Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:41PM epilepticemu said

Interesting. The biggest take-away is, I guess, that there is no "dual speccing" or "4-speccing" as it might be in Rift. So, with the Jedi Knight example, you're either gonna be a DPS or a tank. Forever (or until you spend an amount of money that might be "just out of reach," so very significant).

HOWEVER I also seem to remember them saying something about being able to change load-outs more on the fly? To add more healing utility if your group needed it? Or am I thinking of GW2 now? All the games are blurring together!

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:53PM KDolo said

@epilepticemu
I believe that's GW2 youre thinking of.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:01PM StampyIRL said

@epilepticemu
He was talking about changing your advanced class. Each advanced class also has specialization trees. We can't really say, based on this information, if traditional respecs will be as limited.

For example, if I make a Sith Warrior, and mistakenly choose Marauder as my advanced class, I get one chance to fix that mistake. Now with my Juggernaut, I have no idea what will be involved in switching between Vengeance (DPS) and Immortal (tank) builds.

Also, I believe they were talking about companion characters when they mentioned adding more healing utility, i.e. summoning your healer companion or outfitting your other companions with healing kits.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:56PM paterah said

@StampyIRL If I remember correctly you couldn't change your advanced class once you made the choice. Did that change?
Also, in respond to OP, even within the same advanced class you will be able to respec and have different roles. A Jedi Knight Guardian will be able to be both tank and DPS.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:31PM Knuxson said

@paterah

Yeah the article says that at Comic-Con they announced that you can switch your AC, but at a high cost. I am betting that respeccing within your AC will still be pretty cheap. So a Jedi Consular Shadow, for example, will probably be able to switch between tanking and melee dpsing pretty easily but it will be very costly to switch to a Sage and be a healer or ranged dps

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:44PM Dunraven said

Great article Larry one thing though.... I don't know about the United States but here in the UK SW comics are huge, they are easily the biggest movers at my Mates Comic shop and he has one of the Larger distros in Bristol.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:01PM Khalus said

"Ohlen clarified that you will not be able to change the gender or species of the companion."

Very good info, though I'm disappointed that there are no gender/race choices for our companions and we're stuck with static options. I'm planning on playing a Twi'lek Sith Inquisitor and I wanted a female companion, but both my choices are male...lame!

Why not have a male and female choice for each class?

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:14PM StampyIRL said

@Khalus

That would be cool, but I'd like this game to release at some point :P
Just think of all the voice acting and extra story options they would need to sink into a feature like that.

But I heard each class gets five companions, so there's probably a female for the SI.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:29PM Khalus said

@StampyIRL

Really, where did ya hear there are 5 diff companions? Not that I've heard there are only two, but thats all I've found info on thus far.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:14PM Lucidus said

@Khalus You'll still get to romance them. Worry not!

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:50PM hereafter said

@Khalus

"Right now, you'll be able to have up to five unique companions per character in The Old Republic. We're still looking at this in Game Testing, but that's the current number. Any one of them can accompany you on missions.

That number does not include a droid (one for Republic, one for Empire) that's found on your ship."

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:07PM Khalus said

@hereafter

Alright, thats great to hear then, cause I was feeling left out not having a female companion choice, at least on that class. I do plan to play all 8 eventually since they all have a 300+ hr unique storyline to play through.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:07PM Popplewell said

Months from release and still no concrete info in so many areas leaving you little to report outside of more "we can't talk about that yet."

If they're so overwhelmed with the demand they have to stagger the launch just to cope, why do they still care if Blizzard releases a patch at the same time anyway?

Oh and DH's coverage was no better than any other fansite's and when one of their guys got the chance to ask a question, he came out with "How many dances are there?"

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:46PM kaelidancer said

I've not been that interested in SWTOR, but little nuggets of information like this are piquing my curiosity. I don't know that I like the idea of a companion system a lot, but the way they're implementing it is so innovative that I think I'll have to take a look, at least.

Hopefully we'll get a free trial, or at least an open beta.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:54PM Borick said

I'm glad to see that they're working on the vehicles. The hover-segway was not acceptable.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:58PM kdognumba1 said

I'm really looking forward to this one! My most anticipated game so far!

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:43PM Nyghtsaber said

My opinion in regard to the whole "should there, shouldn't there" be dual-speccing is that there is..and there isn't.

What I mean is that changing your Advanced Class ISN'T the same as changing your "spec" in another game, it's akin to changing your entire CLASS in another game. BioWare is setting up AC's so that they have a vastly different feel and play-style and are in essence supposed to function as they're own entirely unique class.

For instance, a Bounty Hunter Powertech AC has 3 skill trees to choose from: a tanking tree and a close-mid range DPS tree and then the shared "base" skill tree which each build uses.
Then you have the BH Mercenary has a mid-long range DPS tree, a healing tree and then the base tree as well.

Here's Georg Zoeller's great blog a few months back on the subject.

So in essence the 2 BH AC's will play totally different and have multiple builds to play with, within each AC. So if a the Merc and Powertech are supposed to be viewed as different "classes" and not just AC's, then you should be able to hot-swap between them easily. However, you CAN hot-swap between the trees within your AC so there is your flexibility that you want for different situations.

Now that being said I do feel that, for a new player, having to make this monumental decision by level 10 is a little too soon. You don't really have a feel for what the 2 different AC's will offer later on and which one will suit your play-style more. That's why I think the system they discussed at SDCC was great. You get a one-time nearly FREE re-spec of your AC, IF (and only IF) you do it very early on (at around level 10). If you wait too long it gets increasing less feasible to do it, but it can still be done once for a moderate fee. But after that, if it's even going to be possible in the final release, it's going to be extremely difficult and expensive and not really be worthwhile to do.

Seems like a good system to me.

If you make a mistake, or really just learn that you HATE the AC you choose, you have a "get out of jail free card". But then it's pretty much locked in, for all intents and purposes.

And for PvE and PvP and versatility, you still have the 2 very unique trees to pick form within your chosen path. I think people got a little to bent out of shape on BOTH sides of this issue at SDCC and before that even. IMHO! :D

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:29PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
I wonder if their next Q&A will be talking about the boycott that "second class" EU countries are starting on all EA titles.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:54PM PacketBurner said

Thank you very much Larry...

The solo only planet has me very curious, and happy to see some customisation of companions. Although i think it might break the immersion factor of having all fem companions dressed in sluttly imperial garge... who am i kidding.

Any word on twilek sith inquistors and whether the head gear spoiled my first race option for sith inquistor? (the most pressing question lol)

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:57PM PacketBurner said

Oh sorry to double tap a story but was their no positive "we have listened" speech from bioware on a "Appearence" tab? I was shocked they want everyone running round in patchwork gear because of stats on launch... surely they have fixed this no?

One Shots: Hello, autumn