Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 8:45PM oxlar said

CoH destroys CO on just about every level except one: Freedom to mix and match powers. If they could implement a more custom method for power selection, there would be no reason to play CO over CoH. Period.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 9:14PM blakerefuge said

@oxlar

Other than the completely different and hardly comparable combat mechanics.

I'm a CO lifer, and prefer it tenfold to CoX, which I played for about 4 years back in the day. I'll definitely be checking out CoX Freedom when it launches though. CO always gets way more trash talk than it should. The game is in a terrific place now, especially compared to launch.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 10:49PM Utakata said

@blakerefuge

You mean only 8 slots per account as oppose to 12 slots per server? Unless you pay for more or grind toons to max level to get an extra one. And this is with their premium service.

...I could go on about more examples of CO's limitations, but CoX is far more generous in comparison. Even when they do go Freemium.

@oxlar

You may say that, but I found the powers that CO had was far more limiting in scope than powersets in CoX which are rich in variety. I agree, it would be nice to have a Brute who could Blast, but there's lots you can do with Brutes and Blasters that you couldn't do in CO. And come Freedom that list will expand greatly.

If there is one thing CO had over CoX was far more fluid mechanics when it came to combat and action. Something that in IMO is far more advanced than CoX. And the faster and more dynamic pace of it was refreshing. But the game itself was very limiting if not by design but also it's business model. Making that MMO theme park feel small and contrived. And CO's development cycle is at a snale's pace. Unlike CoX which is always pushing for change and quite frequently. It's why I keep coming back to CoX despite it's more dated than WoW, than I do with CO...which I have never done since I left that game. /shrug

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 11:17PM oxlar said

@blakerefuge Your right, it is different.

CO is clunky, the implementation of the travel powers suck. The game mechanics of what powers you can run and activate are conveluted. It needs to be cleaned up. The visual activation of forms only happens when your in combat. LAME. The powers themselves have a very limited visual representation. Sure you can customize the colors of some of them. But where is the cool fire sword type stuff? Oh lets not get started on the costume options. Weak sauce man. Its like a direct lift from CoX and they make you pay for basic common styles and pieces. That many years after CoX and all they have to show for it is a few customizations with graphics that are blocky and lame. Oh graphics, yeah thats one more issue. Cell shading?!?! Seriously? I mean I knew it was going to stink on ice when they first changed to it in development, which is about the time I lost interest in its development cycle. But then you see it in action and its like having all these blobby black lines in between every single thing. They wanted to make things stand out but all it does is give you a screen full of eyesore.

So your right, there are lots of differences. Unfortunately, I'm a customization junkie and thats the draw for me on the powers. So if CoX could implement that level of customization, BAM! I'm there.

Posted: Jul 24th 2011 6:11PM Protoavis said

@blakerefuge

Oh geez, it's the "can't take any critisms for CO" blakerefuge, I can remember back to when CO was going F2P and how you had the same mentality to any and all comments (even on the official forums, apparently the devs can do no wrong), where even the highly valid ones were apparently just trolling in your eyes.

It's kind of funny that you admit CO now is much better than it was at launch about 2 years ago and yet seem to think CoX after 4 years hasn't changed. If a game that was admittedly poor by all changed to decent in 2 years is it not possible a game that was good 4 years ago and has a significantly faster development cycle might have changed just a bit?

I have to agree with the person who mentioned travel powers, they really aren't awesome in CO, something like teleport in CO where you turn into a wisp and just move slightly faster than normal compared with CoX which actually is teleportation, transporting huge (or small) distances in an instant....was always something that stood out to me when I've tried about the games at various points (I don't think either are particularly good, I was holding out for marvel but that's going to be a stinker of epic proportions so no super hero MMO for me)

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 12:47AM Rammstein said

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware that the subscription fees would continue after the Free-To-Play aspect was released. Good to know, either way. I might just subscribe again anyways to see what I've missed in the last 3 years of not playing.

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous