Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 6:23PM jmerriex said

I have many great memories of Shadowbane and just as many terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE memories. That said, I would not have traded the time I spent there for the world. The brutal PvP, the political intrigue, the player controlled environment. Oh and did I mention the brutal PvP?

For all my love and hate of Shadowbane, my entire experience can be summed up by my last day in the game. I had spent a year working on 2 things, infiltrating a rival clan's city and creating an epic bow. The week prior to my final day, I finally crafted my perfect bow (with a lot of help from my real clan not the fake one I was infiltrating).

Anyway, the night before that last session I discovered a plot to attack my real clan's city. The worst part was they were planning to grief kill that clan's leader (my brother) to break all his gear prior to the attack. I of course prepared my clan for this and after a long 3 hour battle we sent those n00bs crying back home.

Unfortunately during the melee I was exposed as a spy and expelled from the clan and killed by one of the officers. In Shadowbane, when you die, you respawn at your clan's tree. If, however, you die and are not bound to a tree, you randomly spawn somewhere in the world. I respawned on the other side of the continent. I resigned myself to running back with a lot of gear already damaged from the fight.

As I was running back, avoiding mobs and minding my own business, I encountered 2 other players who were farming some crocs or something. I don't know, I didn't stop to ask, I was just running back to my real clan's city. They however, felt I was trespassing on their land - the clearly unmarked land. I continued my trek back and they began to follow me, ultimately killing me and breaking all my gear... including my bow.

Alas that was the end of Shadowbane for me. I never returned. But I have many found memories.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 9:01PM Loopy said

@jmerriex Fun story :). I wish i was able to experience that in modern MMOs, but unfortunately the focus has shifted.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 2:51AM (Unverified) said

@jmerriex
perfect example why most ffa pvp'ers only THINK they want ffa pvp. you say you loved it but you quit when the system turns against you - like all of them funny pvp guys. sandbox/ffa pvp will NEVER work in a fantasy setting - with people like you ^^

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 12:00PM jmerriex said

@(Unverified) I don't agree that the issue with me leaving had anything to do with FFA PvP. The issue was completely about the penalty. Had that bow not broke and I hadn't lost a year of my left in that instant. I would still have played.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 1:44PM pixledriven said

@jmerriex

I hate too say it, but you were doing something wrong there. It took more than 2 deaths to break an item, and any bow-using profession had tons of travel and evasion abilities. You're leaving out part of the story for sure.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 2:12PM jmerriex said

@pixledriven I did say we had gone through a rather long large scale battle prior to the bow breaking...

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 6:29PM sohcahtoa said

this is THE PVP mmorpg pre-EVE. It had all the political intrigue that eve had to offer. but sadly the game just wasn't polish enough. And it did not have the robust economic system that EVE had.

I remember a time when my guild besieged another guild's city, and giving them an ultimatum of paying up or have their beloved city destory. The guildmaster scrambled everyone in the guild and scrapped together all the funds they could and was short a very very small amount, my badass officer took the gold and said nope, not enough. And soon after the city fell and crushed under our heels :) good times

And the class/race system was sick IMO. Multiclass, and racial abilities that actually mattered. And gave people very inventive way of building a class

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 10:52PM theBeast said

@sohcahtoa It was only "pre-eve" by 2 months. lol

Technically you're right, it is "pre-eve", but you make it sound like it was the model that eve emulated.

Also, you talk about Eve in the past tense. The game is still going strong with all the features you said it "had".

Shadowbane: Mar2003- Jul2009
EvE: May2003-Present

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 6:43PM Fabius Bile said

• Half a heart
to me this wasnt even a fair contest...DAOC all the way.

I remember playing SB in 2006 and saying "wtf are this graphics? really? lol"...IN 2006!!!

I cant even picture myself playing it right now...

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 2:53AM (Unverified) said

@Fabius Bile
wait, you laughed on the gfx while playing DAOC? lol
even sb looked better than Daoc ^^

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 7:33AM Fabius Bile said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)
its obvious from your comment that you played neither...good thing that you failing is veiled by the (unverified) tag...

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 7:17PM Eric Francis said

One of the best parts about Shadowbane to me was how different levels of creatures were spread all over the map. It must have been tons of fun in the beginning to just go out with friends and explore.

This is what instantly bored me from a game like Fallen earth. I stayed "on the rails" for the first few villages, but then got bored and started to explore. Only to find out that the only thing waiting for me at the end of my exploration was a 30min walk back to the low end zones. At that point i logged off and never logged back in.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 7:23PM pixledriven said

@Eric Francis

There was actually TONS of really really really cool stuff to find. Just... Bring a friend... Or 5.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 7:21PM pixledriven said

Shadowbane made choice and actions matter. If you pissed off the wrong people, they might just come knocking at your door. And you couldn't hide in a 'safe-zone' and talk smack either.

It was glorious!

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 7:56PM Graill440 said

Nice article, a couple missed points though.

Shadowbanes studio folded in 2006, shortly after that the game went free to play with advertisements to try and bring in revenue, it didnt work out, if they opted for the F2P that all MMO's use today they may have faired better, of course shadowbane was probably the closest thing to real F2P there was.

Anarchy online, went free to play in the original areas ONLY in 2006 and part of 2007, with heavy advertising ingame. The new areas were pay to open up or have a subscription, and these still had advertisements, much to the anger of the subs.

Once the news Anarchy online went free to play they had a short spike that dropped off just as fast, the first year claiming 1 mill in revenue due to advertising only, this cannot be independently confirmed because revenue from advertising is not explained. During 2007 they did not approach the same revenue spike even when a microtransaction store was implemented, the euro offset during this time was a point of interest.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 7:59AM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

I'm not sure speculation and just a tad bit more in-depth detail on the level of f2p makes the article have missed points.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 7:57PM Enkiel said

the only memory i have from that game was the rubberbanding for hours after release,and the fact that rogue were really rogue.

nothing like stealing from people other than npc.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 8:34PM Wysperra said

I have very fond memories of Shadowbane.

Player owned, designed, and controlled cities really gave the game life.
I'm a WoW nerd now so I don't know if other games give the same level of customization with player own properties in addition to unrestricted PvP. Kids nowadays have no clue what they missed.

I had SO much fun running around with my guildies as a Centaur Huntress and as an Irekei Sun Dancer. Free Corps had the oldest tree on their server before it shut down.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 10:35PM nathael said

Shadowbane was an awesome game if you had good friends to play with.
My fondest memory was sneaking into another clan's city and backstabbing the clan leader right in front of his own tree. Close your gates quickly.

My funniest memory was negotiating with a guy who wanted me to stop killing him while he was farming. I convinced him to log in to my vent server to talk, and actually convinced him to have his girlfriend say something on mic in exchange for his safety.
Wow I was a jerk.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 10:38PM (Unverified) said

This was the very best GvG game ever offered. Period. Nothing else came close, and I'm convinced the biggest downfall to the game were the performance issues. Because the devs were indie, and used a custom engine coded from scratch, the game had many bugs and lag issues.

Aside from that, I have yet to see a game that accomplished what this game has accomplished in terms of pure GvG content.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge