Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:19PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Tried battlestar galactica online, what utter garbage. The game states it is free to play but as all the others unless you spend cash you wont be playing as the population there is outfitted in the best. Had a nice talk with a person that smoked me in combat, and i am good, he simply stated he had bought all his upgrades and maxed all his ship with purchased cubits, like the few people that still play that game, they stated there was no other way to survive, i agreed. After we talked i simply deleted the link, what a waste.

Spend 150.00 bucks on a free to play game? Not likely.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:32PM Oskari said

@Graill440

If you can log into and play the game without forking over your credit card, then yes, it is indeed free to play. But that doesn't mean it's free to master and get all the perks. Those cost extra (either time or money).

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 7:12PM (Unverified) said

@Oskari

Most people are not unfamiliar with what 'free-to-play' actually means.

He's indicating that, despite the 'free' moniker, the game is actually a moneysink as far as value is concerned.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone on a budget enjoys a free-to-play game. Even though I have plenty of money (good job, etc.) I hate being treated like a cash cow.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 7:30PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I budget myself 10-20$ per month across my F2P games (I'm currently playing 2). I've never had any issues enjoying any F2P games on a budget. I like being able to spend as little or as much as I want, when I want, on WHAT I want.

Do F2Ps give paying customers more perks? Of course. We're the ones funding the game and supporting it's upkeep, after all. These games aren't charities; they need to make a profit too, and I don't resent them for it. If a game has a Cash Shop system I feel is unfair, then I just don't play it, period. Not that hard.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 7:38PM Oskari said

@(Unverified)

Totally agree. Of course you can play a F2P game on a budget because you get to control the cash flow to the developer.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:37PM Skyydragonn said

@(Unverified)
Once PvE progression becomes even slightly competative or PvP is more than a distraction those "perks" become "advantages" and take on a whole new meaning and a slew of never-addressed-balance-issues.

Anytime you can buy your way through content in any faashion it is no longer Free-to-play. it becomes pay-to-win. And lets be frank given the choice of getting steamrolled or forking out some dough, people will pony up or quit. Its the ones that pony up as to not get facerolled into oblivion that keeps those games alive. Not these almighty "funding" players. They will only pay and play as long as they can maintain an advantage. AKA new/more powerful items come out (usually at a slightly higher price point) Forcing the new or returning players to once again face the decision "I really want to play this game but i dont want to get facerolled by everyone whos paying...guess i can buy a little CSC(cashshop currency) just to keep up. And the cycle continues over and over...Its really sad that more people can't identify these games quickly enough to get out before they get suckered.

NOTE* I'm not condemning all F2P games, just those that sell in-game advantages that cannot be reasonably earned through gameplay. I'm looking at you Need for speed world, Allods online, Atlantica online and about 50 of you ancient Chinese kung-fu knockoffs....

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 6:53AM ShivanSwordsman said

@Skyydragonn

You forgot War Inc, Alliance of Valiant Arms, Champions Online, and APB Reloaded!

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:21PM Vgk said

Interesting article, from what I understand though if sold separately the Malgus statue alone would cost $60

So your paying
$60 for the game
$60 for the statue
$30 for all the virtual goods in the CE

If that's accurate $30 for all the virtual items coming with the CE doesn't seem like a bad deal, at least that's the way I see it

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:24PM Beau Hindman said

@Vgk Ah, good point!

Beau

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:25PM Faith said

@Vgk Not to mention you also get the 30 days of gameplay of the game. So that adds another $15 value to what you're purchasing.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:30PM Beau Hindman said

@Faith True, but again I'm not saying that paying 150 for SWTOR means that you paid 150 for the virtual items. I'm just using the SWTOR CE as a jumping off point. It simply got me thinking "What would someone like me, who has no interest in the CE, get with 150 bucks?"

And, being that this column is about free-to-play games, cash-shops, etc....

Anyway, I'll definitely buy SWTOR at some point. Me and the wife buy every game. I'll just wait until it's out a bit and see what the reactions are from some of my buds.

Beau

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:42PM paterah said

@Faith It really doesn't. It's not a benefit to pay for a game and get game time. But in today's world you can expect everything I guess.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:50PM BigAndShiny said

@Beau Hindman
The fact that CE players get the best gear is just disgusting imho though. Vanity sure, but the whole point of subs is that everyone starts equal.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:53PM EMH said

@BigAndShiny

Except they don't. All gear in the CE shop is basically a piece of gear that can be found elsewhere in the game that is different cosmetically. It gives the CEs no advantage

@Faith

I'm pretty sure the 30-day game time is included in the Standard Edition as well. ;)

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:34PM Vgk said

@BigAndShiny The CE players can guy armor/gear for credits which are cosmetically different from other pieces, it's 100% cosmetic
If you have lightsaber of i-win which gives +10 stamina
you can buy lightsaber of pewpew which gives +10 stamina but has a different color/effect than the lightsaber of i-win

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:23PM Faith said

But this argument doesn't really work for a physical CE of a game, because most CE's offer physical items the buyer is paying for. In SWTOR's case you're getting the statue which is the bulk of the price (I read some people claiming that company charges $50-$80 for equal statues, but that's not confirmed by me), you get the soundtrack, you get the Jedi Master's journal, and you get the numbered limited collector box.

If you didn't want these physical items, you could have just ordered the Digital version which is much cheaper and only comes with the virtual items. That version I could see being compared to a stealthy Microtransaction, but trying to compare the $150 version just seems like a clever way to make MT's sound more reasonable by comparing it to the version that comes with physical items.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:32PM Alph said

"But this argument doesn't really work for a physical CE of a game, because most CE's offer physical items the buyer is paying for."

Exactly.

This article is laced with discontent and hidden agenda/a way to valid one's personal opinion to others.

Let us also not forget that these that:
"had the pleasure of plopping down 150 clams to pre-order a special collectors edition of their favorite game they have never played."
: are not actually putting down the money for a game they never played. Typically you're paying $5-$20 on the pre-order which almost always can be canceled and have the money applied to something else.

Furthermore, before the final fee is actually charged, most of these people will have had a chance to play said game.

Honestly, the first paragraph is a horrible injustice to whatever point is to follow and is blatantly offensive to gloat about a straw-man idea assuming the following to even be accurate.
"The funnest part is seeing hardcore cash-shop haters gladly paying huge sums of money for a robot pet or a cool looking cape."

Are you actually seeing 'cash-shop haters' paying these huge sums of money or are you just assuming that to be happening.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:38PM Alph said

@Alph
...oh and a rq 'inb4' someone says 'umad' or wrongfully assumes I purchased a preorder.

Yes, there are those of us out there that will stand up for something even if we haven't be a 'victim' or 'wronged'.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:45PM Oskari said

@Alph

I'm standing up against people needlessly taking a stand. Can't we all just sit down?

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:47PM Averice said

@Alph I kind of have to agree with you. Pre order gimmicks are dumb. The only thing I've ever preordered was Aion, and that wasn't for anything that came with it (I didn't preorder the CE), it was because I got a 2 week headstart. I never see the need to pre order because I've never been in a situation where a store didn't have what I wanted to buy. CE stuff I'd say can be cool though, if it's a physical object.

That said, that was only one sentence, I actually skipped over that sentence without even noticing it until you pointed it out.

Also, lol, from reading the paragraph before the jump, I thought you were going to spend $150 on real life stuff, not game stuff >< Like hey, you could get 150 mcchickens or something.