Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 12:24PM alzeer said

the only thing i didnt like about the patch is finding that FFXIV is same as FFXI regarding instanced areas
meaning only few "copies" of the dungeon exist once the cap is reached you will have to wait for one of the groups to finish.

anyway this patch is big step forward for FFXIV
nevertheless the game still got more than few issues to address
i think 2 more patchs and the game will reach acceptable stage

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 1:40PM chum said

Pretty happy with the patch overall. I was surprised at the caster changes and they need a bit more adjustment imo but overall they were needed. There's definitely some good framework in place now for future content. I visited 3 of the outposts- definitely nice touches that break up the landscape and I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop. I couldn't help notice that the 3 I visited had boarded up wells. I'm hoping they're not just design features and we find out why...

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 1:52PM fauxcivility said

I'm enjoying the patch a lot :D

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 2:07PM LtRoosevelt said

As someone who hasn't played since release this is starting to look better. I would agree with Alzeer that it will take another couple of updates like this (big and meaningful) to make me give it a second chance, but it is good to see the game is moving in the right direction.

Personally I have a feeling it will take a while before I go back considering how many other MMO- that are on their way (TERA, SWTOR, Planetside), but still good to see.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 2:59PM HokieKC said

At this rate it may hit beta stage by 2012 and they may be ready to charge in 2013.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 4:11PM Bramen said

@HokieKC
You are SO correct on that!
I keep hearing about the changes and improvements, but then I remember how FFXIV was at release and SE thought it was GOOD to GO then!

That is what has always been the hardest pill to swallow, a AAA studio felt THAT game was chargeable.

I hope the changes to FFXIV fix it and make it profitable for SE. I just have a hard time ever coming back to "reward" SE for their stupendously bad release. =/

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 8:26AM Abriael said

@HokieKC someone likes to be stuck in the past i see.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 9:16AM Bramen said

@Abriael
It is funny you describe it as "stuck in the past." For me, the past was playing FF3 and being picked on for playing a game that had "bad" graphics instead of playing a "good" graphics game like "Street Fighter." The game was awesome and I held my ground, I was sold from there on out that a good game has a good story, fun game mechanics, and the graphics are a bonus.

THATS the past I think I'm stuck in.

Currently FFXIV had awesome graphics and poor gameplay. The story may or may not be good... I wasn't able to get to far into it because of the way it is told.

The reason I think it is funny you used the exact term "Stuck in the past" is because that is what I told myself when I decided to quit FFXIV. I felt like I was playing FFXIV because of the glory of previous FF games. But this current game stinks so I should quit and not play because other FF games where good. I thought to myself that I was "Stuck in the past."

I guess to each their own.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 10:05AM koehler83 said

@HokieKC

At the current rate, I think the game will be ready for shelf space by the end of this calendar year.

However, given the current climate of the MMO-sphere, I can't bring myself to believe it will ever be ready for a subscription model. I've pretty much perished the thought of paying a subscription fee. So now I have to wonder how they do plan to monetize once all these changes have been finalized. Will they simply sell the content and keep the service free like Guild Wars, or will they shoe-horn microtransactions.

How they ultimately handle that will likely be the biggest contributing factor whether I continue to play the game or not.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 3:25PM RadioActiveLunch said

I change my profile picture, and it says it may take up to 5 mins to show up, but it never does. I've changed it several times. Someone wanna tell me what's going on?

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 4:12PM Bramen said

@RadioActiveLunch

The same thing happens to me.
I see so many posters with this M thing that I assume it has happened to everyone and Massively is ... to lazy or uncaring to fix it. Just my opinion. Dunno why it does that.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 10:27PM cyranal said

@RadioActiveLunch

Crap! I've got a giant "A" instead of a giant "M"! :(

I was having the same issue and for me it was the fact that I was using Chrome. None of my images would upload no matter how many times I tried. I logged in using Firefox and it worked instantly on the first upload. I can't find any specifications but I also kept my image at 64x64 and kept the file size small. Good luck.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 5:01PM Bhagpuss said

I shouldn't be surprised at the negative reaction on the forums. EQ players, be it EQ1 or EQ2, have a deep aversion to change and pretty much anything that ever happens gets shouted down. It's been like that way back to the time SoE had to close their own forums for a few months because they were so toxic. In fact, reactions nowadays are positively zen-like in comparison.

In this case, however, I was somewhat taken aback. You'd think this idea hadn't already been tried in EQ1.We heard all the same fears expressed there before Mercs came in and none of them turned out to be true. In fact Mercs ended up being an extremely popular and successful addition to the game, revitalized it for many players, and led to a lot more grouping below the level-cap.

Mercenaries don't replace players in any situation where you'd otherwise have another player, any more than the beastlord's warder is going to take a group spot from a live person. What mercs do is allow two or three DPS classes to make up a full group and do group content without having to wait for ages for a healer and a tank.

Even more importantly, when your live healer has to go walk pick up her kids from school the group doesn't have to go on hiatus until a replacement can be found. Someone just pops put their Merc and everyone carries on. Then if the healer comes back from the school run and wants to carry on, she just logs back in, sends a tell, the merc goes back in his owner's bag and the healer takes over.

Really, it's all win with Mercs. There is no downside. They were a wonderful addition to EQ1 and they'll be great in EQ2. And after they've been in for a week no-one will be able to imagine how they managed without them.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 5:25PM Ghostspeaker said

@Bhagpuss

I think you responded to the wrong post.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 6:09PM LA1111 said

I logged in for a bit to check out the changes. Pretty good improvements if you ask me. It's not a miracle patch but I think they have laid down a solid foundation. Yoshi-P mentioned after 1.18 the patch cycle would speed up because the new battle system was live. Here's to hoping they continue adding meaningful content. There is still a ton of potential for the game with a re-release and possible re-branding, i.e. Final Fantasy Online Adventures or something like that. Anything to get the bad taste from the "14" label out of players' mouths. Definitely one to watch

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 10:33PM cyranal said

As a gatherer, I mostly liked this patch. Skill point gains essentially doubled for awhile and I gained a rank at 36 almost as fast as I gained ranks in my teens. But the greatest part about this patch is that it actually brought some of my old linkshell members back just to try it out. Still, I don't even play it that much (weekends only) and I'm not sure I'll continue to play it when it goes to subscription based. Essentially I'm playing 14 still because it's FREE and I'm waiting for SWTOR and ArcheAge to come out. It's not like I have a lot of free time these days so I have to be choosy about which games I'll actually pay for. But this was a good step in the right direction.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014