Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 6:49PM Faction 3 said

@DoctorSmart

It's actually pretty goddamn good. Which suprised the hell outta me. At this current time, theres only 2 races to choose: Humans, and the Mice, but more (such as Frogs, and Turtles) are coming later on. The Class system is where the game really shines, it allows you to level up your character individually from your class, so if you start as a warrior, and make it to level 5, you can then become a Cleric (which unlocks at level 5), your Character will be level 5, but your class (Cleric) will be level 1. The same will go for the rest of the classes.

You will also unlock different classes with a different combination of leveled classes, for example, if you want to be a Blade Dancer, you'd need to have a Bard at level 40 (I think...cant remember) and your character at level 45. And the Bard is unlocked at level 20. The graphics are pretty anime-inspired, but they're easy on the eyes. The spell effects and character detail is pretty good, and the leveling curve is actually easy. Theres 0 grinding, unless you want that new class in a hurry. But they give you plenty of repeatable quests, through Guild Quests, Book-Quests, and so-on, you'll never need to grind at all. I went from level 1 to 34 in 2 weeks, with the level cap at 50 and never had to grind, unless I decided to run a dungeon a few times for a special drop.

The game has a fully functional Auction House & Crafting system, Equipment Dyes and Guild Towns. There are some minor issues, but nothing major, Chat system is a pain in the ass, Auction House is malfunctioning (you need to use the item to search, not the actual search button...), etc. But its nothing gamebreaking.

Pretty much said it all. I really enjoy the game, hopefully you would too. Give it a quick spin, what've you got to lose? Its free.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 9:31PM Pingles said

@Faction 3

I think you may be referring to Eden Eternal (yes, an unfortunate coincidence about the names one after the other. Both had been in development for quite a while).

FWIW Earth Eternal (the relaunch inquired about above) is the subject of Beau's next Saturday First Impressions.

I agree with everything said about Eden Eternal with a warning that at about mid-level you start to get quests asking for 40-50 mobs. While it's fairly easy to chew through that many it DOES get a bit grindy.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 2:25AM Faction 3 said

@Pingles

Ahhhh! Goddamnit...I read his comment wrong, thought he said EDEN Eternal....

Sorry guys! My bad.

Thank you again Pingles, 2nd time so far you've got me with the wrong comment / wrong game thing. You sir, are good. Cheers, mate.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 5:14PM (Unverified) said

I Loved my Ratonga Necro- "Pyzdix". I never looked at him like he was a furry though. Maybe because I never played a Human in all the years I played EQ.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 5:21PM Saker said

"they understand only a few key words like walk, supper, potty, walk, lay down, walk, and walk"
you forgot "treat"! My dog knows that word absolutely!

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 5:43PM (Unverified) said

@Saker

"Treat" for sure. My deceased English Bulldog loved that word, and his favorite was "Beer".

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 6:49PM (Unverified) said

Furries usually creep me out. It's probably from my years reading Something Awful or traumatic experiences accidently wandering into conversations that were better left to tells. Or maybe even horror stories told by members of other forums. Those all play a part. If people want to play things like Zumi, Ratonga and Char that's cool, I like to think most of those people aren't creepy furries, but just people who want something different than your standard human or elf or whatever.

Anyway, not all furries are... too awful. If they want to dress up/play animals to get off that's... well, it's not cool because of the whole bestiality thing, but as long as they aren't bugging me, harassing people or doing their thing in heavily populated areas I could care less. People are weird. Just the way it is.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 6:55PM Yukon Sam said

I don't think I could do the wild thing in a fur suit without a NASA-grade cooling system.

But for those who risk heat exhaustion to get their yiff on, I salute you.

The percentage of furry fandom that engages in that sort of activity is probably about the same as the percent of Trekkers that like to get down in antennae and blue body paint. It's all good sweaty fun.

Of course, you get epic battles between trolls pretending to be furries and trolls pretending to hate furries, but that's because trolls never get any action and hate everybody who does.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 7:02PM Avick said

I read a lot of Brian Jacques when I was in elementary school. Awesome writer for me back then, and I couldn't remember his name until you mentioned it! He also had the best descriptions of food.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 7:44PM (Unverified) said

Vanguard looks good. I really want to try the free trial soon.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 8:38AM Muskie said

Obviously as you might know, I'm a furry. I'm even one on the "third level", as the editor so eloquently put it.
But here's the thing. Most furries only actually act that way amongst friends. Yes, there's the odd d-bag out there. Trust me, we regularly fracking DISOWN people who are creeps in public, or who, thanks to their "wanting to get the real story" out, ruin our reputaion even further. (The furry who went on Tyra Banks, for example. She was banned from pretty much every major furry community on the internet for that prime piece of stupid)

Yes, there are fetish groups. Yes, there are some that dress up, and a subsection of THAT group that does the nasty too. But even then the majority of us keep to our own social groups. It's just that the inclusion factor of the fandom leads some to believe otherwise, and that it is appropriate to show off your self insert erotic larry niven K'zin fanfic by posting it on reddit. These people are NOT the majority, and we are as apalled as you are at the behaviour of some of these people.

However, that's beside the point. Te point is furry races in MMOs.

Order Of The Claws is the largest Furry Guild in World Of Warcraft, stationed on Bloodhoof_US. As we're a horde Guild (obviously), when Cata was announced, the guild almost split in two due to the fact that Worgen were alliance. True story. Thankfully now we manage a splinter guild, Legion of the Claws, on alliance on the same server. That's the powe of a new "furry" race. And what with the whole Mists of Pandaria thing, a lot of us are scared it might happen again, if they become playable! XD

To get to a point, we're all players of the game, like you or me. We just have a bit more fun pretending we're big burly bulls or dapper werewolves in top hats than most. If you ever see one of us, say hi! (And be nice! We are too!)

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 9:16AM Beau Hindman said

@Muskie I appreciate the comment. I think this is why I didn't say "all furries are level three perverts" or something outrageous like that, simply because it is not true. The fact is I wanted to sort of skip past that part of it (as uncommon or common as it may be)and get right the examining why we humans are attracted to animals or animal characters so much.

Thanks for the honesty!

Beau

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 12:51PM Djinn said

Every single group in the world has outliers that the group would prefer didn't identify with them. Everyone likes to point fingers at other people but I guarantee that every group you associate with also has them.

So keep an eye on your own glass walls... :)

As for playing anthropomorphic races - I don't consider it any different than playing any other race. Its all make-believe after all.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 2:18PM Bhagpuss said

I'd been playing animal characters in MMOs for some while before I ever heard the term "furry" and it was even longer before I found out some of the more controversial implications of the term.

To me it's just a given that when playing a role-playing game you'd want to try out a lot of different roles. There are few types of character that I just don't get on with (elves and pixies being two races I struggle to relate to, for example) but in general if a game offers a lot of races I hope to get round to playing all of them. (Earth Eternal with it's couple of dozen animal races would make that more of a challenge than I could meet, though).

I remember before EQ2 launched how much anti-ratonga feeling there was, but it disappeared almost immediately when the game launched because ratongas are just so well realised. I would never have expected to like playing a three foot tall rat, but ratonga is without doubt my favorite EQ2 race. I also like the Eden Eternal mice a lot!

It's at the stage now where I so much prefer playing non-humanoid races in MMOs that I find it pretty hard to get inested in MMOs that son't have them. Rift has been a recent exception, but even there I really hope they add a couple of non-human races in due course. Those fishmen would be great.

Posted: Aug 4th 2011 3:48PM Fabius Bile said

FYIAD

Posted: Aug 5th 2011 6:47PM mattwo said

Instead of going with an article that blantaly states that it has to do with furries, this really should be more about anthropomorphism.

You're talking about how much better it is when they're closer to humans and linked an article about photo-realism. Both of these are issues about anthropomorphism and NOT furry fandom.

Regardless I do like how you define the furry fandom and I'd probably rank in stage 1.25 or something like that.

Posted: Aug 6th 2011 12:50PM drunkenpandaren said

See you at AC next year?

Global Chat: Gamers Secret Santa