Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:41AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
trust me do not waste your harddrive space nor the time invested in STO its a boring spacebar spamming bore with little to no variety outside of the 3 types of missions, ground combat still blows and pvp is a ghost town.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 4:31PM Wensbane said

@(Unverified)

Actually, I've recently re-subbed to STO - having left shortly after release - and I have to say that the game is a lot better now.

In places where I used to have 20 to 30 FPS, I now have 60+ (V-Sync off). No stuttering whatsoever.
Also, I don't know what changes they've made to the engine, but I could swear that the game not only appears smoother, but also looks considerably better.

The space combat controls have also improved (less spamming) and the new "Shooter mode" for ground combat is nothing short of brilliant - it reminds me a of Tabula Rasa, in a very good way.

Without even going into the intricacies of the Foundry design tool - which is something that, in my humble opinion, all MMOs should have - I would say that the game is, at least, a 7/10 now. I would have given it a 4/10 at release, to be honest.

It's the typical MMO cycle, really. First year = not worth the hassle.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 7:33PM Protoavis said

• 1 heart
@Wensbane

Less spamming in space combat whaaaaaaaaaaaat? People still pretty much just have everything macro'd to 3 or 4 keys and just keep whacking them over.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 8:41PM Wensbane said

@Protoavis

In case you didn't know, STO didn't launch with the auto-fire function. I believe that was only added in Season One, Update One.

So you had to constantly press your space bar during fights. That, in my book, qualifies as spam (the kind that literally breaks keyboards).

People macroing skills is a different issue entirely. I used to merge skills all the time in WoW, Rift, plus a bunch of other "rotation-based" MMOs.
But that's a matter of personal preference, I could just as easily press 8 different keys, instead of 4, if I wanted to.

So yeah, in conclusion, STO is definitely much better in that department.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 5:44AM Kroktar said

@Wensbane Thanks, i have already tried this and worked fine.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:45AM mmogaddict said

Anyone want to start a betting pool about exactly what date this game goes FTP?

I'm betting November 15th

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:46AM Super Nerd said

Just checked out the game again. Subbed a few times on and off for a while.

It's gotten significantly better, but the problem still remains that there's really just nothing to do. I can't bring myself to level anymore because I run out of "Story" Missions for my level after 1-2 of them, left to grind out the rest of the level on copy-paste missions I've done 1000 times.

A much better game than it was at launch, but still far from anything great in my opinion.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:47AM Kroktar said

More late plz? lol 0 keys left.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 10:08PM Jef Reahard said

@Kroktar

Try a proxy. Some folks in the thread I linked reported 0 keys because it was apparently region-locked in some portions of the world. As of 10p eastern on August 2nd (i.e., as I'm typing this) there are over 1800 keys left.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:54AM Yellowdancer said

Odd thought...Cryptic made better space combat than Bioware...But not better than SWG for the record

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:57AM Tizmah said

• Half a heart
@Yellowdancer Really? Because looking at Bioware's space combat looks way more exciting than EVE or STO. But I'm an action fan, I don't care for slowly moving around and repositioning shields.

Give me Star Fox any day.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 11:57AM Infestimus said

Why do my favourite IPs seem to only be picked up by terrible companies? :(

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 12:27PM Rhazes said

@Infestimus

Because the owners of those IP's settle for who can make the game the cheapest and fastest thinking that the Name itself is good enough. Its the same thing in the movies with Uwe Boll.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 2:42PM (Unverified) said

@Infestimus In a related note I just about cried when I saw The Last Airbender movie. Good Ips ruined by botched money grab jobs!

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 12:15PM (Unverified) said

Its Free, it gives you 60 days, a tribble and the Enterprise Bundle.
For those that haven't tried the game, its really nice.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 12:20PM Popplewell said

Second prize is two 60 day codes?

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 12:25PM Rhazes said

60 days of play time. I bought the game for $2.75 on Amazon and beat the whole game and most of the achievements in 2 weeks of playing casually.

I love Star Trek but Cryptic games suck and have no content.

You really, see how bad the game is when you go to Deep Space 9 and play the mission. Attack one Klingon and 20 of them start shooting at you. They jump back and forth from the top floor and the ones that are under the walk way when they try to jump back up glide along the bottom of the walk way. Seriously, flying Klingon's which all have the ability to jump 30 feet in the air and they do it over and over.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 12:36PM Fabius Bile said

it isnt such a bad game, actually is pretty decent right now

story missions are quite nice, the lore is captivating, the space combat is like EvE's minus the utter boredom, the ground combat...well, it got better with the shooter mode....

the problem is that the repetition and shallowness becomes a LOT more apparent in STO's filler missions than in any other MMORPG.

that said, I still find funny that people who cry about repeating the same 3 missions in STO do "FedEx this item", "Kill ten rats" and "Gather 10 shinies" over and over and over again in every and each MMORPG out there without the smallest trace of complain ...

its a fairly decent game now, definetly well above many of the current MMORPG crop, and a breath of fresh air...

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 10:19AM Typhron said

@Fabius Bile

"its a fairly decent game now, definetly well above many of the current MMORPG crop, and a breath of fresh air.."

For once we agree.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 1:41PM Fabius Bile said

@Typhron

dont worry, I wont hold it against you