Posted: Jul 24th 2011 12:43PM JonBuck said

When I saw the price of the CE, all I could say was: What.

When I saw the price of the Digital Deluxe, all I could say was: What.

When I saw the price of the Standard Eduction... that wasn't so bad. I ended up preordering from Amazon rather than depend on downloading 10+ gb of data on opening day. It wouldn't surprise me of the sub was a couple dollars more per month.

Still, I'm looking forward to it. It'll have a lot more polish at launch than a lot of other MMOs.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:51PM DarkWalker said

@JonBuck

I was ready to get the pre-order for the most expensive digital version. Until the pre-order site refused to allow me to pre-order, and I saw the notice that the Digital Deluxe would also be available only in limited quantities (WTH?).

Now, I'm really tempted to get a STO lifetime, play that until I get bored with the game, then get a GW2 copy, play that until I'm bored with the game, to only then look if SW:TOR is already available in my country.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 5:06PM JonBuck said

@DarkWalker I've played STO since launch, though I cancelled my sub recently because I'm bored of it, even with the new combat update. Needs more content! Instead I'm playing World of Tanks.

It took 18 months to develop STO. TOR's had more than twice that time, so I'm much more optimistic about it.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:04PM KDolo said

"Naturally, Massively writers are richer than seven kings of Arabia combined and aren't concerned with such petty matters,"

we know! it's from all the money you get from distributors to talk about their games, right? :P

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:27PM ImperialPanda said

@KDolo

Uh oh, the secret is out.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 1:36PM sobelius said

At $150, that's about 15 first-run non-3D non-IMAX movies. That gives you about 30-40 hours of (passive) entertainment, some of which may be of high quality and some of which may be wretched.

I'm guessing that with each class having its own story, that's maybe 40 hours of content per class or 320 hours if you play them all.

Now add in subscription for a year, which we'll assume is $20/month. So another $240 for a year. Total cost is now $390 for 320 hours of play.

For 320 hours of first-run movie entertainment, that's roughly 150 movies (assuming a little over 2 hours per movie). At $10 a ticket, you're talking $1500 for the same amount of entertainment time.

So is a year of SWTOR worth $390. My answer is yes. And if you only get the basic digital version the cost drops to $300 (or $25/month).

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 2:40PM Pingles said

@sobelius

Well, as long as we are comparing things...

In the past year I have paid $40 total even though I have played many hours a week of a variety of MMOs.

So is SWTOR worth $350 MORE than you can get right now?

Honestly, I am HOPING that it IS worth it. But we are all just speculating and hoping.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 3:02PM DarkWalker said

@sobelius

At $300 for the first year, TOR will have to convince me it's better than purchasing a lifetime sub for a different Cryptic MMO each year.

At $20 per month, TOR will have to convince me that it's better value than the SOE Station All Access, which also costs $20 per month but gives access to 9 different subscription games. Or that it's better than a Rift plus a LotRO sub (or, if the press release for the Brazilian WoW launch was actually accurate, a LotRO plus a WoW subscription).

In the end, with a $20 per month subscription, I will simply not play it. The same way I stopped purchasing any Bioware games after they started charging for DLC, even though I actually love Bioware games.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 3:59PM Ordegar said

@sobelius

Bioware have said that the game will have 200 hours of play time per class; not including continuing end-game or expansions added later.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 4:00PM (Unverified) said

@DarkWalker

Where are you guys getting off with this "$20 a month" bull? Unless I see a direct quote from the developer or an FAQ statement, I'm not going to believe it.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:10PM sobelius said

@(Unverified)

In my comment I said I *assumed* the fee would be $20/month -- I made that assumption to play it safe in my calculations and thereby not underestimate the potential cost to play for a year.

If it turns out the official sub rate is lower, then great! Let's hope it's not any higher :)

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 2:13PM sobelius said

@Ordegar

200 hours per class would be awesome. I was thinking, though, of just the class-specific content -- the story content that would only appear for your class, not the content that would appear regardless of which class you play. I think 40 hours is a reasonable guess. I'd be hard pressed to believe that they could have 200 hours of unique class-specific content for each class -- that's 1600 hours of unique content!.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 2:05PM Laurs said

Well, all i can say is that i've been hyped for SWTOR ever since it was announced; and i'm not talking here about the type of "i want the game to be like this, i hyped because it will be exactly like *I* want it to be", no; i'm talking about regular updates for what i expected to be a decent alternative to my regular themepark fare in MMOs.

Now, growing ever closer to the release date i've honestly never been more at a doubt over if i should or shouldn't buy this game, what with all the leaks i've read and seen, i'm almost 95% of exactly what this game will turn out to be. In fact, if a few mates weren't gonna play the game with me, i would definitely ignore it.

BUT, *IF* EA has the balls to demand more than the standard 15$ month sub we've been accustomed to, i will surely not buy it. And if this happens, i'd sincerely wish the game would fail, purely because EA (and Activision) are becoming something that is slowly destroying the gaming industry.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 2:49PM uberman3000 said

You know you can do what I did and go to Game Stop put $5 down and reserve it. Then when I get paid I'll put $5-$10 more down till I have it paid off. I got the pre-order stuff for the basic version and hopefully I'll have it paid off soon enough so I can play it early. If there is a sub then so be it. I hope there isn't though.

Posted: Jul 26th 2011 6:22AM Delvenar said

@uberman3000 "If there is a sub then so be it. I hope there isn't though."

There's no "if" about this, Old Republic will have a sub. The only question now is how much. Speculation is it'll be around the standard $15 a month, but some people think its gonna be higher because it's EA.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 8:36PM Vazzaroth said

I hate MMOs for their cost. I like the games, but I'm not sure if they realize they REALLY REALLY have to have my attention in the gaming space that is my PC to get $15 bucks from me that month. Which is weird, because MMO's seem to be the least innovative genre in existence currently. (Ok, FPSs MIGHT win by a nose, but at least they are fun for the sheer thrill of shooting a gun/honing speed and skill against other players for awhile even if it's a retread.)

I pre-ordered TOR, but time will tell if they get a sub from me. I don't understand people who can say $15 a month is no big deal. $15 is not big deal. $15 a MONTH is HUGE. If I buy a game for 15 bucks that is just OK, I don't mind. I'll play it a bit and extract what fun I can from it. And it will always be there if it's patched, or a mod is released for it, or my tastes that week change. But with an MMO I have to wager with myself whether this will be the month I burnout and only play a single day or not. And the longer I'm subbed to one game, the more I'm tempted to quit while I'm ahead, because I can't help but look back and say "Boy, I could have (15 x month played) more dollars right now." and If i can't look back and say "But I had alot of fun!" then it's depressing.

TL;DR: Every MMO needs the Guildwars (2) payment system.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:01PM Ordegar said

@Vazzaroth

How much is a couple of hours at a music concert? Or how much does it cost to see two movies at the theatre? Or to go to an auto race? Or play miniature golf even?

If you play an mmo for more than say... 2 hours a month, then you're getting a good deal. If you play like most mmo players, then you're playing for more than that per day, so in my opinion it's probably the cheapest paid entertainment you can get.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 11:39AM rockman0 said

That's the same thing I thought. I'm most definitely not going to be able to purchase this all in one go. It's not that I don't have the money. I just can't afford to pay that much at once. I'm gonna put a little aside every now and then to save up for it though.

I've been looking forward to this game myself, and was sad to see the price that it was at.

Posted: Jul 27th 2011 4:36PM Vazzaroth said

I've heard this alot (And probably used it myself) but I do take some issue with the argument. Here's the thing:
I don't go to concerts, rarely see movies, and my biggest entertainment budget outside of Video Games is probably Magic cards. (Which is a cost I'm cutting out of my life, shit gets expensive, ugh)

But the problem is that MMOs should not get compared to real life events. They should get compared to other video games. I can buy a $30 game on steam with fun multiplayer and be entertained for weeks. Or a new release on my PS3 for $60 and have months of entertainment with my friends coming over and playing. Or I can subscribe to Gamefly for only slightly more than an MMO sub and get unlimited console games.
And the most important part of all of those games (Besides gamefly) is that I am not constrained by a time limit. An MMO has to prove itself to be consistently more entertaining that month than my library of 100 steam games which have an investment of Zero dollars this month, and/or more interesting than whatever game steam is selling for $3-10 dollars that day. So when all these MMOs have game mechanics they expect you to repeat for 5 months, I just don't see the appeal of the wallet-sapping boring grind.

In other words, I think to ask a sub, MMOs need to be the most spectacularly innovative and most frequently updated genre of them all, and I just think it's sad they are the polar opposite.

The Stream Team: Where the WildStar things are