Posted: Jul 24th 2011 10:36PM Jade Effect said

Look at it this way:

All these stuff you've accumulated throughout your life. Your bank account. Your house. Your car. Your yacht. Your private jet. Are you going to bring them all with you when you die?

Real stuff. Virtual stuff. It's all the same when you log out for good.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:06PM CheesecakeBandit said

@Jade Effect using that comparison them shutting down servers would be equivalent of blowing up the world and telling everyone that dies "sorry it is no longer profitable to support you." As such. Shutting down games is the virtual equivalent of genocide.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 12:12AM Poordevil said

@CheesecakeBandit

" Shutting down games is the virtual equivalent of genocide. " Now there is a player who takes their gaming seriously!

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 11:13PM Poordevil said

How large of a player base does an MMO need to retain in order to stay profitable? It doesn't seem to be that huge a number if the last year prior to Unchained is any indication. The game was sparsely populated compared to what it is now, and Funcom kept the doors open.

I don't know if the game was barely scraping by or what, but there weren't many players along the road to 80. There was a decent group of 80 lvl players raiding, but that was about all. If that was enough activity to keep the game profitable, I can see AoC being around for a while.

I have never seen as many players leveling up in this game as I have since Unchained went live! But my reference point begins shortly after the launch of the expansion, never played AoC until then.

I think the movie next month will be another boost for the game. I am expecting a pretty good Conan movie, and from what I have been reading from people "in the know" the Hollywood producers are expecting the movie to be well received, and have at least 1 sequel planned.

Finally, I think the Conan IP and the quality of the game itself is strong enough to stand up to the heavy hitter MMO's on the way, i.e. Star Wars and Guild Wars. One big advantage AoC has is just the fact it has 3 years of development, polish, and content on the table , done, delivered, with more on the way shortly. That is a lot for any launch MMO to measure up to, I don't care what they promise :)

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 12:08AM Space Cobra said

Good article and philosophy to bring up, Jef.

I am constantly reminded of a saying that SOE does not use anymore with their EQ MMO or actually, two:

"You are in OUR world now."
&
"Live in your world, Play in Ours."

Of course, there is a history behind these slogans and the reason they changed them that, I believe, was caused by some people on their forums taking liberty with their fan stories, but it does apply here, especially the first one.

It is never a "sure thing" to keep an MMO around and even the TOS clauses point that out. It is funny, I have the Collector's Sunglasses from the SWG Collector's Edition and now, what use are they? Just a curiosity that will go away. I do collect in real life and I play other games, but it does sting a bit of all that work and fun that disappears when a game shuts down. Sometimes, it helps not to take a game too seriously, but what level is overboard and what level is acceptable is all subjective, depending who you talk to, game company employees or other players.

In some way, Real Life intrudes on our "fun". The basic component of feeling safe and secure is "timelessness", at least in your own mind but "change" is the driving force of the real world we can't avoid. We grow old. Attitudes change. Home towns change and either empty lots get built upon when you played softball on them in your childhood or your old neighborhood gets run down.

To paraphrase a writer, "You can't ever go back home." Sadly, this can be true in the virtual world. Even a good emulated site is not the same thing as the original. Different people, different folks running the servers, different official forums and just all-around different beyond any code.

The Stream Team: Firefall's farewell