Posted: Jul 25th 2011 11:32AM real65rcncom said

@(Unverified) I don't really feel that bad. Someones people in other countries get deals people in the States don't so it all works out. :)

The people who ARE able to pre-order but are lollygagging and saying "Hmm.. I'm not sure if I want to", if they can't get one.. too bad.

They've known about the game for years now and that preorders were coming. If they failed to act because they were on the fence, that's part of the risk of early purchases.

If they don't want to take the risk, don't cry when their aren't any left and the game does well. They were hedging their bets but you can't have that both ways.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:19PM Leviathan said

@real65rcncom
Oh yes, because places like Australia frequently get told that AAA MMO titles aren't going to be available in their region at release. Of *course* it all balances out in the end >

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:08AM Bramen said

I'm sure Bioware has their reasons. But it all feels a bit to artificial.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:13AM Misterlee said

@Bramen

It's quite simple, it's called marketing.

It is the exact same tactic as night clubs use, making people line up outside and wait even though the club is mostly empty inside. They make it look like there's a huge demand by limiting the supply just so it seems more interesting than it really is. And then when the artificially short supply runs out you can bet your life they will be running stories about how their game sold out in record time.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:12AM Fakeassname said

• Half a heart
f*** and no!

that said it will probably pay off big for them, and by "them" I mean EA, as fan boyz en legion will line up to get screwed over.

but I really this this as the killing of the golden goose to make a stew, no one is going to make another leap of faith for a Bioware title after this.

getting a heavy return on TOR is a major issue for EA after how much money they have fed this behemoth, but reputation is primarily what made Bioware a success in the first place because if anyone else had tried to recycle as much generic plot lines as Bioware has, they would get lynched with abysmal sales and piss poor reviews.

the only way I can see them not getting knocked down a peg or two for this obvious cash grab is if they really make a point of differentiating themselves from the MMO studio and try to play this off as "not us even though we have got the same name."

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:15AM Yellowdancer said

I just don't get this. Its a known fact that Non-US countries have issues with buying US products. This isn't the first time it has happened. Why would anyone expect this game to be any different? Bio-ware can't work miracles.

As to limiting Origin sales. This is done to protect retail outlets. This game will be HUGE for retail stores. There are a lot of stores really struggling and this holiday release will help them. Bioware/EA has to maintain a relationship with these people. They don't want to burn any bridges.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:32AM alinos said

@Yellowdancer

Protect retail stores my ass.

All it's doing is shifting customers to other outlets, like Amazon or the random CD-key sites that will pop up when we get closer to release.

It won't protect an retail stores except for those that refuse to buy the game from anywhere but a retail store, since people will work around the restrictions.

so the retail stores will suffer either way.

Not to mention that in my country of australia. It is perfectly legitimate for the retail outlets to buy US stock and sell it in australia under our parallel import laws. And trust me, it was done with Ocarina of time a few weeks ago, it will be done again with SW:TOR

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:46AM mmogaddict said

@Yellowdancer I can tell you we have very little trouble buying US products from outside the US except when artifical blocks are put in place BY PUBLISHERS.

Regional pricing (driven by PUBLISHERS) on Steam for example, but we've gotten around that through www.ozgameshop.com and this time we've gotten aroudn it via Amazon and Gamestop online stores. 2 CE heading down under to me.

IP Blocks? VPN $2/month

Cred Card locks? Gamecards

There is nothing going to stop gamers from bypassing this stupid decision anyway, they might as well not have even bothered.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:15AM Sephirah said

No problem for me.
I simply removed SWTOR from the list of games I was interested in.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:19AM Fakeassname said

• Half a heart
@Sephirah

lol!

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 11:52AM Fakeassname said

• Half a heart
@Fakeassname

I'm loving how even this got down voted, but the comment I was agreeing with didn't.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:17AM armoredisamu said

I bet the decision came from EA, not Bioware. Besides that, they not only limited physical pre-orders but digital too. I think they are so afraid of servers crashing or clogging due to immense number or players trying to get in at pre-release week.

And they locked a lot of regions out of pre-ordering. I am living in Istanbul and have to wait for god-knows-how-much to be able to pre-order my digital copy. And I am in a guild going in together before release by pre-ordering. Damn you EA! :(

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 5:38PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@armoredisamu

Bioware are far from innocent. EA may be calling theshots with this crap, but the fact the game stinks is all Bioware.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:17AM TheGreatMachine said

• 1 heart
Wait there was a limit? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:22AM TheGreatMachine said

Even worse, it's not even available in Australia at launch. Way to shaft potential customers.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:18AM (Unverified) said

Good for Bioware. This isn't the only MMO in history to be limited release, WoW was when it launched. A number of others that were not, two brought up in this article had hosts of issues associated with overpopulation at launch.

I am glad Bioware is not taken the money grab approach at the expense of the game quality. Of course they are going to get flak no matter what they do. Such as the life of on MMO publisher/developer.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:27AM alinos said

@(Unverified)

difference being that when WoW launched Digital distribution was in it's infancy, and it was more popular than they imagined.

Nowadays Not being there from the start can have serious ramifications.

I can't have my character names because someone decided my country is anywhere from a week to a year later.

the reserved guild name is gone.

No access to any beta which in this day and age is the equivilant to your MMO demo

I'll be importing my copy, just because i live in a different part of the world and would have been buying a digital copy. im apparently not allowed to.

Not to mention Bioware has EA behind them. they have recognised that there is a problem and have months to rectify server's if thats the issue.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:47AM Fakeassname said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

the money grab is in the cost of the box combined with the limited regional releases being more about not wanting to pay to support more than what is absolutely necessary outside of NA.

limited sales is simply bulls***, they are incrementally dribbling out pre-sales to make people feel like the NEED to pre-order it and that it makes them special when they do get it because it's a "limited" thing.

Marketing 101 is that if it's rare then people will pay more, even better is when you can get people to THINK that it's rare ...

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 10:08AM mmogaddict said

@(Unverified) Yes and ask the populations of Blackrock and Proudmoore servers in WOW how 'sucessful' the staggered release was.

It's even easier to bypass now.

It's a mild hassel to bypass but more importantly it's the attitude it conveys that annoys the 'red zone'.

Most of my Aussie guild has pre-orders in place, many for the CE's Hell thanks to EA's past history we KNOW it's still going to be cheaper to buying it from Amazon and import it ourselves than to buying it from a local brick and mortar store due to PUBLISHER regional pricing.

I'm more betting this has more to do with the Origin system, this is EA's big chance to try and break the grip Steam has and I'm betting they know the Origin servers can't hack it.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:21AM Greyhame said

On one hand, it makes sense from a business stand point. It allows them to ramp up more as opposed to either having too much or not enough. It's a bit more predictable. It also means less hardware in some cases depending on how they planned on setting up different regions.

On the other hand, it sucks for those who want to get the game but are in regions that are locked out. I'm not one of these people myself, but I can understand the disappointment and frustration this is causing them. While they can get the game (generally via ordering it from a retailer that will ship to them), it is a pain for them to do so as well as the delay that international ordering tends to bring.