Posted: Jul 24th 2011 12:15PM Apakal said

I think you kind of danced around the answer yourself, but you never really said it.

Its not about the items or the pixels (at least not to me). Its about the journey to get them. I never was an achievement fiend or a serious collector of any kind in an MMO. But I remember all my first kills with all my different guilds and all the cool things I did along the way to get to that point. And that's what its all about.

If AoC or whatever current MMO I'm playing shutters, I'm not going to be sad that I'm losing my character and all my items. That's just ether. What I will miss is the opportunity to craft and partake in new experiences in a world I've grown to know and at least care about a little.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 12:30PM Thorqemada said

I would visit some of the new regions i have never seen and enter some of the Solo- and Groupdungeons, taking some screenshots for my memories.
I would not raid, i have done this 15 months t1 and t2 all clear - that is enough to see me not raid the next ten years.
Solo and Groupcontent is a gaming - Raiding is work!

AoC is a niche game and sometimes they live rather long...

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 12:36PM CheesecakeBandit said

I wish that MMO companies when shutting down their games would put out a method to run everything client side so that if people want to continue to play they can. It may stop being an MMO but at least people can still enjoy it if they want.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 2:19PM Seffrid said

@CheesecakeBandit

" I wish that MMO companies when shutting down their games would put out a method to run everything client side so that if people want to continue to play they can"

Keep dreaming, it is never going to happen and for very good business reasons. Why on earth should they put their entire game code and copyrighted IP material etc into the public domain?

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 9:03PM CheesecakeBandit said

@Seffrid Because single player games do it. If you cant support external servers drop em and make it single player or do something similar to dedicated server support that some FPS games use. I'm not saying let people make private servers and let them charge. Although it costs money to re code to make games playable without using complex MMO server architecture, I just wish that they would at least try before shutting them down.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 12:51PM Alarie said

It's all on some invisible timer the moment an MMO is launched. Enjoy your time and see it all. I have some good memories of Tabula Rasa. I think I left that game very satisfied, sad to see it go, but felt I saw enough of it.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 12:59PM DarthDan said

"...some lawyerly B.S. ensues and fans are forced to grab their ankles as a result." *cackles at the wording.... then gets a sad face, as that's more or less what happened with SWG*

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:02PM dudes said

I await the Funcom financial reports to gain some clue as to the future of the game. I hope it's good news.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:03PM Issmir said

Momento mori. It's tru about MMOs and... well.. everything else.

The fact that your time in an MMO is finite should encourage you to enjoy that time all the more, and to avoid the games that you don't really enjoy. And while a digital hobby/reality/whatever might only exist in our minds, I'd argue that all experience exists primarily in our minds.

So enjoy your time, experience what you want to experience in your game. And when, for whatever reason and in whatever year, your beloved game closes down, regret nothing. The game might be over, but those memories and experiences have, in some small way, become a part of who you are and will be.

(This post is MUCH more florid than I wanted it to be, but I'm taking a break from all the reading I'm doing for tomorrow's posts grad class. Sorry about that :P )

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:06PM Bhagpuss said

What CheesecakeBandit said is exactly what I always thought MMO companies should do. In fact, I'd be happy enough with just something like a zone viewer that allowed you to walk through the empty streets and fields of your now-forgotten land.

I'm pretty sure that would bring in a last windfall for the companies. I'd pay the same as for an expansion to have an offline sight-seeing utility for a game that was closing its doors.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:18PM Pingles said

To add even more doom and gloom Conan and SWG have another thing in common most MMOs don't: Licensing fees.

How much longer would SWG have lasted if it was just a SciFi MMO. Tabula Rasa likely met a similar fate. When the operator is making less than the holder of the Intellectual Property I thnk the shutters are thrown on pretty quickly.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:44PM BigAndShiny said

@Pingles
I wouldn't wager that there's another big conan mmo coming out soon.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 2:27PM Pingles said

@BigAndShiny

I was referring to the license fees Funcom has to pay to the holders of the Conan rights. It's just another fee that cuts into Funcoms revenue from AoC that they don't have to pay with an MMO that they develop with their own intellectual property.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 4:17PM paterah said

@Pingles Don't they pay the fee once every like 5 years? I wouldn't think it's a lot, on the other hand AoC isn't making a tremendous amount of money either.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:41PM DarkWalker said

One thing I would love is a MMO that offered some kind of off-line play mode.

It's not even too far fetched. While not exactly MMOs, the Diablo games work just like this. Even for bigger games, a single player or small group server would be actually quite light-weight, even if it provided intelligent NPC companions to help tackle group content; and most of the current MMOs can actually be lots of fun even for solo players. Besides, knowing I would be able to keep at least part of the game experience should the game end (or I decide to not subscribe) would do wonders in reducing the risk of purchasing an untested MMO.

As long as the developer/publisher were committed to provide the off-line mode should the game even close - and demonstrated that commitment, for example by keeping an up to date, but limited, off-line mode available just to prove they have a working version - I might not even need access to the full off-line mode to trust it would be delivered.

It could also be used to provided training grounds for select content. Suppose the developers think the skill level among players, when doing a specific kind of content, is too low, and the repeated failures are actually frustrating the players; one potential way to fix it, without nerfing the content itself, could be to release a solo training scenario tackling that specific kind of content, enabling players to practice without frustrating groups.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 2:36PM Seffrid said

I don't consider that I'm investing time or money in a game, or that I'm accumulating gear etc, I'm simply doing the same as when I watch a film or go to a concert, I'm just paying for a certain amount of entertainment time.

My only ambition in any game is to enjoy each session I play, otherwise what's the point? I'm not interested in grinding without fun through the levels purely to reach the so-called endgame, nor am I remotely interested in investing a load of otherwise unrewarding time into getting some ultimate achievement, either the game provides me with good entertainment throughout or I don't play it. Also, I play games in order to relax, not in order to attain goals.

AoC is one of those games like AC2, TR, SWG, WAR and FE - I don't play them enough when they're alive and will regret that if and when they die. I guess I don't play them enough because, although they do tempt me to subscribe from time to time, when it comes to logging in they aren't quite as tempting as some other games, yet I'd hate to lose them completely as indeed I regret the passing of AC2 and, to a lesser extent, TR and SWG. I hope both WAR and FE can survive, as well as AoC of course.

The sad thing is that most of the games that do close tend to be quite individual ones, while all the identical cutesy grindfest cash shop clones not only survive but multiply like topsy. We could lose a lot of those and no-one would notice!

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 3:02PM RichardOwens said

I invested money in a game once, Achaea by Iron Realms Entertainment it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. They make text adventure games. They essentially took my money then refused to assist in me in any way.

It's weird, with small companies, you either get AMAZING customer service or you get really POOR customer service.

They also make Aetolia, Imperian, Tears of Polaris and Lusternia.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 4:56PM Crsh said

Having been playing numerous MMOs since around 2002, I can't say that I ever missed whatever character and/or items I had in any of those games; it's indeed about the journey and not the rewards for me.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 7:10PM Celtar said

Welcome to life, Jef. It is all about the journey which could end at any time or place. Gaming is the same.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 7:28PM antagonistyahoocom said

"cheer the long-hoped for death of a game that somehow wronged you in the past (and hey, the lingering cries of "fail" would actually mean something at that point)."

Har har. I'll reserve judgement until after I've seen the Funcom financial report.

However, it is a complete and utter failure if you measure AoC against it's own potential.