Posted: Jul 27th 2011 3:45PM (Unverified) said

I will give Rift another shot once they add the ability to level lock and turn off xp or something similiar.

Right now it's create a character, blink, and hit 50. They have all these nice little faction vendors in each zone, but you level so fast you can't even get the items before you out level them.

I don't know why MMO developers think that super fast leveling and bonux xp weekends and double xp weekends are so attractive.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 3:55PM ElfLove said

@(Unverified)

"A lot of people like me like the journey more than the destination. I'm not in a hurry to get to endgame and grind plaques and repeat dungeons all day."

Same here. Rift just goes by in a blue then you spend the rest of your sub funding 'hardcore' raiders. I'd rather just enjoy the actual dynamic content and the world.

Also....
"Another point that surprised me was the plan to add solo instances."

Hah...I'm surprised and amused. Looks like they finally wised up and are going to give people with jobs, lives and WOW raid burnout baggage a chance to see the remaining 89% of the game. *sarcastic smile*

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:04PM Seffrid said

@(Unverified)

"A lot of people like me like the journey more than the destination."

Me included, which is why having played since beta I have a number of characters (about 10 across two servers, Guardian and Defiant) in their 20's.

I never did understand why people feel the need to rush through a game putting in a number of hours each day in order to reach the endgame quickly only to complain about either the lack of endgame content and/or the speed of getting there.

Nothing personal, but the timing is in your own hands. Advancing too quickly? Spend a bit of time doing something else. You can only reach 50 in a short time if that is how you decide to play the game.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 12:37AM Elikal said

@(Unverified) I agree with you, anon, however: Rift never had much content to play longer levelling to begin with. That was and remains the crucial issue of Rift. The quests rarely are something to write home about, little to zero alternative content for alts and endgame is a terrible grind. Levelling one char to max was fun in Rift but then it was game over for me, and tbh. I can't see at all how they could ever turn the tide in this MMO. People are very patient with it so far, partially because they are burned out of WOW, and partially because Trion has some nice dudes. But even that will wear off sooner or later. Trion has some short breather time left until Nov 2011, when SWTOR will blow like a tidal wave on it. Whether it survives the launch of TOR and GW2... I have my doubts about that.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 3:47PM BigAndShiny said

Downvote if you want, but I think they're prepaing something big for near SW:TOR's release.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:00PM Faith said

@BigAndShiny They would be stupid not to, after seeing how big the preordres were, I'll bet almost every MMO has some kind of event/update for when SWTOR releases. Anytime a new MMO comes out, it's smart to give your current players something to stay subbed for.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:15PM Rayko said

@Faith I agree that planning some event around ToR's release is smart even though it will make next to no difference at launch. People that want to play ToR are going to do so and they wont be swayed by some content patch of the current game they are playing ( well 99.9 % won't), at least in the short term. I almost see those content updates being released around that time as a hopeful boomerang back into the previous MMO if the player that left their older MMO does not like ToR.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:49PM BigAndShiny said

@Rayko
Well there were quite a few times while playing WoW that i wanted to try something else, but then just stuck around for 'one more raid/patch'

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 5:28AM Snichy said

@BigAndShiny. Aren't they all?

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 3:51PM (Unverified) said

Is there any sort of Massively guild in RIFT? I am approaching 50 and searching for a guild to run higher level things with. Server doesn't matter (due to Xfer's)

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 3:55PM tepster said

@(Unverified) I believe Rubi runs a massively guild but I forget which server.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 5:01PM deluxe2000 said

Endgame now is just the simple carrot - grind instances for better gear so you can qualify to grind more instances for better gear. PvP is terrible - the battlegrounds are the worst designed pieces of garbage ever. WAR truly shines when it comes to small instanced PvP maps, when you compare it to the last minute shit RIFT's devs spewed out.

So really all is good until you hit 50 and max crafting...then there is literally nothing to do but grind terribad pvP maps or boring instances over and over, all so you can pose in the main cities with your uber gear.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:09PM Gaugamela said

@deluxe2000

Which is a pity for the players that prefer to show their cosmetic gear.
As for PvP I didn't think that the maps were horrible and WAR had some horrific maps itself.
However, WAR is still alive go play it.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 2:02PM (Unverified) said

@deluxe2000

Black Garden is one of them ore interesting PVP scenarios designed in MMOs in recent years, and the Codex is a more strategic version of Arathi Basin (the best of the WoW PVP maps). I'm not enamoured with Port of Scion (too much going on) or Whitefall Steppes (too big), but to sugges that Trion's pvp map design is a total disaster is inherently false.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:12PM real65rcncom said

"The question is, what will happen once the doors are finally broken?"

No one will know because the fog will obscure it.

Posted: Jul 28th 2011 2:13AM ChongShin said

• 1 heart
lol @ "Trion" and "forward thinking" being linked in any way. No. Just no. XD

Posted: Aug 1st 2011 11:40PM (Unverified) said

Rift screwed up when they launched... many players took the time to look around, to explore rather than power level to 50, we thought that was the right way to progress in a game of 50 levels, but then Trion started to change things, rewards from dailys were nerfed where the 'explorers' of the game ended up grinding twice as long for half the rep, the rewards for raiding were nerfed and many other similar punishments for those who did not run screaming to 50.
So much for trying to enjoy the trip.... for the destination was changed.

I arrived at 50 and found guilds that allowed you to join simply so they could level the guild and then boot you to make room for friends when they arrived from WoW.
The whole game became a grind for rep or find a guild to raid... both routes had been ground to death in WoW and I had no intentions of suffering through instance after instance of 'don't stand there' and 'check our forums for the best build', cause once again there was only a narrow build for each class that was accepted in to a raid (guild).

After all was considered I quit... I left many toons crafted over months, I had enough of the same ol'crap.
Now I'm reading solo instances, well, about time someone realized we don't ALL want to listen to 17 year old raid leaders screaming in vent... again.

I'll give Rift another shot after the solo content has arrived, but for now I just can't stand anymore MMO raiding, rep grind, daily ridden game that thinks we like playing 'Ground Hog Day' each time we log-on.

Oh... and I'm playing "Forsaken Worlds" for awhile, for the same reason I started to play Rift... to get away from the same old crap... (WoW).

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014