Posted: Jul 26th 2011 1:15PM (Unverified) said

@Jack Pipsam

You folks in Australia are too often left out with gaming. I don't understand. An English speaking country, highly educated, with a good economy. Why is so little emphasis put into Australia? You would think some gaming company would notice this gap and intentionally assure concurrent release dates for Australians...

Posted: Jul 29th 2011 2:13AM UnSub said

@(Unverified) We're a small market who is a long way away. We may be vocal, but financially it may not be worth the cost to get SWOR onto our shores at the time of the US launch.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:49AM Delvenar said

I don't think i'd say this is the best way to handle a release by any means, but as many people have mentioned, it may very well be better than letting people spend the $60-80 and not be able to play on launch day. It does indeed, end up lose lose, both for Bioware, and for the people who can't/couldn't pre-order. I just hope it doesn't doom the game before it even launches. (though i doubt that, given how well the game looks to play even solo, i think it'll live for at least a couple years...i mean look at how long SWG limped along after NGE =P)

The part i think people are either missing, or unaware of was in one of the Q&A sessions at comicon, the day the pre-orders went live, someone asked them specifically about shards, and whether or not they were prepared to add new ones at release. The answer was something like "we have the technical capability, but we're not planning to at this time"
So, even though my Son, Father and I, all got our copies pre-ordered, I understand the frustration, and I'm really curious to see just how many servers they do go with at launch, and just how many copies are sold.

I know a typical mmo has somewhere in the neighborhood of 100k on the CE boxes, sometimes as many as 125 or 150k, so then you figure probably 500k total copies. Which is a fair estimate i think. Now, if they weren't limiting it, just how high would it be by Thanksgiving? 2-3 mil? higher maybe? who knows.....and there's the rub.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 1:11PM (Unverified) said

When Star Trek online was still in open beta, I purchased both the deluxe digital version of the game and the lifetime subscription to it. Cryptic seemed to be a miracle worker. Having inherited a game that had been in progress for a few years and churning out a game in record time. But this week (in which I ended my 6 month sabbatical from it) shows why Bioware is wise to put the measures in place that they have.

Starbase 24 basic starter quest still broken since beta. Memory Alpha quest still broken since beta. Constant disconnects (not caused by my connection since I never dc from Wow) everyday. Star Trek is a prime example of a game that is barely ready to move out of beta even today, hurriedly pushed into the market for all the masses. (If only I could sell this damn thing or get a refund for it...)

I do wish however that Bioware would have been wise enough to issue some type of warning to the affected regions. Our poor gaming brethren in Australia for example could have been alerted that some regions would not have immediate release. This respectful communication would have done wonders to bridge this current customer service impasse. Here they were thinking that since they are English speaking, and would not require a separate voice recording, they could have access day 1 like those of us in the U.S. Only to wait alongside us all this time and when hope is highest be crushed beneath the heal of poor communication.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 2:08PM StampyIRL said

I understand their decision-making in staggering releases, but the manner in which they launched these pre-orders was horrible.

It was a bad move to drop pre-orders in the middle of the night without so much as a "choo-choo!", while having the community manager away at Comic Con. Even that would have been less aggravating had they been prepared with some answers and explanations for the red-zoners, but they had to wait a few days for (I assume) the EA folks to get back to the office.

Not only that, but this staggering is going to put certain internationally-based guilds at a real disadvantage. While they aren't the first ones to screw with international guilds (i.e, WoW-US / WoW-EU), this decision seems entirely at odds with BioWare's pre-launch guild program, as well as their decision not to zone-restrict server access (like WoW does).

I'd like this game to do well, but this whole thing really doesn't reflect well on EA and BioWare's ability to communicate with each other.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 4:24PM Wayshuba said

Of course we all know what's coming next, especially considering the price of the pre-orders for a monthly sub game. After selling a few million boxes, EA will drop the bomb that the monthly sub rate is $29.95...

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:30PM (Unverified) said

Think of it as instant free server transfers. And using words like "immersion" or "realistic" when discussing games is childish at best.

Posted: Jul 29th 2011 7:51PM Calyptic001 said

for me fans of the star wars universe will love this game. The problem is now with so many MMO's people just wanna power level to max level and start end game ASAP, I can see this being more about the journey and less about the ending, Im not sure many MMO gamers will get that and just feel put off by not being able to level at ungodly speeds. But we shall see i suppose.

I love star wars myself and have read alot of Lore detailing the TOR ERA and some books in the legacy ERA, so im pretty psyched to see what sort of storys can get conjured up from this.

Posted: Jul 30th 2011 10:11PM telete said

i wonder how rift had such a good launch and ea/bw cant do the same...
well imo they gonna regret this decision and swtor its gonna be just another game, not the wow killer we are all waiting.

Posted: Jul 31st 2011 12:24AM (Unverified) said

I am more amused looking at how that wookie looks like a modified human model. Course that was one of the first things I noticed when it was coming to the playable races in ToR. All the races look like humans with different skin colors.

Posted: Jul 31st 2011 6:00AM Verus said

This really has very little to do with Bioware they are making the game but EA is in charge of ALL the sales of the game. If EA did the right thing or not id difficult to say but they did need to limit the launch in some way.