Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:16AM KaiserZeppelin said

@Dril

What have I seen? Yes, I've seen the leaked beta footage, but I've also seen what was available at E3 and the game-play trailers released by the developers themselves. I was following the development of the game quite fanatically a while back, but I've stopped doing so.

You're simply going to have to trust me when I say I'm not basing my opinion on some shaky cellphone camera recording that's been uploaded to some unknown video site.

And why wouldn't I be able to judge if a game is for me or not before I've played it? I imagine there's a lot of people out there who can decide if a movie is worth giving a shot or not by watching the trailer - SWTOR is alot bigger than any movie, but I've also done alot more than to just watch the trailer.

It is not the game for me, but if you're having trouble accepting the fact that not everyone might be looking forward to something as much as you do, then I think that says something about you.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:32AM Yellowdancer said

@KaiserZeppelin

I'm sorry. Didn't mean the animations. I meant the characters are more humanoid. We're extra critical of humanoid animations because we think we know how they should look and move.

But I remember one cartoonist saying that our perception of how we look is different from reality. A good cartoonist never draws what we actually look like. Cause we would think it looks weird.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 12:49PM hereafter said

@Yellowdancer

Exactly, it the whole "uncanny valley" thing. There's a lot less leeway for inaccuracies. There's a good section in a book called Understanding Comics that explains the simplified way in which we perceive ourselves and why cartooning taps into that.

I have no problem with TOR's animation overall, but sometimes the body proportions make me do a double take. Overall I think it looks fantastic though and it's been getting better and better with every pass. This game is going to look phenomenal at release I think.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:10AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
To me this is a very simple answer. I have never played WoW, and have no intention of even picking it up or trying it. The reason is that I have seen how it has taken over freinds lives, and how it has been a serious detriment to their real life relationships. I am not ripping on WoW, so fanbois please do not attack me, I am actually complimenting the game design, as it can cause such dedication and allegiance that real life relationships suffer. So I avoid this one out of caution.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:26AM Fireborn2489 said

@(Unverified)

I have to say you aren't alone there. I've played Wow fairly avidly since release and (thankfully) haven't allowed it to affect my social life at all for the past 4 years or so. But I always do warn my friends when they see me playing it to be aware of how easily it becomes addictive.

It seems to be quite well known now anyway, both my housemates at uni play videogames, both know they'd love wow, and both refuse to try it as they know they'll be hooked. It's definitely a fair shout!

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:57AM Oskari said

@(Unverified)

For me, it was partly all the pop-culture references in WoW that drove me away. They were okay at first, but became old quickly.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:14AM ElfLove said

LOTRO...that game messes with my Windows XP in ways that I'm kinda uncomfy with. It's also one of the few games that is extremely unstable with my computers build.

Shame really I'd love to really give it a try.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:53AM ElfLove said

@ElfLove

Oh and also Pando media downloader...I hate that thing! ugh! >_<

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:34AM Scarecrowe said

@ElfLove
Yeah, Pando is awful. When I played LOTRO, I used it for the initial install and then larger patches but always immediately disabled it afterwards.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 2:01PM DarkWalker said

@ElfLove
When trying it in the first place, I almost uninstalled it before even entering the game due to the fact clicking links in the launcher opens them on IE, no matter what your currently default browser is.

Not because of IE by itself. Just that not even looking at the system settings smacked too much of amateur coding for my taste.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:26AM Yellowdancer said

My answer is any game made by Blizzard...

I just cannot get into their games. Nothing I can put a finger on but I just get bored of everything they make very quickly. I try every game with the intent to like it but give up on it in a couple hours.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:26AM alzeer said

aion - forced pvp
swtor - animation not fluid sometime looks like it frame just skipped

while i think aion issue is core gameplay that hard to fix
swtor issue is still up in the air

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:20AM Krayzjoel said

@alzeer

I agree on the AION forced Pvp. What makes matters worse is how oftens rifts occur and the insane way they allow you to customise gear. This lead to Twinks who can 2 shot others (while in teams also) making the game very unfun to play during the week rifting buffs are down. You have little to no chance to fight back. Ive been lucky on couple of occasions.
I enjoy AIon but not the pvp. If it werent for my legion and lvling alts when the buffs are down I'd quit this game long time ago.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:33AM Oskari said

Guild Wars, partly because I couldn't jump over anything in my way. There were other reasons too, but this was the most petty on my part.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:13AM MtthwRddl said

@Oskari I got to admit. I own all 4 games to Guild Wars, have some toons on the games, but can't get myself to login to the game because of lack of jump and the weird movement of the game. That, and the game is so solo-friendly that unless you're in a guild, you'll probably end up playing much of the game by yourself.

