Posted: Jul 25th 2011 11:49PM alinos said

@jaycenlightrider

Oh bugger off with the stupid australians ruin our gameplay experience BS that always gets espouted.

We only affect you if we are either in your party or PvPing with you. and even then it's minor

Not to mention the fact that as people living in a different timezone we wouldn't be playing with you we would essentially be playing at opposite times of the day.

it's 2PM here it's 9PM in america. So generally speaking assuming the peak is at 7PM onwards in australia its going to be 2AM in america. at which point players in the US are going to start dropping off while the australian's pick up

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:30AM (Unverified) said

I think you're seeing this as a response to allowing server population in slowly. They probably don't want to make the same mistake of opening 100 servers at launch and then having to close 30 of them 3 months in.

Seems like they're playing it safe, and if it works out, will hopefully provide a better experience for everyone - in the long run anyways.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:38AM alinos said

@(Unverified)

you mean except for those people that technically aren't allowed to play because they don't live in a section of the world that EA recognises

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:51AM potaco said

@Ren54
They're not saying anything about who is right and who is wrong... They've simply learned from all the other AAA MMO launches of the last few years:

Each of those has huge populations/queues at launch, prompting the addition of more servers to accommodate them. Then, after people play for their free month, populations start to drop. When they drop low enough, servers are merged, causing people to fear that the game is failing, causing a bigger drop in population, causing more server mergers, and so on and so on.

I don't know if this is the "best" way to avoid that problem, but it's the business choice that they've made.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 11:49AM potaco said

@Ren54

I don't think they're implying that they've only "made" a limited number of digital downloads. As you mentioned, that would be silly. What they are doing is putting a limit on the number of copies of the game available for preorder. Whether this is purely marketing ("hurry or you'll miss out") or to prevent queues in the short term/empty servers in the long term, that's debatable. My personal opinion is that the latter takes precedence... the last thing EA wants for such a huge IP is a crappy launch followed by notices of servers merging.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:34AM Fire Walk With Me said

Creates demand = more sales = smart idea

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:34AM Vegetta said

I can see where limiting sales will really piss a lot of people off but then again so will really long login queues.

Basically its a lose/lose situation for them.

I don't have much interest in this game so it doesn't effect me really. IF I was all gung-ho for swtor I would be pissed if I was unable to preorder.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:37AM Daverator said

Well the CE obviously will have a limited run, they likely purchased the runs of the statue and stuff a while back, and that sort of stuff makes sense to resell a few thousand, but not to tack on an extra couple of hundred.

So of all of the options, the CE seems by far the most legit limited release. The digital however, that is just an arbitrary limitation, possible by some contract they have entered.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:40AM Arkanaloth said

honestly.. pretty bad idea. The game is good but I haven't had a chance to do the pre-order yet due to.. you know that life thing. I'll try to do a pre-order at my local gamestop but if I can't preorder 2 copies (1 for me, 1 for the wife) then we may not get the game at all, especially if GW2 comes out in the spring 2012 instead of fall / winter 2012.

I honestly don't really care about the pre-order fluff, and the CE is ridiculously priced (remember that 2 copies thing).

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:46AM Arkanaloth said

@Arkanaloth assuming of course that the pre-order limitation is followed up by a shelf copy limitation as well.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:49AM Transientmind said

I have no arguments against a staggered release, with a limited number of copies.

I have arguments against basing that staggering of the release by choosing who gets to buy.

How do you think the world would react if Bioware said that they only had a few million copies to sell, but that none of those copies would be available to ? That's functionally what they've done, only instead of going with ethnicities, they've gone with discriminating against countries (which in certain cases may as well be discriminating against ethnicities).

They have specifically nominated a demographic and excluded them. How that demographic was chosen doesn't matter.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:28AM Oskari said

@Transientmind

If you create a product, there is no legal requirement to sell it to each and every country in the world. So no, there is no discrimination. Bad move? Maybe, but that's for others to decide.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:36AM Transientmind said

@Oskari Unless, of course, you very vocally and very proudly advertise it as a global game and global community.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 11:28AM Oskari said

@Transientmind

There is no truth in advertising. I could release a product to six countries across the world. and get away with advertising my "global" product and community.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 1:25PM Borick said

@Oskari There is no truth in advertising.

And some people don't think that this is acceptable.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:59PM Oskari said

@Borick

Never said it was acceptable.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:50AM Issmir said

I'm not a fan, I have to say. Not that I was intending on buying hte game, but as a general concept...

IF there are good reasons for limiting the supply of a digital product (and I'm really not convinced that there are, but let's run with it) and IF it becomes necessary to stagger the launch in different regions, you tell your customers in advance. You make sure everything's above board way before you announce a pre-order and explain the reasons and solutions you have in mind.

Otherwise, you generate a lot of ill feeling.

Honestly, the limiting of a digital product feels to me more like a cynical marketing strategy than anything else. The physical product I could see being limited, but even then... unless the statues are made from something like buckminsterfullerene, I can't see why you couldn't have more made.

With unlimited pre-orders, the company would have a clearer indication of how many servers to have open at launch. And have the money to pay for them.

So all in all, I'm unimpressed.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:54AM DoctorSatan said

The problem is the number of people that'll leave swtor after the first month, ie., atleast 30% of the people leave a MMO after the free month (regardless of its epicness). SWTOR is expected to ship 2-3 million units. to accomodate said hoardes of people, the server cost(maintainance and construction) will be massive...ly :) So a huge amount of the server will be unused after the first month, which frankly is something no company wants.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:54AM alinos said

@DoctorSatan

Yes but who determined that i should have to wait for some american to get bored before they sell me the game

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 11:19AM Oskari said

@alinos

Um...EA, because it's their property and they can do what they will with it.