Posted: Aug 4th 2011 5:43PM Lenn said

I don't think I've ever played a more engaging and moving mission in CO than that second nightmare sequence in issue 4. It was a breeze to do, but it's executed so well and they made it so scary I was really in awe of it.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 5:52PM deadborder said

I gotta say that my experience of Aftershock was pretty much the opposite of yours. The boss fights were incredibly frustrating, the cut scenes tedious, the minigames started at frustrating and ended in "I want to punch the moniotr" bad and the Voice Acting went well beyond CO's usal standard of ham-fisted awful into comedicly bad country. Plus there's that rather nonsense premise - Hey, we have a bunch of troops with post-traumatic stress, so let's send them into a combat zone.

But the worst part for me was the subject matter. Now don't get me wrong, as a long-time fan of the Champions Universe, I know about the Kings of Edom, the Quilopthic realm and the like and understand what they are. The problem is that CO's writers seem to be obsessed with "eldritch horrors from beyond" to the seeming exclusion of all else. Between two of the three adventure packs, huge chunks of Lemuria and Monster island, several dungeons and so on, the game's allready got lots of Chuthulu-punching action.

It's frustrating becuse CO has a surprisng lack of actual, well, supervillains in it. The Champions Universe has plenty of Supervillains and Villian Groups who have not yet been touched, and would mke for excellent subject material for game content. Eurostar, Professor Muerte, Gravitar, The Ultimates, Mechanon, Power Crusher - all far more interesting then another "punch an Elder God" session, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 6:07PM gandales said

I really enjoyed Aftershock, I did look forward for each issue. The story has interesting turns between issues. It is like watching a tv serie.

The minigames were pretty nice, not really difficult compared to other games but enjoyable.

About the cutscenes, I think I read that those are used to hide some of the loading.

I look forward for the final edition(the one with some comic panels) and the next comic series. Hopefully, it will portray some of the villains Deadborder mention.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 9:29PM pcgneurotic said

Yes, DB raises a good point above. There is a relative paucity of regular old cat-stroking, moustache-twirling super villains in the game. I know nothing about the PnP Champs, but upon reflection, you'd almost think the devs had Dr. Strange posters all over their rooms. And he ain't even in the same universe!

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:50PM Arcadian said

Serpent Lantern and Aftershock take place in Africa, supposedly. The notion that The Warlord, the nastiest supervillain in the region and a professional arms dealer, would ignore a super weapon plot in his own backyard not once but twice is absurd.

Aftershock is just an excuse to reuse the Serpent Lantern and Demonflame maps and artwork in order to call it "new content". 90% of it is recycled save for the nightmare/cave sequences in part 4.

I'm not paying for 90% recycled content, thanks. I'll continue to mooch off the game as a silver AT who pays nothing, because that's what I think Cryptic is worth.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:01AM (Unverified) said

@Arcadian

I think a lot of people currently share your outlook. It's such a shame because I always thought CO could be so good if they could just made a few simple changes to the core system, and released regular new single serve content (you know, like a comic book!). As it is now, a lot of people in my supergroup spend their time getting ready for GW2 and TOR, and I can't blame them (I'm just killing time til GW2 now anyhow lol). When TOR hits, I can't imagine many people thinking "Hmmm, do I want my 15 bucks to go to CO, where there's no new content, or TOR where everything is shiny and new". Maybe the hardcore comic fans that don't like star wars will stay, but I think a big part of the problem with CO is it's players- the ones that have stayed for 2+ years are the ones content with CO being mostly a tailoring/alt game. They don't ask for CO to be more than that, so it never becomes more than that. In the long term that cuts out a lot of potential subs.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 3:47AM (Unverified) said

Pretty much agree with this review spot on.

Overall, I'm disappointed that we have to wait until at least November to see another comic, specially since the Comic Series and the ability to make FF characters are the only things really justifying anyone's sub fee. CO is really hurting for new content to provide those players that don't want to reroll alts with something new to do (I'd say PvP was an option but the queues are terrible and the matching system regularly pairs 1v2, 1v3, 2v4 matches... and this last week I was actually put in a solo bash instance, away from the other players). I know a lot of work needs to go into the Comic Series, but it feels like a real let down to look on the calendar and see weekly pay-cosmetic additions (which the game is saturated with already) and no new playable content. The people that are already subbed seem content with things like this- I just doubt CO will grow if it keeps this pace up :-(