Posted: Jul 25th 2011 8:16PM Beau Hindman said

That's crazy cool. I am about to buy an older Cylon ship -- you know, the original disc-shaped ones from the 70s -- and it's a real thrill to see some of the larger craft battle it out.

Whenever they start fighting, I concentrate on shooting down the enemy missiles. :)

Beau

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:48PM Daemodand said

@Beau Hindman War Raiders are absolutely lethal if you build them right. Just make sure to level up your Firewall skill, because WRs are easy to take out with electronic warfare.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:51PM Beau Hindman said

@Daemodand Ah, will do. Was actually buying it today, but getting back to the ship seller is hard...we have been getting attacked all week.

Thanks!

Beau

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:18PM dudemanjac said

Is this game any good?

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:20PM RunnyRiver said

@dudemanjac I've wondered that, too. Sounds like a simpler, more honest EVE.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 10:01PM Callagan said

@dudemanjac

I only played it in Open Beta, so take my review with a grain of salt. Beyond its space combat, the game really has no substance. And far more than EVE, the game had severe problems with age > skill in that older players had far more experience points than newer players, and gaining more of them was insanely time consuming. Unlike EVE, they're not gained offline either. You have to grind for them. Cubits, the RMT portion of the game, are very hard to obtain in-game without purchase, and as far as I remember there is no economy at all, as trade is impossible. Due to its two faction system, imbalances on each server are impossible to stop. While when I played US East server had Cylon dominance, that was only due to the absolute XP advantage that the Cylons had over the Colonials as the Colonials have always had a numerical advantage since I first joined. On other servers, I've always heard the Colonials would have control. Now, this might have changed, but back when I was part of the Cylon fleet we would move out every day and wipe all of the Colonial starsystems off the map.

Of course, that was back in open beta so I assume a lot has changed. You couldn't even sell water for cubits back then.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:55AM Seldra said

@dudemanjac It's a pvp game, don't expect to do much in the way of pve, but it's a fun and fair game. It's got a cashshop, the game can be boring at times, like I said it's all about pvp so if you're not doing that you'll be bored.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 2:15AM Hater said

Games still buggy and so unbalnced as ever, even more so now since they made geting credits ect even harder.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 5:08AM dudes said

This lore or they just decided to put in a mini battlestar of their own design? Looks cool whichever.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 2:59PM DemonXaphan said

It's still a PvP game for the most part but the PvE consists of killing npc's, mining and PvP which repeats itself after all the PvE stuff is done.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:42PM Daemodand said

I'm still enjoying the game. Level 19 Raider all level 5 equipment.

The bad:
High level players are still rewarded for killing low level players (via them counting for daily quests). I can imagine a new player starting the game, getting killed by a level 80, laughing, logging out, and never coming back.

CYLONS ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MORE PLAYERS! Cylons are outnumbered, badly, on every server.

A player 10 levels or more above you is going to kill you, no contest. You are going to kill a players more than 10 levels below you, no contest.

Non-canon ships are mostly eyesores/look like they came from a different IP (a couple of them look pretty good though, like the "mini-baseship" Lich).

The Good:
Good graphics with reasonable system requirements (my single-core-wonder runs it on max no problem).

The look of the canon ships, the sound effects, the music, even the ambient sound of space are all straight out of the tv show.

Login rewards are addictive and fun.

Cubits are reasonably easy to get without paying. Those who say Cubits are hard to get are WRONG: do your dailies, mine water planetoids, get into a good wing that will share water panetoid mines with you and you will get PLENTY of Cubits! Paying is quicker, but so the heck what? Nothing is denied to the free player! You must invest either time or money, your choice.

Fights between opponents within 5 or 6 levels of each other are pretty balanced. You can beat an opponent 5 or 6 levels above you if you build and play well.

The large fleet engagements are what this game is all about and it is AMAZING to behold! I love zipping around capitol ships in my strike, and dogfights can be lots of fun.

Fighting alongside a Basestar (a mighty, mighty ship!) is awesome!

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 3:43PM Daemodand said

@Daemodand P.S. If you decide to try the game:

PLEASE ROLL CYLON! Cylon players are badly needed!

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays