Posted: Jul 27th 2011 2:05PM DarkWalker said

@dranzerk
If the game features too much non-consensual PvP, I don't even look it's way. Heck, if there's no way to completely opt out of PvP I'm already not likely to even try, due to the existence of plenty other games that allow me to never worry about PvP.
Also, if I find that PvP is actually important to PvE progression for any reason, I'm out.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:40AM j1083 said

Both WoW and it's upcoming Star Wars-skinned clone lost me by giving me a Barbie and then refusing to let me dress it.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:40AM Vorender said

That's funny, because the camera made my wife nauseous as well, so we stopped playing the game. We enjoyed it otherwise.

For me, I guess my game would be EQ2. I loved EVERYTHING about it, except how many damn buttons you had to click on your hotbar during any given fight. We are talking upwards of 20. My clicker finger has never been the same since my 5 months in the game.

Combat can be compelling withing having a million buttons to push. I want to be able to bind a few moves to keys so I can, you know, actually watch what's going on in the fight and not have to stair at an never ending hotbar of redundancy.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:40AM Lucidus said

SWTOR's rail shooter. That one thing makes me hate that game so hard. but if they had made spaceflight like X-Wing, I would be one crazed fanboi.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:41AM Seinaru said

Oh geez I have a reason for every game out there.

LOTRO - Crap UI and scream attacks
GW - Can't stand the feel of it... idk how to explain it but it feels like it's always zoomed out too far. Even when I zoom in
WoW - My expectations for it were too high so I never got into it

etc etc

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:11AM SnarlingWolf said

@Seinaru

I finally tried GW after it had been out for a couple years. Every time I asked people what game I should try that I hadn't, the GW fans showed up and started to say how awesome it was.

10 minutes into playing the game I was just annoyed and aggrivated. The feel of the movement, the UI, everything. The game was just annoying to play. That alone has baffled me as to why it was as popular as it was.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 3:15PM Lenn said

@SnarlingWolf That's because you need more than 10 minutes to find that out. Seriously. I'd give it another go if I were you.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:43AM mikejl said

PvP only. No PvE server(s).

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 2:09PM DarkWalker said

@mikejl
While lack of PvE servers is not a complete deal breaker for me, the competition is large enough that those games never get high enough in my backlog where I might try them.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:45AM (Unverified) said

The whole kill / attack rights thing in Eve just wrecked my head. Having to follow a multi-page guide to get the UI set up just so you can figure out who you can and can't shoot killed it for me.

I remember even after I'd gotten it all done, one of the corps we were fighting ended up showing as blue rather than red on the UI because they were exploiting some arcane glitch of the standing system. It was a complete mess.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:48AM Mendan said

Everytime i read about EVE online (or DUST) i'm so fascinated by the universe and the player driven economy and politics, the fact that everyone is part of one server / world.. but every time this fascination turns into reactivating my account it get bored by mining and ratting just a few hours later. If there would have been a hint on the registration page telling me that mining and ratting turns out to be that boring when not done in null-sec, i would have focused more on pvp and that stuff.. So it's my own choice of "class"/"profession" that somehow ruined that gaming-experience for me.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:51AM dudes said

• 1 heart
Seen it all before.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:55AM Katt said

Pirates of the Burning Sea, the community unfortunately.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 2:27PM Celtar said

@Katt

About how I feel about the Age of Conan community. Just some of the nastiest players I've ever dealt with in the past near twenty years online.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:57AM swarmofcats said

This is a perfect example of "the little things mean a lot" because I find myself nodding my head in agreement as I read the comments.

Weird camera movements, too many buttons, convoluted interfaces, jerky character animations... little things that end up ruining the experience for a lot of players while developers are focused on "big picture" stuff like content patches. There are several games that I would probably have stuck with if the overall feel of the game was tightened up a bit. But I just got tired of the relatively small--but constant--annoyances and end up losing the desire to log in.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:03AM Dril said

LOTRO: Awful combat, crap animations.
WAR: Really buggy combat, extremely poor response times (i.e. pressing a button to attack would give me the actual animation a second later, even though my ms was ~60 the whole time.)
AoC: Community, healer mechanics
EVE: Really boring combat. I loved the game, but after doing a L4 mission in my Hyperion and realising that combat was exactly the same as when I'd started and would be exactly the same for the rest of my EVE career, my interest dwindled overnight.

Hell, I even grew used to EVE's UI. Not in love with it, but I accepted it and the way it worked.

Also: I could go on, but you said in the article games that are otherwise great, so that excludes the rest of the genre.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:04AM nevin said

Elf running animation in LOTRO. So shallow but I just couldn't bear it.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:29AM Ardra Diva said

@nevin
I really like LOTRO and that didn't bother me, but on that same idea, I was really struck by how well done some of the animations still are in Galaxies. In SWG a mountain or hillside is not a barrier, you can climb up it, but if it's steep your character slows to a crawl up that hill, and their gait changes, it really matters what the terrain is like, and it will change the walking animation accordingly.

*kicks pebble with shoe reflecting on the good things in pre-nge SWG....

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:06AM MMOaddict said

The sounds in Aion. The spell cast sounds, and annoying grunts and yells of the character. It is usually sound that annoys me for the "little" things.

Big thing is always how combat feels. By feel I mean ebb and flow and visceral quality. Aion suffers majorly here as well, as do quite a large amount of games out there.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:10AM Faryon said

STO - The line "Ability to auction Emblems for C-Points between players" in their latest engineering report made me unsub instantly. Coupled with the fact that I have been rubberbanding like crazy since Season 4 makes me think this game is a lost cause no matter how good the Foundry tool and the UGC community is.

LOTRO - Something about the combat system rubbed me the wrong way. I can't really put my finger on it without testing it again tho.