not as well spoken as Zeked2000.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:39PM BluegrassGeek said

@zeked2000 & @Stimy

I guess I just have to disagree. I don't see this as a plug for Stonewall at all, nor biased in any manner. He used the structure Stonewall has as a possible basis; frankly, I found it very interesting.

That said, yes, this structure doesn't work for every fleet. The small fleet I'm in (Lag Industries) wouldn't benefit from such a broad structure, but certain specific elements might be useful.

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 11:35AM Keldaria said

This was a well thought out article, however I do feel compelled to point out like many others, how it seems to lean very heavily on and act like a plug for stonewall fleet. I would have found the article much much more compelling if you had simply left the fleet name out and gotten 1 or 2 more quotes from other Fleet Admirals around the game.

The core of this article itself (all the specific fleet based stuff aside), hits very very close to home for me as I've always thought about writing up a "Guide" on how to help organize a successful Fleet or other organization within an MMO community based upon my 10+ years of experience, starting way back in Everquest and progressing threw dozens of games, and numerous guilds, outfits, clans, fleets, fellowships and any other name you choose to call them.

While its certainly true that there is no 1 correct way to create and run a successful group, I've always found that there are some universal truths about what works and some universal pitfalls many groups fall into and fail because of. A lot also depends on the mindset and passion of the members of the group and the leadership itself, some things will almost always fail unless the right type of people are there and because of this there is almost always an exception to every generalized rule you could come up with on what helps make a successful group.

At any rate, good article however as other replies have suggested I would recommend trying to step back a bit from placing to much emphasis on the name of the fleet you use as an example. I understand your a columnist and by nature are allowed to be more opinionated, but that should extend more towords the fleet structure you recommend and think works the best and not bridge into what could be considered an advertisement for something.

Posted: Aug 7th 2011 12:13AM FirstCavArmyVet said

I have to agree with what many address here. I have run a fleet on STO now for a long time. Of course I won't mention the fleet name here. However, I did want to point out that fleet structures vary greatly on what type of fleet you are running. Now that being said, our fleet is 100% roleplay based, so what point would some of those command positions have? I feel that a fleet is indeed only as good as it's members. Something I learned while in Baghad with the U.S. Army. You may have an excellent, well trained leader. But without the support and input from your troops, your bound to be overwhelmed by the enemy at some point.

If one truly wants to learn the makings of a successful fleet, first you have to find one. Every fleet in STO has it's flaws. It is only human...and behind the screen...that is what we all are. Second, as stated above, ask more than just one Fleet Commander. You will find that the opinion of several fleet commanders may just make a sparking change of writing in your next interview.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM