Posted: Jul 24th 2011 3:24PM Bhagpuss said

I think A Mystical Land is a cut above the norm, not just for browser MMOs but for MMOs in general. It runs smoothly and seems very polished, which is unusual enough in itself, but it's the quality of the writing that really sets it apart.

I know quest dialog is something many just skip over, but I read it all (well, the first time through at least). I'd say the standard for MMO quest prose is somewhere between refrigerator handbook and junior high essay. It tends to lurch from dull, pedantic and obvious to overblown and melodramatic, often in the same paragraph.

The quest dialog in A Mystic Land is sharp, snappy, smart and witty. There's liberal use of irony and wordplay and a fair sprinkling of post-modernism to boot. And it's not just the quests, either. NPCs chat to each other and pass comments that are sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. The dialog options given to your character are often intriguing and clever.

I was impressed with pretty much everything about A Mystical Land, but the writing impressed me the most. The visual are equally amusing and quirky, but that's not such a surprise since there seem to be a lot more reasonably skilled artists working on MMOs than there are writers of the same caliber.

I'm guessing the creators are looking for a Pixar vibe, where younger and older players each find something different in the same content, because I came across quite a lot of jokes and lines that seemed aimed at an audience old enough to have kids, not who were kids.

I enjoyed it a lot and I'll be making repeat visits.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 3:51PM TheMustacheHero said

Is this game open to play to the public? It says its in open beta, but it says my "account isn't able to play in the beta".

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 4:33PM terroni said

@TheMustacheHero You have to sign up and accept the ToS

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 6:54PM TheMustacheHero said

This games writing is absolutely hilarious!

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 4:50PM Vazzaroth said

What, no link to the game? Just Massively tag searches?

This game instantly attracted me with the art style, and when I read browser based, I knew I'd have to try it out. I'm always looking for deep games to play at work between actual work. Time to go try it out!

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 5:04PM Beau Hindman said

@Vazzaroth Thanks for noticing. I was switching around my links and forgot to put one, so it's now linked in the first mention of the game. Thanks!

Beau

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 4:54PM Delvie said

Discovered the game this weekend and am having fun. You can use WASD, Arrow Key, or Point and Click to move which is very nice.

What most amazes me is that I hadn't heard about the game before - oh and that it's playable on Facebook. The other very interesting thing is that the plugin it's using is Portalarium (sp?) which is Richard Garriots new thingy (think it's something like Unity maybe?). Basically the technology that lets you walk around the 3d world in a browser.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 5:00PM Boojum said

A charming game to be sure, don't forget to read the text quest.

My toon just told a guard "I'm going to chew gum resin and kick wild boar arse and take names... and I'm all out of gum resin and I lack a writing utensil"

I lol'd

Amusing choice of background music too, killing level 1 wolves to Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' was a bit surreal.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 6:29PM dudes said

It's a Facebook game, but not bad. use Facebook search to get the app.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 6:33PM Beau Hindman said

@dudes well, Facebook is just one of the launchpads for the game. It runs off of the site, as well. They just are able to embed the game in a browser and use Facebook as an optional sign-in.

Anyway, I've never heard of a genre called "Facebook game" hehe...there are "social" style games, but those usually have nothing to do with MMOs.

Beau

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 7:23PM Vazzaroth said

@dudes

I'd much rather play through through the site. The window seems to be quite a bit bigger.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 10:44PM Pingles said

Was surprised to find that I could create a Neonga account and not use Facebook in any way. Nice. I don't need my relatives getting notifications every time I finish a Quest.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 11:12PM Beau Hindman said

@Pingles hehe it's not that type of game. Signing in with Facebook -- Facebook connect it's called -- is just a shortcut if you want it. I love it. Also, for those games that DO feature the "spammy" stuff you can simply not allow it.

Beau

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 6:23AM Loki1 said

damn, i was gonna try it until i read about quests.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 7:41AM Tizmah said

I don't see where people can call this game polished. I was able to run through trees, houses, etc. among other issues.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014