Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:45PM sohcahtoa said

With the recent blogs from disgruntle ex-employee and the way the team was ran, I'm not sure if this game would have hit it off one way or another. But it is a damn interesting setting tho!!!

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:50PM deadborder said

"The Roman Empire never falls and becomes a supertech empire of awesomeness" Is one of the two cardinal sins of Alternate history.

As nice as wishful thinking is, Imperator doesn't show anyhting unusual or exciting that would cause it to stand out from the crowd beyond the sci-fi setting. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and looking at their population numbers, one could argue that Mythic would be better off going with it instead of WAR, but who can say for sure

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 7:12PM jeremy2020 said

DAOC was a 'happy accident'. Mythic through incompetence, luck, and a good idea here or there happened upon an MMO formula that worked...then proceeded to 'implement their vision' and drove players away in droves.

They were not capable of reproducing DAOC and we got a failed WAR from their efforts.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:05AM Fabius Bile said

@jeremy2020
while that is 99,9% true, part of the blame with WAR lies in GW themselves. with their overly retarded restrictions they sunk their own battleship.

when the developer isnt given free reign to do as he pleases game-wise, and a third party is more focused on preserving their IP than in changing and blending some things to make sense for a MMO, you can end up with products like WAR...

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 7:21PM Unshra said

I'd like to toss another one for a possible TGA, Charr: Grim Fate. For me that was the first and last time I was highly active in pre-release MMO community, to this day I still like the concept they had of Cyberpunk meets High Fantasy. ^_^

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:32AM Cyclone Jack said

@Unshra

Agreed, and if Massively needs any of the old info, I think I still have it around somewhere.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 8:10PM Darkmoone said

LOL MARK JACOBS

Biggest loser in MMO history.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 9:57PM mmogaddict said

@Darkmoone I see your Mark Jacobs and raise you a Derek Smart instead.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 2:15AM Interitus said

I was so excited for this game. I would have loved to see what could have come from it.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 2:24AM Space Cobra said

I was slightly interested, but for some reason, my initial reaction (flavored by a certain single-player earlier computer game) was thinking this would be more like spaceships and fleets in the future.

I was a bit "meh" at the Roman theme, but I would have gave it a chance.

Sometimes in business, you have limited resources and you try to make a best decisions and really, Warhammer was a better decision, I can agree there, but hindsight always makes a bitter pill in this case. A few years of work chucked away. Ultimately EA bought them out and, it seems, ruined the studio (Mythic). IMO, wasted potential is never pretty and the game didn't look too bad.

But...

"and a "weird" type that's "messing around, truly, with the quantum forces" yet was not meant to be a wizard in space."

C'mon...."space-wizard"! even if he does use devices! ;P

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:44AM Gaugamela said

Missions were delivered straight to players through their HUDs

Special missions termed "life events" were to provide you with a significant way to shape and influence your character's growth, although the choice of one path over another would have been nail-biting.

Some ideas seem to have passed on to SW:TOR.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 6:30AM eLdritchZ said

iirc Imperator was also supposed to have an extensive player driven economy and political system, with guilds playing an important role and such...

@ all the Mythic/ToA hate:

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 8:57AM ElfLove said

@eLdritchZ

"I'd still rather do Masterlevels and level Artifacts than restart the gear carussel every 2 years with 10 more character levels as it is done in other MMOs... that trend can go die in the gutter."

Yes one million times yes!

Th 'raid or die' MMO end game needs to go away...or if nothing it needs to have an alternative.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 7:02AM Gaugamela said

Pitty that this game had only consensual PvP. Didn't knew that bit.
But the setting sounds really interesting to me.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:27AM (Unverified) said

For my money, DAoC is the best mmorpg ever. There has been no other mmo with such an awesome endgame. Relic raids were the most fun I've had in any video game ever.

If mythic or someone else were to release a DAoC 2 or just rerelease DAoC 1 with only the first xpack and updated graphics, I'd be back for another decade.

I was a pretty beast Savage and Skald (the latter on Mordred pvp server) for awhile during the Aftermath vs Retributjon days.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:05AM Gaugamela said

@(Unverified)

There's a bunch of 3faction MMOs coming out soon. TSW, Planetside 2 and Prime: Battle for Dominus.
Some of these will have a heavy focus on World PvP, and there's still not enough details about TSW PvP.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 10:09AM Alluvian EstEndrati said

I really wish that this title had been brought to completion, instead of the travesty that is WAR.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 9:07PM Gaugamela said

@Alluvian EstEndrati
And get ready for more disapointment when the WH40K MMO comes out.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM