Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:16PM Kaoss said

Why not just a system like WoW? I don't play Aion so I'm not 100% sure what you're meant to do in Dredgion but if it's a PvP thing or something similar, why not have the ability to mark a player AFK and then that player has a 3 or so minute timer to go do something like attack another player, or you mentioned questing, so perhaps go talk to a NPC.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:17PM Kaoss said

@Kaoss Obviously if it's not done in that time they get the boot or something :)

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:41PM (Unverified) said

@Kaoss

You have been reported AFK. You have 3 minutes to /afk before being removed from battleground.

:D

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 7:51PM tooright said

@(Unverified) I used to love using that in WoW

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:23PM KDolo said

I think you mean, "try not to speak in wingdings"

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 3:46PM Alex Oglitchkin said

This is so funny. MJ if you are new to this then I find it funny. Way back on Zikel people always AFK'd if they were up against certain groups. It would be hard to do the whole WoW vote to kick option because at times people Q up with friends so you won't be getting their vote. Hell we had guild groups that just killed for like 3-4k pts then when we died we would afk the rest of the time. We got more points than just standing around. Elyos dominated us in gear so we didn't even bother. Sad to see things haven't changed.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 3:52PM (Unverified) said

I someone from NCsoft reads your article on this and takes action. People who exploit game mechanics such as this, just ruin the fun for everyone else. I couldn't care less about some some virtual trinket/item/AP/whatever, I play for the experience. I remember loving the thrill of fighting in AV back in vanilla WOW, and how upsetting it was when they changed the reward mechanics so that trying to lose the battle as fast as possible was giving a better/easier reward per minute return. After that their were fewer good fights to be had, and my enjoyment with the game plummeted. Publishers need to remember that many of us actually play games because we enjoy the experiences and challenges not just for the virtual bling.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 4:04PM Alex Oglitchkin said

@(Unverified) It's been like this since launch and well hmm over 2yrs now? Ya it's not getting changed. And NCsoft West is pretty worthless as they do nothing but what NC Korea tells them to. When we wanted changes way back in the start of the game NCwest had to get NCkorea's approval on any changes.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 4:22PM (Unverified) said

...and one of many reasons why I un-subbed. The game is gorgeous, and I love the customization, but between the a$$hats and griefers, and the mindless asian grinder madness past level 30-35, it's just not worth 15 bucks a month for the anguish.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:02PM tooright said

Well it's good to see someone at massively get ticked off at SOMETHING.

They go so far out of their way to avoid saying something negative about a game so an honest beef once in awhile is scrumptious.

Guess Ncsoft didn't pony up the check this month for good press?

Seriously though MJ , you mention you played through and stuck it out since launch and you're JUST getting pissed about Dredge Abuse and lack of Dev attention?

I feel sorry for anyone that is still playing this

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:52PM MJ Guthrie said

@tooright
Actually, I never said I played though since launch -- I actually mentioned that I stopped logging in. In fact, I left the game for a few months when I was tired of the log in queues. Of course I realize it can be easy to make assumptions and jump to conclusions.

As for your other fallacies in comments, an actual read through the site could prove enlightening -- try The Soapbox column. Though I must admit it simply amuses me when someone makes wisecracks about Massively writers getting paid from the studios since it only demonstrates how little a commenter actually knows, yet is willing to spout off.

Pitied for enjoying a pastime? I can handle that. It is certainly better than spending time tearing others down simply because they are not you.

Thanks for reading the article. Be sure that I will certainly share any honest beefs I have with the game. However, I must also warn you that I am the type of person who sees things in a positive light and gives the benefit of the doubt more often than not, so my fledgling rant lobe gets little exercise. I'd never trade this quality though, as it really makes life more enjoyable (and ensures a lower blood pressure).

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM