Posted: Jul 28th 2011 12:17AM Vazzaroth said

Just today I was thinking about how I could write a whole article about little issues with free to play games that make me avoid them. Specifically:

1) Having to go to a website to launch a game grates on my nerves, especially because I hook up all my games through steam so my friends know when I'm online and can join.

2) The second I see that default Times New Roman-like font that asian F2P games like to use (Along with cookie cutter websites), I close the window and lose %100 interest in the game. If they can't make their font anything less than eye bleeding, their game has no chance.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 12:23AM Vazzaroth said

@Vazzaroth

Also, I rage quite Age of Conan after 5 mins when I realized I can't use my assign inventory and map to my mouse buttons like I have in every other MMO I've ever played.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 7:22AM Ghostspeaker said

@Vazzaroth

I don't know too many companies that force you to sign on through the website other than Nexon, though I agree. It bugs the crap out of me too. One of the things I love about DFO compared to other Nexon games is there's a third party program that lets you log on without the website (and do a few other things too). I hope to god someone makes one for Dragon Nest soon. :/

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 3:20AM ChongShin said

All MMOs are pretty much the same, but some have interesting ideas.

Aika: The pran was a really cool mechanic. I enjoyed the idea of helping my pran grow with a personality, but it took forever and a day to talk to you. Seemed to me like they wasted a good idea. Also, they never did anything practical about the bots.

WoW: Generally mediocre game play so I focused on my character. I actually unsubscribed when I ran out of interesting clothes for my character.

Tabula Rasa: The disconnect that was created from the 3rd person shooter design that actually used dice rolls or some similar mechanic to determine hits. Lots of other little issues, too, of course.

Aion: Their pre-release advertisements (that were created using the game's engine) showed freedom of flight and incredible aerial battles. The real game had an extremely limited flight mechanic and haphazard aerial combat. You had wings, but you could only use them to jump down a hill (aka very short duration levitate) or to take screen shots. Yes, I got to the abyss, but the game had killed my interest by then. Plus, they ignored the bot and spammer problem for months (from beta into release), allowing it to grow like some sort of fungus through the game. Lastly, the grind, which they swore to high heave didn't exist - another pre-release lie.

AoC: The jarring difference between Tortage and the rest of the game. Plastic looking characters. Female attack speed versus male attack speed that gimped the female characters. Yes that was a bug, but it was the final nail in the coffin for AoC, for me.

Cities of X: Fantastic idea that was killed by the huge reliance on repetitive instancing. Super slow flight abilities at lower levels (you could run faster! hah!)

D&D: Not really Dungeons & Dragons. They abandoned the core game to make it more like their own idea of a MMO, rather than designing the MMO around D&D. Lazy cash grab.

EQ2: A world & characters made of plastic, plus it wasn't really EQ to begin with.

Final Fantasy XI: A grind which made old EQ look casual.

Guild Wars: Invisible walls, and the inability to traverse the terrain in general.

Vanguard: Animal headed characters with human bodies. Dem knees.. O_o MMOs seriously need to stop this.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 4:41PM Ardra Diva said

@ChongShin
I would love to know who created the ugliest avatars ever seen in an MMO, and smack them, yes.

This is one of those "how did that get past marketing??" moments.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 4:41PM Ardra Diva said

@Ardra Diva
Vanguard avatars - worst ever seen

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 5:55PM mysecretid said

@Ardra Diva

Very bad, yes. I'd forgotten that I'd played and quit Vanguard. The game seemed interesting, but the graphics were awful. I think I lasted an hour?

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 10:04AM (Unverified) said

The Lord of the Rings Online animations are atrocious. As soon as activated my hunter's beginner abilities, I uninstalled.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 4:36PM Ardra Diva said

Character models are very important to me. Everquest had that huge graphical upgrade for the Luclin expansion pack years ago, but I can't think of another top shelf MMO that's given itself a complete and total facelift, even with the risk of taxing its subscribers' computers.

What bugs the crap out of me is why Second Life can have these amazing avatars, with realistic eyes and hair and character animations, and a few hobbyists are cranking out these glorious photorealistic skins, and they are always improving.

But Top shelf MMOs with hundred million dollar budgets never improve their avatars, heck we can't even get new hair styles 4 years after launch in LOTRO, and games like EQ2 are even worse.

I don't understand why something like Second Life can have such amazing avatars, and all these other big budget games can't even approach that level of realism or quality.

The fact that they are so frequently improved in Second Life by the community just having fun with Photoshop and Poser and products like that, but SOE or Turbine or Blizzard can't do half as well, mystifies me. It bugs me, LOL

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 5:52PM mysecretid said

Anarchy Online was my first real MMORPG, and I loved it, but the game graphics have aged so very badly over the years, I can no longer stand to look at it.

Similarly, I had stopped playing EverQuest II because the default character models in that game are hideously ugly to my eye.

However, Massively's Brianna tipped me to the fact that alt-appearances were available for the game. While the second look is a tad manga-ish (it was originally created for an asian version of EQII, I'm told), it doesn't make my eyes bleed, so I'm good there.

Thanks, Brianna!

Posted: Jul 29th 2011 12:11AM mysecretid said

Forgot to mention this earlier: lack of housing or "personal space".

It's a quirk of mine; I like to feel my character is a part of the game world in some way, and housing is an easy way to do that.

Certain games I'll play without housing; the High Elf PvE overarching storyline, set against the backdrop of a live PvP war, made me feel very connected to that game world.

Yet, there are /so/ many online games I've drifted away from because I felt no connection to the world (Rift, EVE, WoW, Black Prophecy, and on, and on, and on ...)

Posted: Aug 1st 2011 2:53PM LA1111 said

Lineage 2: Why does everyone run around hunched over with a stick up their ass?

LotRO: Personal preference, but I don't like the interface at all. The annoying shouts grate on my nerves too.

Aion: Not enough flying was a turn off. But what really killed it was the extremely linear zones. The world never felt right either. One spot would have snow then suddenly you'd be in a huge desert or a forest. I don't like warping around everywhere. The ridiculous cartoon-looking characters killed immersion.

Eve: I can't deal with the font size. It's just too small to look at for more than 20 minutes.

WoW: Played from launch on and off until two months into Cata. In the end, the community and pop-culture-izing of the game killed it for me.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2011 9:43PM Ravik said

Having classes be locked to certain sexes ruined certain games for me.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2011 7:54AM Ogged said

SWG : beta 3 .. got into it, installed it, crashed three times in ten minutes and never touched that steaming pile of Bantha droppings again :)

Fallen Earth : the "switch between targeting modes with tab" thing turned me off.

Posted: Aug 8th 2011 4:23PM Majicebe said

Even for the price of free, I couldn't even force myself to place "Forsaken World" due to the lack of an invert Y-axis for the mouse. I mean c'mon... This isn't 1988, Y-inverse is a pretty standard need for a lot of gamers.