Posted: Jul 27th 2011 5:41PM Equillian said

Snagged a key... then realized its not an MMO

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:04PM tepster said

@Equillian What is it? Looks like League of Heroes, is that what it is?

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:16PM tepster said

@tepster I mean league of legends

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 7:07PM Equillian said

@tepster

It's an RTS with very VERY light MMO Aspects.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 7:31PM blix2006 said

i put in the code but looking my my page i have nothing new

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:38PM Vestas said

Logged in, never asked for my reg code. After playing the tutorial I don't see what this has to offer over League of Legends other than a serious lack of polish. The graphics are interesting, but the art style is a bit off putting. It just doesn't play as "cleanly" interface wise as existing products. And for a MOBA, elegance in UI and UI responsiveness are must haves. Time will tell if this survives. But I too thought this was going to be a slightly more persistant MOBA, even thought it would be more MMO like based on early marketing materials. Apparently, it's just another MOBA competitor.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 3:15PM Daemodand said

@Vestas Complaining about a lack of polish in a closed beta? *sigh*

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 3:27PM Vestas said

@Daemodand

By "polish" I'm referring to the things unlikely to change before launch. As this is a Aeria Games game, history has proven they don't change much once Beta hits besides game tuning. The engine stays pretty much the same.

There are interesting ideas here under the hood in ways they seem to try to be differentiating themselves (as far as MOBA's go). Giving you only one "titan" ability as they call it (summoner spells in LoL) in and of itself feels like a step back. But then letting you change that during the match is a neat idea.

But how the game presents these ideas, is a giant mess. The tutorial barely covers the gameplay, what makes this MOBA different etc then immeidately throws you into matches with players and you're left to fend for your own devices.

Then.. some of the champions have abilities that do things that don't match your description. For example, a "pounce" ability that never shows you its range and only fires in the direction your toon was facing at the time? It's practically unuseable. This kind of unplayable UI/control scheme is severely unpolished.

As for "closed" beta, anyone seems to be able to get in atm, registration keys are needed. So it's not really "closed". This is more like an "open" beta and free marketing, which will hurt them severely if the game remains this way. I love MOBA's and I /want/ this game to do well but its hard to even see this as derivative when it takes a few steps back in making things obvious to the user.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 10:11AM (Unverified) said

I got a closed Beta invite this morning from them. Does this game have a campaign mode?

Posted: Jul 29th 2011 8:01AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I answered my own question last night when I tried out the game. It has a single "solo" player vs AI mode,but not a campaign mode. This mode is very useful for trying out the different character classes.

This was the first time I have played this type of game so I didn't have the " its a clone to (fill in blank) game" going in. All I can say is that I had fun. Playing against the AI as well as teaming up doing some 5 against 5 action soaked up ~ 5hrs of my night! I am looking forward to playing some more tonight after work :D

Would I buy this game? - Yes I think I would. I will add this to my list of games to buy. I would recommend anyone to try it out.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly