Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:13PM JohnFordColey said

I don't want to say that CCP is hiding something, but to cut back on this sort of information so close after the Incarna controversy just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:26PM Kyzgar said

@JohnFordColey
I agree. I still enjoy EVE, and I plan to keep playing, but I don't think I'll ever buy PLEX or use the cash shop. I just hope they learned something and it makes them strive to do/be better.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:16PM Equillian said

Think they're trying to hide the impact Arum has had on the economy?

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:19PM aaradun said

The only reason for this is that they are hiding the subscription, they lost easily half if not more or their userbase and don't want to show it.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:09PM Eamil said

@aaradun I'm not saying they're not trying to hide anything but I doubt this is what they're trying to hide since they show the number of users online on the login screen.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:29PM jslim419 said

@Eamil

they show the number of players logged in.. not how many active subscriptions they currently have.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 7:52PM Eamil said

@jslim419

And if EVE lost more than half of its subscribers, would you find it reasonable for the number of concurrent users to stay the same?

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 9:22PM Fire Walk With Me said

@aaradun They hardly lost a soul. Every time you log in it shows pilots in the server and the numbers are the same as ever.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:52AM aaradun said

@Eamil user online and actual number of people that have active subscription one month after relase of incarna is totally different thing. online could stay steady at 40k, but actual paying customer could have gone down by 50%. Remember a lot of people only log to change skill.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 12:08PM TyrionLannister said

@aaradun

So basically you are argueing that half of eve's player base left and everyone of those that left just happens to be the sort of player that only logs in to change skills. That makes sense : \

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:23PM dudes said

If I was a credit rating agency like Moody's this would be like another MMO announcing server merges and knock down CCP's rating by a few notches. Like from AAA to -AAC.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:26PM (Unverified) said

CCP a bit embarrassed?

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:45PM motorun said

Some interesting data regarding server population:

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 7:02PM halfcaptain said

@motorun

Great article. I hope it turns some heads at CCP. During monoclegate I cancelled a couple subs, but kept my main paid up. I'm going to ride this one out; I've got faith in the game.

By the way (everyone else) if you're 'done with EVE,' 'never trusting CCP again,' or just glad you're not playing anymore, kindly save it. Move on, and stop acting like a vegan at mcdonalds. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 7:57PM Paradigm68 said

@halfcaptain The vegan at McDonalds analogy doesn't work here. If your favorite vegan restaurant, the one you've given a lot of your time and money to, enjoyed their food and service immensely and made a lot of friendships with the staff and other customers, suddenly started serving meat dishes after promising they never would, you'd have a better analogy and I think it would be fair to complain.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:08AM halfcaptain said

@Paradigm68

My analogy is fine. Like I said, I've been pretty disappointed with CCP's missteps lately, and I've unsubbed a couple alts to help illustrate that for them.

What I meant by 'vegan at McDonalds' is the enthusiasm and righteousness*** of the anti-CCP comments lately, more often than not coming from non-eve players just itching to wag a virtual finger at a developer that's been making some, well, /complicated/ decisions lately.

Everyone loves to read about EVE regardless of how much or how little experience they have with the game, and the same thing can be said about the resulting opinions (and knee-jerk upvoting, ahem) we see in these comment threads. If anything, your analogy is kinda flawed; the playerbase, myself included, is pretty sore about the treatment of the pay-to-win rumours, but to date no 'meat' has been sold at your vegan restaurant.

***q: How do you know right away when you're talking to a vegan?
a: They tell you.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:23PM (Unverified) said

ROFL.

Got something to hide CCP?

Lame as hell.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:51PM DrewIW said

Not so Fearless after all.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:51PM kaelidancer said

Wow, whether the reasons are justifiable or not, this isn't gonna sit well with the community.

I'm sure glad I don't play EVE anymore, the community was bitter enough when I was in there :D

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:07PM Unverfied B said

CCP entering a failure cascade?