Thankfully Guild Wars 2 doesn't have any of the issues I have with GW1.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:33AM Oskari said

@MtthwRddl

I forgot about the odd movement and controls. Those bugged me too.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:34AM Mawgleah said

I can not be called a "serious" gamer even by the most loose definition of the word and Guild Wars was my first foray into MMO's. Before that, I avoided most games because of their linear design - you must complete this before you can move on to that - and it wasn't until my son gave me an obscure game called MYST that I really enjoyed computer games.

So when a friend finally convinced me to try GW, I did so with a lot of trepidation. What grabbed me first was the graphics. While perhaps not on the scale of the MYST series, they were still visually stunning and so all MMO's after were judged by GW's standard.

So there are two of my three reasons for not playing other MMO's - they can't be linear and their graphics have to be at least as good as GW's. The third deal buster is a monthly fee. For someone like me, I would need to feel that I'm getting my money's worth - and considering I have a life outside gaming - I would have difficulty in justifying paying a monthly fee, especially when I enjoy playing GW and would not want to take my time away from that game to devote to another.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:39AM dranzerk said

No PvP that was meaningful to world gameplay.

Every MMO seems to have pvp, but its a after thought. It does not effect the game in any way.
A truly good should make pvp part of pve. Onec again, i turn the focus to how great DAOC did this.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:26AM alinos said

@dranzerk

While i havent played DAoC.

the thing is that not everyone likes PvP. Which can be just as much of a deterent as not having it everywhere.

realistically you need both. But the problem with world affecting PvP is that then a PvE orientated server becomes inherently broken.

Nothing worse than jumping online to play only to find theres an army in the area your questing and just get ganked for the rest of the night

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:57AM dranzerk said

@alinos

Because you are still thinking pve server rules. Need to change that mindset to make a good game. A good pve/pve game would not have it so you can just camp in a area to gank people over and over.

Here is what i mean about daoc being such a great game..
You start out like most MMO, doing quests, killing mobs, etc. But around level 20 the story starts to arc mentioning the other realms (DAOC had 3) and the evil they posed to you. It gave you some quests out in the "frontier" which basicly is the place major pvp/realm vs realm happened.

See the game was based on the understanding that in realm was in trouble, you go defend it because if you did not you lose relics/access to certain dungeons.

Pve people for the most part did this, you could be in the middle of a raid and see "Relic under attack message" and 50 people would sucide on boss just to go defend the realm so relics won't be lost.

relics controled certain advantages to other realms for magic/melee etc. Having them meant it was nice to level, etc.

You basicly had 2 huge zones. pve zone/pvp=realmvsrealm zone. So you was not FORCED to pvp, but the game mechanics made you want to.

Most people are surprised that played daoc that it did not spawn copy-cat type games (some have tried but lacked funding).

The problem with MMO today is this..
1. They separate the two types of gameplay to server types exclusively.
2. No real advantage to pvp..why bother if it does not effect avatar you have in pve?
3. The make arenas, battlefields to "encourage pvp" when it fact it pulls away from it. Making in a niche area that only hardcore people to, and discourages new people who don't already have the best gear (cough wow)
4. No understanding of open world pvp..why make a big open space just to fight? No actual goals for that space, be in minerals, relics, traderoutes or something of that nature that helps pvp/pve.
5. Kind of got this point accross, but to put it in stone. PVP or PVE thats the only think to decide on playing mmo today. No balance between the two.

Lots of other things but i've ranted on enough. .

But a MMO CAN be truly streamlined to favor both crowds.